PDA

View Full Version : Relaying denied from your location

weddingsite
12-15-04, 02:07 AM
I am sending an email to someone @maltanet.net and getting this error below. Any idea what this is? Thanks.

host mail2.maltanet.net[194.158.37.195] said:
553 sorry, relaying denied from your location [66.152.97.36] (#5.7.1)
(in reply to RCPT TO command)

ticoroman
12-15-04, 02:10 AM
Perhaps it's something about http://forum.powweb.com/showthread.php?t=39633

(I'm guessing...)

weddingsite
12-15-04, 02:13 AM
It shouldn't be as I have already added the txt record in ops.

B&T
12-15-04, 09:14 AM
Are you using an open relay (through forwarding)?

lsimpson4
1-20-05, 10:21 PM
B&T

I am getting a relay error message and was wondering if you could assist? A domain at GoDaddy has email forwarding back to a POP3 mail account on my hosting package but when I send an email to the new domain from my domain (it works from Yahoo webmail) I get the following error message.

This is the Postfix program at host mail02.powweb.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<kevvy@kevvy.net>: host smtp.secureserver.net[64.202.166.12] said: 553 sorry,
relaying denied from your location [66.152.97.35] (#5.7.1) (in reply to
RCPT TO command)

B&T
1-20-05, 11:48 PM
I have read your first paragraph 3 times and I just don't get what you are saying (maybe I am slow tonight).

But generally as for relaying messages . . . many ISP's (like AOL for sure) are on the lookout for open relays where you can send a message to one address and have it automatically forwarded to others - like using the PowWeb multiple recipients as a mailing list.

Now I don't get what your situation is, so I cannot respond. Give me real examples and maybe it will make sense.

As for the mesage you received, it would appear that secureserver.net has detected such a situation from your PowWeb mail server (forwarded messages) and is saying no.

lsimpson4
1-20-05, 11:58 PM
I am sending an email from @qldaus.com domain to @kevvy.net domain. The @kevvy.net domain is an email alias with the GoDaddy register pointing to another @qldaus.com POP3 account with Powweb.

When I send an email to @kevvy.net from my @qldaus.com account I get that error message. The email sent should arrive on an email account on the same domain I am sending from but I am getting the relay error. I sent an email from my Yahoo webmail account to @kevvy.net and it worked without bouncing. Hope this makes sense? So I am not going through any other ISP's mail server as far as I can tell and the error message seems to suggest that Powweb is blocking the mail from arriving. Any ideas?

B&T
1-21-05, 12:00 AM
that does not make sense to me. You are obviously going through:

<kevvy@kevvy.net>: host smtp.secureserver.net[64.202.166.12]

Which is not PowWeb.

lsimpson4
1-21-05, 12:15 AM
Ok when you set up a domain with GoDaddy you get free email alias forwarding and free web page forwarding. I have set up one email alias as a catch all on the @kevvy.net domain which forwards mail (no POP3 account just forwards) to my package which is the @qldaus.com POP3 account. So when mail is sent from @qldaus-POP3 to @kevvy.net (which forwards to @qldaus POP3 account) I get the relay error. This does not happen if I send an email to @kevvy.net from my Yahoo webmail account. Would a text record get around this? I read some of your earlier posts on these.

B&T
1-21-05, 02:24 PM
The problem is what smtp.secureserver.net is rejecting. And I cannot see that you have any control over that. They can block forwards/relays from any location they want. And they do not have to be consistent. Based on what you have said I do not see how they are even involved in the message, unless that is GoDaddy's server.

this does not appear to be an spf issue, but a relay/forwarding block.

tmc
1-21-05, 05:55 PM
This error sounds very similar to ones we saw a lot of when the email address "ownership" was introduced a while back. In OPS does the mailbox you are using to send the email own the email address used for the "From?"

lsimpson4
1-22-05, 12:16 AM
Thanks B&T. Yes smtp.secureserver.net is GoDaddy's server. Oh well, appreciate your assistance.

lsimpson4
1-22-05, 12:18 AM
Yes sending account has me as owner and I am able to send mail to any other account.

stevel
1-22-05, 08:56 AM
The "relaying denied from your location" message is different from the standard "relaying denied". It suggests that GoDaddy is selectively choosing to block mail coming from one or more of PowWeb's servers. This is something you will have to work through GoDaddy's tech support to find out exactly what is going on. A quick check on senderbase.org doesn't show mail03 being on any realtime DNS blocklists.

lsimpson4
1-23-05, 06:43 PM
Thanks stevel...

I'm actually on mail02 does that make a difference?

B&T
1-23-05, 08:08 PM
I'm actually on mail02 does that make a difference?It is not PowWeb that is doing the rejecting.

lsimpson4
1-23-05, 08:19 PM
Thanks B&T. The Help Desk are confusing me now they are indicating that Powweb is blocking the mail? When I read the original error message I read it to mean Powweb was blocking but I don't understand these matters. I've pasted the Help Desk response below...

PS The email address kevvy@kevvy.net is already listed in my auto white list too by the way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Powweb. The Greylisting feature is designed to
detect spammers and may have inadvertently blocked an email address that is

not a spammer. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have
experienced.
To avoid this in the future you may either turn off Greylisting or keep
Greylisting on while adding the blocked email address to the Whitelist
through
the Whitelist tab.
To turn off Greylisting log into OPS at https://ops.powweb.com,
-click on the Hosting Packages tab
-click on the Email tab
-click on the SMTP tab
-click on the Greylisting tab
-select "no" from the drop down menu and click on the Update button.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.
Thank You,
Michael R.

Toll Free: 1-877-4-POWWEB
(1-877-476-9932)

B&T
1-23-05, 08:22 PM
I think I have told you all that I can in the above 4-5 posts.