Thread: What do I need to run PHP/MySQL on my home computer?

What do I need to run PHP/MySQL on my home computer?

Comet seems to be experiencing a number of performance issues today and that's making set-up of my site a real pain.

It occurs to me that it might be useful to be able to run MySQL/PHP on my home computer, so I can test all of the changes I make here and then upload the finished site to the servers, instead of tweaking a few things and uploading them to find out what I did.

I figure I need MySQL, so I'm downloading that from mysql.com right now. But I don't know what I need to make PHP work. I downloaded the PHP 4.30 installer from the PHP web site but that wouldn't let me run PHP files.

Basically I want to be able to run this stuff locally, through my web browser. Is that possible?

I'm on Windows XP, by the way.

hammondhill
    You will need to download PHP 4.3.0 ZIP package. You will also need to downloadApache 1.3.27 and configure it to run with PHP 4.3.0. To do this open the INSTALL file from the PHP zip file and it will tell you how to do this. After you install Apache and PHP just go to http://127.0.0.1 in your web browser and click on the file you wish to run.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I think I can get it running from there. I'll post if I have any troubles, but I expect this will make the organization of my site much easier. ^_^

Do a search for PHP triad. MUCH EASIER!

It's called something else now, but if you can find a version on download.com you'll be fine.