PDA

View Full Version : domain name ownership - how do I get it back

asryn
4-21-07, 10:41 AM
Hi,

I have had a domani name registered www.asrynkennels.com since 2004 and registration was paid up to November 2008. Pow Web have been hosting my website. Due to a misunderstanding this week Pow Web thought my account with them was fradulent and they cancelled my account and say they took ownership of my domain name (without consultation or permission). Whilst this was all a mistake Pow Web support staff say that there is no way they can transfer a domain name once they have taken ownership of it and there is no way I can get it back and I now will have to take another domain name. This is a buisness web address printed on huge nunber of marketing matreial and so this is a very stressful situation for me.

I have contacted the registra that I registered the domain name with and asked for them to clarify if the domain name has in fact been transfered to Pow Web and if this happened how this can happen without my permission or authorisation or even being warned that an application for transfer of ownership had taken place. I havent yet had a reply but Im deperate to know of any options available to me to get my domain back. Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know of any potential avenue that would allow Pow Web to transfer ownership back to me. Im pretty desperate for a solution. - Karen

Doc C
4-21-07, 11:47 AM
All the domain contact information points to Domain Registry Group Inc aka DROA. Just do a Google search for DROA and you'll see they've been involved in "domain slamming" for years.

IanS
4-21-07, 12:13 PM
I think some kind of privacy protection is turned on at DROA - the e-mail is privacy@...
Powweb haven't taken control of the domain - they aren't the registrar and don't deal through DROA but through TUCOWS who would be shown as the registrar of record.

They may well have suspended the domain package. Discussion of billing issues isn't permitted. You need to deal directly with Powweb support and DROA your registrar.

As Powweb haven't (can't) transfer ownership to themselves, they can't transfer it back.

I'd advise turning off any privacy protection and transferring to a different registrar - many are cheaper than DROA but we're encouraged not to name alternatives to Powweb for business reasons. :(

entrecon
4-21-07, 12:13 PM
I am looking at the registration information and it points to Karen Bryant (one of the site owners) with the e-mail going to DROA as a Privacy thing.

Where did you register the domain? Was it with DROA?

Since your site deals with kenneling dogs (I looked at an archived version of your site), did PowWeb indicate how they thought it was fraudulent?

Did Merle over at Visual Impact just design the site, or were they actively maintaining it too?

asryn
4-21-07, 07:48 PM
Thanks, Im new to all this so dont understand much of the mechanics. Ive emailed DROA as yet havent had a response. Ive also queried Pow Web support saying that I dont think they have taken ownership of the domain because I didnt think they could legally do that. Ive now spoken to four seperate support staff there who say they have taken ownership from me and cant reverse it so I cant use it anymore. If Pow Web have suspended the doman pacgae what does this actually mean. I have paid an have a valid account with POw Web but they say they cannot link it to the domain www.asrynkennels.com because when they took ownership it because unusable to me. Im wondering if this is just a glitch in their system and whether (assuming I do still own the domain) another host could use this domain to host my site.

asryn
4-21-07, 07:51 PM
HI, yes Visual Impact designed and maintain my site and do a fabulous job but they are at a loss to explain how to deal with this situation also (though they agree that they cant understand how Pow Web can say they have taken ownership of the domain I have registered. I know Im not supose to discuss account details so I'll just say that the fradulent listing was a mistake - it never was fardulent - its been my accont for years. But the imediate response from Pow Web was to 'take ownership of my domain'. Ive queried this with them - they just keep saying that is exactly what they have done and they are sorry but because they have done this I cant use the domain name again and I have no choice but to register another domina with them (obviously with a business this is not a satisfactory solution.)

asryn
4-21-07, 08:30 PM
Is there a central place I can go (other than the registrat which in my case is DROA) to check current ownership and status (whether Pow Web have done thing other else other than take ownership as they claim) of my domain asrynkennels.com ??

Doc C
4-21-07, 09:13 PM
The registrar of the domain has changed since my post this morning. It's now BRANDON GRAY INTERNET SERVICES, INC. DBA NAMEJUICE.COM.

Have you received an email from either Domain Registry Group or the name above? If do, did you renew with them?

Are you contacting PowWeb through the live chat, email or phone with contacts listed on this site?

