PDA

View Full Version : Links from an external pages from .ru sites?

PaulF
8-21-11, 09:33 AM
I have a Website for a canoeing and kayaking guide book. I occasionally look at the Links from an external pages for my site. I have noticed a growing number of Russian Websites in the list. What is the reason many .RU sites are doing this?

PaulF

snowmaker
8-21-11, 09:41 AM
I don't quite follow you. Do you mean you have a growing number of Russian websites in a Links page on your site? Are these links added by you only, or can anyone add them?

PaulF
8-21-11, 09:50 AM
I am looking at the "Visitor Statistics" from POWWeb for my site. In the stats under the "Connect to site from" is a "Links from an external page (other web sites except search engines)".

Many .RU sites appear in the above list.

snowmaker
8-21-11, 10:00 AM
Ok, I was thinking in a different direction. I despise spammers. In fact, I have performed my mod duties 6 or 7 times already this morning. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Now I'm thinking you're site is just growing more popular in the former Soviet Union..

PaulF
8-21-11, 10:09 AM
I forgot to mention that my paddling guidebook is about North Carolina, so there is little reason for it to be popular outside of the US.

Could it be that the .RU sites are trying to increase their site's ranking by seeming to link to many other sites? If my theory is correct, I would expect many others to also be seeing references from .RU sites.

PaulF

snowmaker
8-21-11, 10:28 AM
I viewed the site in your profile. I saw no references to Russian sites. However, if some of these other sites are ones that you really don't want them to link to you, there's not a whole lot you can do. There are some things, mind you, like having a robots.txt file (instructs search engines what pages to list or not, which is not obeyed well except by the majors (google and what not)), or just renaming files in your site so external links don't work anymore (although this affects normal users bookmarks, so it's a drastic measure). Then there is manual coding to block visitors by referral. This is not 100% reliable either. But again, I saw no 'bad stuff' on your site. I don't know if you have any ads or anything on your site, I have AdBlockPlus installed in my browser, so I wouldn't see anything if you do.

rainbore
8-21-11, 10:51 PM
I'd suspect that the Russian sites are hotlinking one or more of your images. A quick check of your server logs should show you exactly what's going on.

landmarkal
1-1-13, 12:29 PM
Although this thread is over a year old, I found it through Google today. Was curious of the same thing myself. It's only in my site analytic stats. Nothing that anyone else can see. There must be about a dozen .ru sites per month with 3-6 links to my site. They are strange things like news sites or automotive. Nothing to do with my Christian ministry site in Texas, USA. It is not happening from any other country. Only Russia. Can't see why they would link to me except for the comment about images. Puzzling.

Thanks