Thread: alphadesk

alphadesk

alphadesk
    Member Spotlight #3

Name: Keith
    Birthday: 9-16-50 … soon to be 54 if you’re counting
    Computer(s): At home old Dell P450 … it’s like the every ready bunny. I keep waiting for it to crater but it just keeps on going. At work … Dell 2.4 gig with flat panels

Favorite Design Tool:
    Don’t really have a favorite. What ever it takes to get the job done. I use FrontPage, Notepad+, Xara Webstyle mostly. I do miss using mysqlFront. It was so easy, but I have adjusted.

What first brought you to PowWeb?
    Price … Price … Price … brought me here. The only other host I have used was twice the price and a tenth the features. I checked the other day and they are now close to the price but still about half the features.

How long have you been a customer?
    Over 3.5 years now.

As one of the oldest (member time, not age ) and most respected forum members, what has been PowWeb's greatest strength over the years?
    Their commitment to continuous upgrades and improvement of the system … without raising the cost a single penny, but mostly the PowWeb big wheels (no not mjp) listening to customers and delivering when possible.

Do you visit any other forums?
    Yes … I belong to several. One just to raise hell.

When did you first begin doing web design?
    5 years ago I took some computer classes out of necessity for my employment. One of the classes was web design, but really all we learned was basic FrontPage. It was enough to get me hooked. Most of what I know about design was learned right here at the forum.

You once told me you love to travel. What's your favorite destination?
    This is an easy one. $500 … 2hr flight and I’m on my favorite reef in Cozumel, MX where things are slow and easy. I must be Mexican in a previous life, wife and I even siesta just like the natives. I love it.

Seriously though the reefs in Cozumel are some of the best anywhere in the world.

Outside of web design and computers, what are your other hobbies?Diving of course. My other passion is sailing. We own a CAL 25 MKII which we keep on Sabine Lake. Weekend trips to Galveston, Lake Charles or just sail out and drop the hook for the day. We also do some club racing at the local yacht club. You’d be surprised how serious some of these people take these friendly match races.

Several years ago I was racing with a friend and another boat snared one of our shrouds and snapped our mast. Mast, boom, sails and ¼ in steel wiring all over the place, all time they were dragging us backwards. We were very lucky someone did not get seriously hurt.

What do you do when someone falls over and is hanging on while racing? Cut them loose, they are causing to much drag.

You mentioned that you've recently taken up the task of raising a fifteen year old daughter - how's that going?
    It was fun while it lasted. The only thing that really bothered me was the non-stop ringing of the telephone. She moved to Florida with her father at the end of the school year.

If there was one thing you could do tomorrow with no reprocutions, what would it be?
    Jump on a plane and head to OZ (by myself). Croc promised me a Great Barrier Reef dive. One day I mean to take him up on that offer and of course we would invite Neville if his wife will let him come.

Anything else you'd like to say?
    I’d just like to say thank you to all the members that have helped out in the forum. If it wouldn’t be for the members the forum would just be a couple old men … (jj) and I crying about our ex wife’s.

Since I get the last word, I'd like to thank alphadesk for his dedication to this forum. He's been the backbone of the forum and it wouldn't be as strong as it is without him.

Wow, you are even older than my husband! I was always attracted to older men. I will say Happy Birthday! now though my birthday comes before yours, Sept. 9th.

So you like sailing? You can't really take a laptop there and get connected to the Internet. But everyone can use a break from that.

For some reason, I pictured you with a Mac. Maybe it is your age, experience or intelligence. I guess, like me, you gotta use what is out there that supports all the cool software.

Love ya!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by YvetteKuhns
    For some reason, I pictured you with a Mac. Maybe it is your age, experience or intelligence. I guess, like me, you gotta use what is out there that supports all the cool software.
    Now that's a low blow...

Tom, I miss the Mac. No viruses, attacks, crashes... But the fonts were quite small.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

on hiatus
    I miss the Mac. No viruses, attacks, crashes...
    No crashes? I thought OS9 crashed every time you moved the mouse? Ah, what do I know. Last time I worked on a Mac was 1984...click the word processor icon, go get a sandwich while it loaded...ah, those were the days!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne.../apple.trojan/

It's all expensive junk in a few years anyway.

Kudos to alphadesk, king of this here mountain!

OK - I'll keep score:

Windows: 3,264,254 (estimated)
    Mac: 1

on hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonekkt
    OK - I'll keep score:

Windows: 3,264,254 (estimated)
    Mac: 1
    Your user ratio appears to be pretty accurate.

On a related note, I just read somewhere in the last couple weeks that the number of linux desktop users has now surpassed the number of Mac users. That was very surprising (even to me), but probably inevitable.

Very very funny.

