PDA

View Full Version : Sender address rejected: Domain not found (in reply to RCPT TO command)

WATRD
12-25-04, 11:46 AM
I get this error when I attempt to send mail to some addresses. I am assuming that I have something configured incorrectly in my outgoing mail, but I don't know what.

What do I need to fix?

This is the Postfix program at host mail07.powweb.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<foo@foo.com>: host mail.adhost.com[216.211.128.3] said: 450
<myaddy@mydomain.com>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found (in reply to RCPT TO command)

stevel
12-25-04, 06:56 PM
I'm sure it didn't say "mydomain.com"....

This is usually due to a misconfiguration of your e-mail client if the sender address is for a non-existent domain. It could also be, if yours is a new domain, that the receipent's mail server has not caught up with DNS propagation yet.

cajnet
12-25-04, 09:27 PM
Hi there, I'm getting the same kind of message- I can recieve email but not send it from what i'm using...

-Christian

WATRD
12-26-04, 12:34 AM
I'm sure it didn't say "mydomain.com"....

This is usually due to a misconfiguration of your e-mail client if the sender address is for a non-existent domain. It could also be, if yours is a new domain, that the receipent's mail server has not caught up with DNS propagation yet.

You are correct, the errors have the correct user name and domain. I removed them to protect the "innocent", so that's not it.

The domain name has been registered for about four years and has been operational on Powweb for several weeks, so I am guessing that is also not it.

The error repro's consistently on some servers, but the mail works great with others, so I am guessing that those servers are looking for something that is not being provided.

Could this have to do with the SPF record for the domain?

stevel
12-26-04, 08:52 AM
I doubt it is related to SPF, but it could be that the receiving server uses this error message for SPF failures.

You could at least mention the real domain name, if you want anyone to have a possibility of helping you.

WATRD
12-26-04, 10:50 AM
Okay, I didn't realize that the domain name would help in any way...

This is the Postfix program at host mail07.powweb.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<username@wattora.com>: host mail.adhost.com[216.211.128.3] said: 450
<username@watrd.com>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found (in reply to RCPT TO command)

joshuamc
12-26-04, 01:26 PM
<username@wattora.com>: host mail.adhost.com[216.211.128.3] said: 450
<username@watrd.com>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found (in reply to RCPT TO command)

This isn't making sense. You are sending and receiving from adhost.com but then there are two different addresses??? My guess is that you are either trying to send mail out and you are not using that domain for the incoming and outgoing mail server. (Powweb doesnt allow you to send mail out like that anymore) OR...the domain is expired. Either way, this is a setup issue..not a server-related issue.

stevel
12-26-04, 01:56 PM
The message makes sense to me. The e-mail was sent to username@wattora.com, which is hosted by adhost.com. The sender address was username@watrd.com. watrd.com's registrar, Network Solutions (feh!) points to PowWeb's name servers, but PowWeb's name servers don't know that domain. An IP translation for the domain would fail, hence the error.

So... The issue at hand is that PowWeb doesn't believe that watrd.com is a PowWeb-hosted domain. Is it? If so, then you need the help of support to fix the DNS problem, as PowWeb's DNS servers time out when asked about that domain.

See how having the actual domain names helps when reporting a problem?

BTW, the web site www.watrd.com doesn't work either, for the same reason.

WATRD
12-26-04, 03:00 PM
Okay, now I am confused.

The answers above seem to conflict. But I do see why you needed the 'real' domain names :)

To add to the confusion, I see http://www.watrd.com just fine, as well as the subdomains I have set up and http://watrd.com as well.

So far, the adhost server seems to be the only one that is spitting that message back to powweb, but unfortunately, I need to send a fair bit of mail to the wattora.com domain.

I understand the concepts of what you guys are discussing, but I could use a hand with what you think my next step should be in debugging this.

Thanks!

IanS
12-26-04, 03:11 PM
Okay, now I am confused.

The answers above seem to conflict. But I do see why you needed the 'real' domain names :)

To add to the confusion, I see http://www.watrd.com just fine, as well as the subdomains I have set up and http://watrd.com as well.

So far, the adhost server seems to be the only one that is spitting that message back to powweb, but unfortunately, I need to send a fair bit of mail to the wattora.com domain.

I understand the concepts of what you guys are discussing, but I could use a hand with what you think my next step should be in debugging this.

Thanks!You seeing watrd.com doesn't help (other than knowing that you see it) a great deal - it's probably cached on your machine. I don't see it either - has the Powweb package expired recently? The domain was registered 16th Oct2002, so a 14mth + 12mnth renewal would take you to 16th Dec 2004 - only a few days ago. Check in OPS the status of the package.

