PDA

View Full Version : PHP/MySql and Vbulletin....

wpgwave
6-27-02, 11:49 AM
Hi I downloaded vBulletin Lite just to test out... I c you use the fullversion here so someone may beable to help me....

i purchased MySql and got my username/pswd and DB name and where it is... Good right?

Now i put vBulletin into my HTDOCS folder on the server. in the dir it required. Good right?

vBulletin asks me to change the config.php and i do as per the instructions...

$servertype="mysql";

$servername = "xxx.powweb.com";

$dbusername="xxxxx";
$dbpassword="yyyyy";

$dbname"The name I gave it ";

//name for the admin for vBulletin
$cppassword="xxxxx";

ok does this look right?

now vBulletin ask's me to go to the url ex:

http://www.myurl.com/vBulit/admin/install.php

Did it... now i keep getting a 500 error...????? did i miss something... O BTW I am very new at this...

The version of vBulletin was php3.... is this the right one?

thanks!

stagemaster
6-27-02, 11:59 AM
Make sure you transfer all .php files using ASCII text mode (not binary). Then chmod them to 755. Hope that helps! I had the same problem with phpBB.

wpgwave
6-27-02, 12:09 PM
yah i tried phpbb...same thing... ill 2x check the ascii mode... also i have no idea about the chmod 755? what is it and what can i do to fix it!!! THANKS! for such a fast response!!!

stagemaster
6-27-02, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by wpgwave
... also i have no idea about the chmod 755? what is it and what can i do to fix it!!! chmod is a Unix command to change file permissions. Most good FTP programs, like Cute FTP or WS_FTP Pro allow you to execute a chmod. Using WS_FTP Pro, right click on remote files, select FTP Commands, CHMOD.

alphadesk
6-27-02, 12:43 PM
Here's a little chmod toy that will show you what happens when you chmod with WS_FTP. Maybe it will make it clearer for you.http://help.powweb.com/tutorials/ftp/wsftple.php

wpgwave
6-27-02, 01:28 PM
Ill givi it a try thanks for the help... "I might be back...."

wpgwave
6-27-02, 04:41 PM
Good news... im not a pc user.... lol

bad news... i tried uploading it in text mode "Fetch" for mac now i get a diff error...as follows

Execution of (vblite/admin/install.php) is not permitted for the following reason:

Script is group writable.

Server Data:

Server Administrator/Contact: webmaster@canadianpaintball.com
Server Name: www.canadianpaintball.com
Server Port: 80
Server Protocol: HTTP/1.1

Request Data:

User Agent/Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Mac_PowerPC)
Request Method: GET
Remote Address: 24.72.50.204
Remote Port: 49449

------------------------

now i 2x checked the folder of vblite and it is set to 755 and all my folders for that matter.... what am i missing i checked thr config.php in the admin to make sure it was the correct info... ????

sophiespo
6-27-02, 08:25 PM
If it is saying install.php is group writeable then youve gone wrong somewhere with your permissions. You should have them set as follows:

User: read - write - execute are checked
Group: read - execute are checked
Other: read - execute are checked

It sounds like you have the permissions set to 775, which means the write bit for Group is checked. Once you sort this out, you should be good to go.

wpgwave
6-27-02, 10:25 PM
got it going ... not sure how... but it is... now here is a question for the admins... how much space will this forum take 10/topics/ 100 usere?

am i looking at extra storage charges?

alphadesk
6-27-02, 10:32 PM
You "should" have more than enough.

wpgwave
6-27-02, 10:45 PM
got it going ... not sure how... but it is... now here is a question for the admins... how much space will this forum take 10/topics/ 100 usere?

am i looking at extra storage charges?

wpgwave
6-28-02, 01:20 AM
Thanks all!!!