Doesn't surprise me about Linux users really - Linux runs on x86 systems and Apple uses proprietary hardware. Apple once allowed clones - other hardware makers to use the Mac OS. That didn't go over too well and Apple lost too much money.

Think we've taken this off topic mjp. Heh.

on hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonekkt
    Think we've taken this off topic mjp. Heh.
    Then allow me to reiterate: Kudos to alphadesk, king of this here mountain!

Last time I worked on a Mac was 1986. Some of those computers were faster than waiting for Windows to boot up! All you saw was the DOS prompt.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by mjp
    Then allow me to reiterate: Kudos to alphadesk, king of this here mountain!
    I'll drink to that. Here here!

What? I don't get to come along to AU too *snif*.. I'm a certified diver.... (haven't been in over 10 years.. but it's like a bike, right?)

the forum would just be a couple old men … (jj) and I crying about our ex wife’s.
    Hey, I resemble that remark!!! , besides, I don't cry about them, just what they took with them

To me, Alpha is this forum! For a time there were very few who bothered to answer users questions, but you could always count on Alpha showing up with the right answer. I am positive that there are many still around who would have given up early on, if not for the constant help offered by him.

Thanks Keith, for all that you've given and the many times you've helped me along the way.
    If silence is golden, then I must be worth million$

(jj)
    Jack
    (jj)'s Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjp
    Last time I worked on a Mac was 1984...click the word processor icon, go get a sandwich while it loaded...
    ... come back, swap the floppy disk for the one with your document on it, go get another sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by Laurey
    What? I don't get to come along to AU too *snif*.. I'm a certified diver.... (haven't been in over 10 years.. but it's like a bike, right?)
    You can come visit me in Melbourne. It's not so warm as Queensland, and not many opportunities for diving (unless you're hardcore), but the shopping is much better

Alphadesk rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by alphadesk
    If there was one thing you could do tomorrow with no reprocutions, what would it be?
    Jump on a plane and head to OZ (by myself). Croc promised me a Great Barrier Reef dive. One day I mean to take him up on that offer and of course we would invite Neville if his wife will let him come.
    The all female crew is waiting for us Alpha
    You were so helpful and patient with me on my very first post here and you still are today.
    You are the heart and soul of this forum. Thank-you for being a great friend.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

I still remember swapping those 8 inch disks... Many moons ago!
    Kim
    TN Talk Forums - Debates, Politics, Tennessee Titans, Moto Guzzi's and more!
    WebHostingTalk.com - Please wait for the bus to come to a full and complete stop.
    There is no "best" fishing boat. There is only the fishing boat that is best for you!

Okay, Berks and I had to provide a photo. Will we get to see a photo of alphadesk? Come on. I love older men. Ask JJ!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

I agree... A photo of Alpha on his boat pulling in a big fish would be a good one!

Okay, Berks and I had to provide a photo. Will we get to see a photo of alphadesk? Come on. I love older men. Ask JJ!
    Kim
    TN Talk Forums - Debates, Politics, Tennessee Titans, Moto Guzzi's and more!
    WebHostingTalk.com - Please wait for the bus to come to a full and complete stop.
    There is no "best" fishing boat. There is only the fishing boat that is best for you!

Congrats Alpha...you deserve it and more. Been to MX for spring break, but never made it to Cozumel, but I heard it was very nice (and also for the diving).

I like the pic of you above...but it doesn't do you justice

We should change this forum from Member Spotlight to Member Roast.

alpha once gave a photo ...
    I thought you were going to post a picture from Woodstock!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

on hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by NMS
    alpha once gave a photo...Photo ...he is the one in the center of the picture.
    No offense alpha, but that's the ugliest tshirt I've ever seen.

Thumbs up

hahaha, teens and their phones
    Hey Alpha, was it a typo when the question was asked on raising your 15 yr old daughter and you responded, she moved to Florida with her father at the end of the year... Did you mean to say Mother? Or are you saying you're the mother?

But yeah, Alpha is the heart & soul of PW forums. He's been VERY helpful to me (& others) ever since I graced this board. People like him get to go to heaven real easy...

Thnx 4 all Alpha-1
    Imagination is reality...

I'm so smoov,I move to my own theme music.

Thank you all ...

Let me finish this off with a quote from one of our most colorful politicians ...

"Never get caught in bed with a dead woman or a live boy ... it can ruin your political career" ... Edwin Edwards

Who is next in the hot seat? Any volunteers?
    Thanks,
    AlphaDesk

Those who can read and don't are no better off than those who can't. - Sam Clemens

Let's expose JJ!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Let's expose JJ!
    I'm game. Let me begin writing some questions and we'll find more about our resident Geezer.

Let's expose JJ!
    I'd rather see one of these nice threads about jj... but if he's going to start flipping open that trench coat, I'm outta here

Alpha I appreciate all your help in the past and look forward to seeing many more post from you. Congrats.

symo