WATRD
12-26-04, 03:26 PM
From Network Solutions:
watrd.com - Expiration: Oct 11, 2006

From OP's:
Ordered: 12/08/04 3:51pm
Activated: 12/08/04

I know that at least some people are able to see the site, like I am. I have looked at it on multiple machines with a few different browsers and I have had friends from around the US and Canada take a look at the site as I was developing it.

Is it possible for it to be "partly broken" or is that like "sort of pregnant"? ;)

IanS
12-26-04, 03:33 PM
Is it possible for it to be "partly broken" or is that like "sort of pregnant"? ;)Can be 'partly broken' but is more likely different to 'sort of pregnant' - Temporarily pregnant, or 'think I'm pregnant' are possible, 'think I'm broken 'cos only part works' is what seems to be happening here.

WATRD
12-26-04, 03:42 PM
So, what would your recommend as my next step. If you can't see it, then obviously something isn't right, regardless of whether some *can* see the domain. Quite likely this is the root of my mail problem or so I would suspect.

stevel
12-26-04, 04:02 PM
You posted what your domain registrar had - that is fine. It is the PowWeb side of things that is not. Log into Member Operations for your package. Is it active? Check the History tab.

Either your PowWeb package expired and PowWeb removed your domain from its servers, or something is broken and PowWeb needs to restore your domain to the PowWeb DNS servers.

I expect that the web site will start failing for you soon.

WATRD
12-26-04, 04:08 PM
From my post above, just below the registrar info;

From OP's:
Ordered: 12/08/04 3:51pm
Activated: 12/08/04

Everything in history/op's indicates that the package is active and in good standing.

stevel
12-26-04, 04:47 PM
In that case, someone from support will have to "reload your zone table" for DNS.

WATRD
12-26-04, 05:08 PM
Thanks! I now have a ticket open in support and it says;

"open: being reviewed by LaureyM"

Hopefully that will resolve my mail issues and the fact that you can't see the site. :(

stevel
12-26-04, 05:14 PM
Ah, the Wicked Wench of the Web. Laurey will fix you up, I'm sure.

WATRD
12-26-04, 05:17 PM
Now don't go causing trouble... I included a link to this thread for more details in my trouble ticket ;) ehehehehehhehe ;)

WATRD
12-26-04, 05:21 PM
Bingo!

"Your site was experiencing a DNS problem and I have touched your records.
The update should take place within 4 hours. If you still are experiencing
problems at that time, please reply."

Man that was fast :) I am going to find something to amuse myself for a few hours, then test it out again :)

Thanks for the assist here :)

stevel
12-26-04, 05:33 PM
Oh, Laurey already knows about me.... Glad to hear that the problem will be resolved. And see what including all the information can do to getting you an answer?

WATRD
12-26-04, 06:20 PM
And see what including all the information can do to getting you an answer?

I know, I know... but in my defense, I had just finished reading the article on security on B&T's site where he talks about giving out the minimal amount of information and masking what you do give out, so I was in a paranoid frame of mind :) I have been doing web sites and managing domains for years, but this it's been a seriously long time since I was on a *nix server and I am still trying to get my feet under me as to what is important to share and what isn't.

Thanks for being patient :)

Right after I posted last, mails from the past few days began to trickle in a few at a time, so obviously they were backed up somewhere. I still can't send mail to watrd.com addresses from any account on the adhost.com server, but I am assuming that will change as the DNS info percs through the system.

Any idea what might have caused my DNS to go haywire? I am *assuming* that it's nothing I did, so is there anything I can/should be doing/not doing moving forward to prevent a reocurrance?

stevel
12-27-04, 06:38 AM
It may not have been anything you did. I have seen reports from other customers where the DNS zone information "just disappeared". What I suggest is to sign up for a monitoring service (I use websitepulse.com) that will alert you to problems.

WATRD
12-27-04, 11:17 AM
Thanks! I will look into some monitoring tools. As of this morning, the tools on that site say everything is working normally, however, when I attempt to send mail to an account on the watrd.com domain from an account on the wattora.com domain, I still get this error;

"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'username@watrd.com'. Subject 'morning test', Account: 'username@wattora.com', Server: 'mail.adhost.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '450 <username@watrd.com>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 450, Error Number: 0x800CCC79"

*sigh*

stevel
12-27-04, 12:23 PM
Your DNS is ok now. You just have to wait until adhost.com updates their DNS - may be 2-3 days.

WATRD
12-27-04, 12:47 PM
Got it. I will keep attempting to send a mail from time to time and see if it gets resolved over the next couple of days.

I guess of all the things that can go wrong with a site, the DNS records are a pretty big one to have go wrong :(