It sounds like your domain has been stolen and I doubt it's PowWeb.

tpoynton
4-21-07, 10:56 PM
whois.net can tell you who the current registrar is

Doc C
4-21-07, 11:32 PM
So can my post. :)

tpoynton
4-21-07, 11:45 PM
just answering the question...while your post is certainly helpful, i wouldnt call it a central place to check current ownership and status :)

how's the saying go? 'give someone a fish, feed them for a day. Teach someone to fish...'

Doc C
4-21-07, 11:53 PM
You are right. I also checked Network-Tools and DNSStuff to verify all the data.

IanS
4-22-07, 05:26 AM
The full data is useful:

Domain Name: ASRYNKENNELS.COM
Registrar: BRANDON GRAY INTERNET SERVICES, INC. DBA NAMEJUICE.COM
Whois Server: whois.namejuice.com
Referral URL: http://www.namejuice.com
Name Server: NS2.POWWEB.COM
Name Server: NS3.POWWEB.COM
Updated Date: 20-apr-2007
Creation Date: 10-nov-2004
Expiration Date: 10-nov-2008
and later
Registration Service Provided By: Domain Registry Group Inc

Domain name: asrynkennels.com

Registrant Contact:
Private Registration
Karen Bryant (privacy@droa.com)
+1.8664340212
Fax: +1.8664340211
2316 Delaware Ave Suite #266
Buffalo, NY 14216-2687
US

Administrative Contact:
Private Registration
Karen Bryant (asrynkennels@optusnet.com.au)
+61885202942
Fax:
PO Box 538
Two Wells South Australia, 5501
AU

Technical Contact:
Private Registration
Karen Bryant (privacy@droa.com)
+1.8664340212
Fax: +1.8664340211
2316 Delaware Ave Suite #266
Buffalo, NY 14216-2687
US

Name Servers:
NS2.POWWEB.COM
NS3.POWWEB.COM
It would appear that 'Namejuice' are resllers for DROA or have some connection with them.

By going to Namejuice you can get the password sent to the registered e-mail address and manage your nameservers and check/change ownershipt details. I still very much doubt, despite what you're being told by Powweb support, that they have taken 'ownership' of the domain name. They have probably taken 'ownership' of the account not the domain name. Hopefully the privacy service will forward mail to your correct and valid admin e-mail address.

Croc Hunter
4-22-07, 06:14 AM
You need to contact this Karen Bryant - (asrynkennels@optusnet.com.au). I'll bet she recieved a letter from DRoA warning her the domain was going to expire and she must renew with them now! Or lose the domain (even though DRoA were not even the registrar). It's a scare tactic DRoA was hauled through the Canadian High Court for and ordered to cease.

The login information etc. you will need if you wish to manage/move the domain to another registrar should have been sent to her email address. Karen Bryant (asrynkennels@optusnet.com.au). Karen is in Australia, so am I. I recently had to deal with DRoA for a client of mine who was duped into this scam.

Get in contact with Karen and explain what has happened. Then have her forward you the login details. You need to at the very least, change the nameserver entries to ns1.powweb.com and ns2.powweb.com at DRoA then goto Powweb OPS> Main> and associate the existing domain with your account here.

*This is a draft of what to send to DRoA if she doesn't have the login info. You really only need 1.

Dear Registrar DRoA,

I cannot login to my account or have my password resent. I forthwith wish to have my domain name (domain.com) transferred to another registrar. Please supply me the following immeiadiately to (Karen's email)

1. Re-issue me my old or a new working password.
and/or
2. Unlock and Issuse me an authorization code to release my domain name.
3. Remove the privacy setting on my domain.
4. Set a valid administrative email address of (Your email).
5. Change nameserver entries to ns1.powweb.com and ns2.powweb.com.

Failure to respond in a reasonable and timely manner to said request 1. above as you DRoA are bound to by law. Will result in complaints lodged to ICANN, RCMP, the Federal Trade Commission, other relevent authorities and industry peer's.

Disatisfied Paying Customer,
(domain)

tpoynton
4-22-07, 08:48 AM
...Network-Tools and DNSStuff...

You usually give better answers than I, and both of these are better than whois.net...I need another GB of memory.

