Thread: Referral spam

Referral spam

Please do not try to use the PowWeb forums to build up referral credits for online "freebie" offers. This is a form of spam and such offers are rarely "free". Offending posts or threads will be deleted.

Thank you

Everywhere! Currently Mallorca, Balearic Islands
    Wish I understood what that meant...
    The pen is mightier than the sword. Except when the other guy has the sword
    LinnetWoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by linnetwoods
    Just be glad you're innocent
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Hmm... Glad to be innocent, sad to be ignorant... still, I have a more pressing worry now and one that you might, if you are feeling so inclined, be able to help me with...
    Ever since I went to PowWeb's tools department and went spinning wildly round the Internet, encouraging all and sundry to find me with their search engines, I have developed a little problem... because of security issues, it appears that some entity/entities links a website to a number of some sort - I'm not sure if it's an ISP number - and now, when I go to open my home page by typing in just the site URL (www.linnetwoods.com) I get a little grey interface warning me that there may be some certification isssue in play because this website is not issuing from the same 'address' as it was before...

Perhaps search engine submission robots actually monitor the computer from which you e-mail them rather than checking out where the site is hosted.
    I don't know, but what I do know is that I would hate people to decide not to visit my site because they are 'warned off' it.

I move from one computer to another, town to town and back again, always using public Internet for my access except when I can persuade someone to lend me their connection for a day in exchange for a spot of sailing or whatever.

Do you know if there is some way I can get my site excepted from the general rule of one site one 'address' by filling in some agreement never to turn rogue and permit bad stuff to happen through my site?
    LinnetWoods.com

Two words: Free iPods.

Yes, of course! What? What on earth are iPods?
    LinnetWoods.com

Yes, of course! What? What on earth are iPods?
    http://www.ipod.com

jschein
    lmfao Free ipods...

It means putting links to anything with an affiliate # or link to boost your own information elsewhere for monetary or personal gains.

like your website - linnetwoods.com is correct, wrong is linnetwoods.com?12341ref124341

I believe this is what they are saying... missed the ipod ordeal

Um... An iPod... is it a dubious link? Is it an mp3 player? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? I feel I have entered a world of surrealism from which there is no turning back... or perhaps this is a game of Call My Bluff, in which case, let me explain the term iPod to you: The iPod is a special case in which one can keep one's glass eye, or 'i' as we SMS texters nowadays call the ocular organ, - an attractive and unbreakable hinged shell opens to reveal a soft and snug interior, ensuring that your i travels safely in a non-scratch environment. For the doubly visually challenged, there is the Twin iPod, with special braille instructions on the lid to ensure that one opens it the right way up...

If I get ONE SINGLE complaint about this being in poor taste I will:

a) know it must be some misguided political correctness freak (with a full complement of working eyes, as in two) forgetting that even one-eyed people know how to laugh at their afflictions or:

b) know that someone must have ratted to a Twin iPod user that I have written this here... Or does PowWeb offer a braille version of the forums too... oops, I may be in trouble. Oh what the heck - you only live once...
    LinnetWoods.com

Talking Full marks to snowmaker

Incidentally, snowmaker managed to solve all my troubles via PMs by pointing me at the fact that (somehow, I know not how) all the images on my home page were announcing that they came from https URLs rather than the http URLS they really emanated from. A quick dash around the html erasing esses and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover... all is well. Kudos to snowman - I have to go and find his thingy so I can ask to raise his reputation, deservedly... thanks for this excursion into Macdom... I'm afraid the only apples I understand are Adam's and Granny Smiths...
    Last edited by linnetwoods; 3-28-05 at 03:38 PM. Reason: my i's are tired...
    LinnetWoods.com

To spell it out, 'referral spam' is where you give an URL to a site that rewards you for drawing traffic to a site. Usually you will see a 'ref=' in the URL, this identifies the subscriber to the scam responsible for any given hit. Recently there were (and possibly still are) a number of "free iPod" scams going and we saw a flurry of related posts on these boards.

An iPod is an MP3 player of sorts.

I'm closing this thread because it's supposed to be an announcement of policy, not a discussion.