Thread: mjp

mjp

mjp
    Member Spotlight #4

Name: Michael Phillips
    Birthday: 2/4/60
    Computer(s): Many Win2k (and Tivo) boxes sprinkled around the house, all tied into one central brain. I used to run a linux server at home to demonstrate how elite my skills were, but I broke it. You may draw your own conclusions about my skills from that revelation.

How long have you been employed by PowWeb?
    I reached the two year mark a few days ago.

What's your primary job with PowWeb?
    I am the Operations Manager. Here at PowWeb that means that I oversee the day to day operations of different departments; support, development, etc. In the two years I've been here I've also done support, billing and web development as well, so I feel like I know the joint inside out.

I know you've been in this industry for awhile - how long exactly?
    Eight or nine years. First web site went up in '95, then I got my foot in the door doing tech support for an HTML editor software company in New Jersey. I was in Los Angeles, so I enjoyed the perks of a remote staff position - something you know a little about, right Tom?

Rate yourself on your knowledge of the web hosting industry when you first came into this business compared to today.
    When I first started working in the industry my knowledge pretty much consisted of knowing how to upload my sites to best.com without breaking them (most of the time). But back then, that was about as much knowledge as anyone had. We were all figuring it out together.

I used my support experience for the software company to wrangle a job at Affinity Hosting here in town, and that is where my real education began. The first week there I found myself not only answering support calls and email, but also sitting in the server room for a few hours a day (an ice cold glorified walk-in closet) setting up new accounts on NT servers and wondering what the hell I'd gotten myself into. I'd worked my way up to support department manager by the time the company was sold in late 1999.

I took a couple of years off after the sale of Affinity, promptly forgot everything I'd learned, and eventually wound up here at PowWeb, where they took on the task of re-enlightening me. It's been great. The company was already successful when I came aboard, but not so big that you couldn't learn everything that was going on.

I'm interested in the hosting industry on the technical level, as a business and as a phenomenon, so I think I'm pretty up on what's happening. Many people predicted the "commodification" (is that a word?) of hosting years ago, and that's where we are now. Your internet connection at home, your web site, your email are now commodities rather than marvelously geeky secret toys. Your grandmother has email and sends you links to flash cartoons and political blogs, so get over it. We aren't cutting edge anymore.

Outside of web hosting industry, what are your other hobbies?
    I don't have time for any hobbies, man, I work for a web hosting company! Outside of work I write, make weird paintings using ancient Chinese calligraphy methods, watch my girlfriend paint, watch movies and (way too many) shows on Tivo, play ball with my dog and hunt down rare Charles Bukowski publications.

If you didn't work in this industry, what would you be doing?
    Writing, making weird paintings, watching my girlfriend paint, watching movies and (way too many) shows on Tivo, playing ball with my dog and hunting down rare Charles Bukowski publications. To earn a living I would probably be a printer, which is what I did for 15 years before I conned my way into this line of work.

If you could meet one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
    Hmm, there's no one I'd like to meet. I make it point not to meet people I admire. The people in high places who I have had the pleasure of meeting have left me unimpressed.

If there was one thing you could do tomorrow with no repercussions, what would it be?
    Get in the old Isuzu Trooper with my girl and my dog and start driving. Go wherever we want to go, stop when we feel like it, and come back home when the time seems right.

Anything else you'd like to say?
    I'd like to thank you on behalf of myself and the group, and I hope we passed the audition!
    (Bonus "old geezer points" if you get that reference.)

Also, I read once that Steve Jobs said every company should have a resident poet, and I think he's right. Almost everyone I've worked with in this industry has been a creative person, both inside and outside of the office. That kind of creative thinking and open-mindedness goes a long way toward making a run-of-the-mill company a really great company.

Thumbs up

Based on my forum exposure - mjp is a top-notch individual
    Enhance your PowWeb experience @ B&T's Tips & Scripts
    Got some free time? You can find Nothing of Value @ PrettyWorthless.com

You got that right B&T.

I'd like to thank you on behalf of myself and the group, and I hope we passed the audition! (Bonus "old geezer points" if you get that reference.)
    What do you mean, old geezer points? I am 36 and my favorite php programmer Nick just turned 22 and we know that Beatles reference!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Sounds like another version of Microsoft to some extent... Microsoft using Mac's in their offices but here you've got a company living by the linux world yet swearing by Microsoft.

MJP's definately been a help to me a few times - Thank you - Congrats - Keep up the good work!

mjp is definently one of powweb's elite. I can think of a few that left their mark here...and mjp is one of them.

Isn't it great you get such great positive feedback for your job. All I can hope for is a free sandwich at the Christmas party.

jeffery
    mjp's a young 44

on hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by BerksWebGuy
    Isn't it great you get such great positive feedback for your job.
    Yes it is!

It almost makes up for the years of abuse I took doing tech support!

Almost.

mjp is a great guy with alot of patients. And 44 is young compared to my husband who is 53. I wonder if he has a punching bag at home to use after a long day at tech support. Or maybe he just soaks in the jacuzzi.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by YvetteKuhns
    mjp is a great guy with alot of patients.
    He's a doctor too?!

Oops! I can't believe I didn't type patience! My sister has been complaining about going back and forth to the doctor and I guess that was stuck in my head.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

mjp... only one word... EXCELLENT!
    "poke mjp and tbonekkt every chance you get" --(jj)

Almost everyone I've worked with in this industry has been a creative person, both inside and outside of the office.
    so true. most of the guys working for powweb are musicians. we have 1 dj, 1 or 2 hip hop artists, 1 piano virtuoso, and couple of dread heads(including mjp ).

I think mjp is trying to start a new web-hosting band. keep up the good work boss man.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonekkt
    He's a doctor too?!
    I've heard tell that he does have a Doctorate Degree in BS

Seriously, MJP has always been a "turn to guy" for me, someone whom I can turn to when I have a question that no one else can answer. Thankfully he also has a sense of humor and can forgive stupid mistakes (yeah, I've made at least one).

Thanks MJP, for being a great addition to Powweb and a really nice guy to have around
    If silence is golden, then I must be worth million$

(jj)
    Jack
    (jj)'s Playground

Michael fits in well here because he is a natural born people person. He is approachable, commited and genuinely likes helping others. He tries to act tough. Like one of those street wise punks who'll stick you for your milk money. But that's just a smokescreen. Just humor him.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered

re: mjp

he's been an asset to the company since he started, excelling in the support, web development, and now operations dept. personally he's my web development mentor. ...and he's actually pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by nokujin
    he's been an asset to the company since he started, excelling in the support, web development, and now operations dept. personally he's my web development mentor. ...and he's actually pretty funny.
    I suppose you are a powweb employee then?

Quote Originally Posted by NMS
    I suppose you are a powweb employee then?
    Former employee.

on hiatus
    Wow, thanks for all those unsolicited accolades (checks are in the mail). Though it feels a bit like eavesdropping at your own funeral...

Quote Originally Posted by mjp
    Wow, thanks for all those unsolicited accolades...
    All well deserved. You are a good "face" for PowWeb. I hope they know it.
    Enhance your PowWeb experience @ B&T's Tips & Scripts
    Got some free time? You can find Nothing of Value @ PrettyWorthless.com