This thread is quite informative, and I hope it helps get some resolution for the OP.

asryn
4-22-07, 09:24 AM
HI,

sorry to ask for some explanation - Im new to all this and Im not sure what everything everyone has suggested means. I have not asked for the domain registra to change to this BRANDON GRAY INTERNET SERVICES, INC. DBA NAMEJUICE.COM I did owever ask for it to be changed to Go.Daddy.com after someone suggsted early in this tread that I change registra's. This hasnt get happened - Go.Daddy still have it as pending. So how did it get changed to another registrar that I dont know of - or is this perhaps what Pow Web initiated when they say they have taken ownership. How do I get into Namejuice to get the password sent to the registered e-mail address and manage your nameservers and check/change ownershipt details - I wont be able to login because I dont have an account with this NameJuice group. Sorry Im sure it all should make sence but I just dont know this stuff. Someone mentioned that perhaps Pow Web may have taken control of my domain account rather than the domain itself. How does this work and what does it mean?

Croc Hunter - Are you suggsting I send the email template you wrote to someone? Sorry I wanst quite sure of what I should do reading your email.

Im getting really concerned Im not going to get the domain back - as a buisness this is really serious for me- a large portion of our clients come to us thorugh this website which is adertised extensively.

Croc Hunter
4-22-07, 10:23 AM
Croc Hunter - Are you suggsting I send the email template you wrote to someone? Sorry I wanst quite sure of what I should do reading your email.
Are you the webmaster of this site or not? First email Karen, she is the administrative contact for the domain. Ask her for the login information and wait for her reply. Is your English not good? I can fix this this easily if you want me act on your behalf and contact Karen?

asryn
4-22-07, 10:41 AM
Ok now I think I understand the confusion - I (asryn) am Karen Bryant. I have emailed tonight both DROA and BRANDON GRAY INTERNET SERVICES, INC. DBA NAMEJUICE.COM asking for clarification of which one of them is currenlt registrar (DROA still says it is when I login in) and Ive asked for the domain name to be unlocked, an authorization code to release my domain name, removal of the privacy setting on my domain as per your template. I have login details for DROA but not for Name Juice so I have asked gthem for a password also. I assume from what Ive read tonight that if I can get an authorisation code then I can transfer the domain to a registra of my choice and that should get well well on my way to resolving this issue??

YvetteKuhns
4-22-07, 02:42 PM
have had a domani name registered www.asrynkennels.com since 2004 and registration was paid up to November 2008. Pow Web have been hosting my website. Due to a misunderstanding this week Pow Web thought my account with them was fradulent and they cancelled my account and say they took ownership of my domain name (without consultation or permission). Whilst this was all a mistake Pow Web support staff say that there is no way they can transfer a domain name once they have taken ownership of it and there is no way I can get it back and I now will have to take another domain name. This is a buisness web address printed on huge nunber of marketing matreial and so this is a very stressful situation for me.

Did you contact PowWeb to explain that someone from another domain name registrar attempted to renew your domain name after you fell for the email scam? Your domain name still appears to point to PowWeb. Can you login to OPS or FTP to your web server? Your web design company should be able to do this if you can't. PowWeb would not take over your domain name, but they can disable your account. Your website is cached on Google, but it will soon disappear. Contact Visual Impact as soon as possible to help you deal with PowWeb or another web host if necessary.

PowWeb should explain why your web host account was disabled. Was there too much bandwidth usage? Was your mail server sending too much email? There must be a reason. I doubt that you had inappropriate contents. I don't think your domain name has been "taken" from you, because your name still appears in the technical contact with it. Contact Domain Registry Group Inc to be sure you are able to login to manage your domain name. Don't be rude to them, because you must rely on them to gain control of your domain name.

Best of luck!

Croc Hunter
4-23-07, 12:28 AM
I've Private Messaged you Karen.

asryn
4-24-07, 12:16 AM
Thanks to all who offered help and advice here and especially to Croc Hunter who went over and above to help me deal with Pow Web over last 24 hours to get this problem fixed even when their tech staff told me there was nothing that could be done to fix it. The help has been invaluable and I couldnt have have got this problem resolved without this forum. Site www.asrynkennels.com is now back up and Im a far more relaxed person than I have been for the last four days. Thanks agian - Karen

Doc C
4-24-07, 12:22 AM
I am glad to see your site back up and running. I checked it out and it's a very good site. Beautiful animals.

I'd still try to get it away from that registrar and transferred to another one as soon as you can. But that's just me! :)

asryn
4-24-07, 02:01 AM
Already in train (change in registrar) I have the authorisation code now so should be able to effect change today :)