PDA

View Full Version : Can't receive mail in Outlook

imbenz
3-9-02, 11:01 AM
I have just set up my account with Powweb. I have had my domain Name Servers transferred to Powweb's and my domain name is propagated. My problem is that I am not receiving my email in Outlook 2000. I can send email through Powweb's email servers and I can see my email in my web based mail, it just won't download to Outlook. My Pop server is set to "pop.mydomain.com". Any suggestions as to what I can try next?

MannInc
3-9-02, 12:00 PM
Try changing the POP server from pop.mydomain.com to mail.mydomain.com and switching the port from 25 to 24.

imbenz
3-9-02, 12:24 PM
The problem isn't with SMTP, that is working fine. When I go to send/receive in Outlook I am getting no errors at all, yet no email is being pulled off of Powweb's email servers. I can go into web based mail and see my mail there. I can send mail through Outlook.

DaveMac
3-10-02, 11:53 PM
I have the same trouble. As nearly as I can tell, it isn't a Powweb problem, but my local ISP blocking any possibility of relaying mail, probably a feeble attempt at preventing SPAM. Changing ports (25 to 24) doesn't affect anything. Anybody who finds out how to circumvent this will be everyone's hero.

MannInc
3-11-02, 01:33 AM
Have you set up your accounts to work through Microsoft Outlook?

To make sure, under the tools menu choose services... You should see at least 2 services here, Internet Email and Personal folders.

Under properties for the Internet Email, you should have:

General Tab

Name: Your Name
Email: any@yoursite.com

Servers Tab

Outgoing Mail: mail.yoursite.com
Incoming Mail: mail.yoursite.com or pop.yoursite.com

Logon Using:

Account Name: Email User Name
Password: Email User Password

This is be all you'll need to send and recieve email. This is exactly how I have setup my account through Microsoft Outlook 97. I don't know what version anyone else is using, but this should be similiar in your version.

Let me know if this doesn't work!

imbenz
3-11-02, 05:40 PM
Yes, everything is set up as it should be in Outlook. Am using my login name and password, have set pop up using both mail.mydomain.com and pop.mydomain.com. Outlook gives me no error messages either way, it acts like it makes the connection and yet doesn't download the mail from Powweb's servers.

Starr
3-11-02, 05:46 PM
Can you ping mail.yourdomain? Does it come back w/ a 64.63.125 IP?

DaveMac
3-11-02, 09:11 PM
I can ping it and get the proper numbers. I can add my powweb address to outlook at my office and it works smooth as silk.

I am totally convinced it is something my miniscule-minded ISP is doing on this end either to stop spam from their domain or to get me to pay $60 a month for a spot on their feeble server.

Again, I don't think this is a powweb problem.

MannInc
3-11-02, 10:16 PM
Personally, I would contact your ISP with this issue to see if it's on their end. If they are blocking it to try and get you to host with them, I'd look into getting a new ISP.

DaveMac
3-11-02, 11:52 PM
I've contacted them, no reply (yet.) I have their package deal --- phone, cable, and Internet. The hassle of changing all that out is a nightmare. I figure I will wait until I get the dish, and kill them all and survive on my cell.

They're the only cable modem deal in town at the time. I'm too far out for DSL and too cheap to spring for a satellite link at this point. AOL and a 56K dial-up doesn't cut it. So. . . . .I seem to be stuck for the moment.

Seems like you could work a deal with them, but no results.

MannInc
3-12-02, 12:07 AM
I've got just a 56K connection. My cable company was going through @home, but now is trying to build it's own cable modem access. They're getting there, but I'm hoping for DSL. My line pre-qualified for it, but Verizon hasn't rolled out the connection here in North Central PA yet. Hopefully, they will get on the ball and bring me my broadband. :)

acme
3-14-02, 12:53 AM
Well, I've looked through all the forums I can take! And I've searched the faqs page more than I want to! I have the same problem, I cant recieve mail through OUtlook either, and I'm not sure the answer is even here. I've done the change from ports and MAIL vs. POP...So What Now!

DaveMac
3-14-02, 12:51 PM
It was a struggle, but I found the secret, at least in my case.

Set up your Outlook as normal. (Mine pulls my e-mail from my ISP as well as all my powweb addresses.)

For outgoing mail, set smtp.your_isp.com (or .net)
For incoming, set mail.your_domain_at_powweb.com (or .net)

My ISP's smtp didn't require authentication. Port 25 worked beautifully.

And, when you read the mail server number, make sure the
ISP doesn't have a typo in the listing. That was the crucial
point that gave me all the grief. You might even have to type in the mail.domain.com instead of the 123.14.67.890 number.

Good luck!

bparker.com
3-15-02, 11:50 AM
I had to do the same thing as Dave and use my ISP's smtp server to send outgoing mail. I have Earthlink DSL, and they don't allow another smtp server on the service. It's annoying, but it all comes out the same in the end. I have no problem with my incoming server, and, because the smtp does not require authentication, I can use my website email address.

Starr
3-15-02, 01:23 PM
If you use earthlink you must change the SMTP port on your email client from 25 to 24 to send using our SMTP server.

MrP
3-25-03, 05:34 PM
damn, well i have the same problem as listed above and it makes no sense.

i can send mail using the powweb server , recieve it in webmail, but can't recieve it through pop3 client. I get no errors, so it makes no freaking sense.

i can check the email of many of my other domains from other services, so i doubt it's my ISP's end as some people above think was their problem.

If you remove the password ( remove the option to remember password) and try to only RECIEVE your email .... it just does it with no errors ( edit: yet you get nothing in your inbox). So it makes completely no sense, it's not properly contacting the powweb mail server is what i can best tell based on that.

Makes no sense.

My solution? I just have to make myemail@whatever.net forward to another account of mine.

crappy solution.... but i like everyone else have spent too much time trying to find the problem to no success.

EMAIL ISNT THIS HARD

OH but wait... read the the solution in my case below. something very very simple i hope is the solution for some of you

MrP
3-25-03, 05:49 PM
Ok.. well i figured out how to get it to work.

This still boggles my mind, but here it goes.

I'm using outlook express 6,
hitting the 'send and recieve' button does nothing other than send emails if i have any outgoing. It however does recieve emails i've sent to myself from remote machines to webmail - yet no errors or new mail when checking using pop3

ok... so as with the others above.. this makes no sense.

But if i go to tools > send and recieve > ( 4 options here)

"
send and receive all ( ctrl+M)
send all
receive all
------
mail.yourdomain.net ( default)

"

and choose the 'recieve all' it does nothing. But if i click on the last option to use my default mail server.... it works!

i don't get this though, by it being listed as the default server to use, that means it's obviously set up correctly in the account properties.

So the solution!?!?!?

Make sure the option is checked that says "include this account when recieving mail or sychronizing" in the acct options.

I don't know why it was unchecked... but it was a silly overlook.
I hope this may solve a few of your problems, since this was driving my crazy for a good 30 minutes of reading through other ppl's problems.

cheers