Thread: symo

symo

symo
    Member Spotlight #6

Name:
    Robert (Bob) (symo) Symington

As my avatar says, Portland, OR; Chandler, AZ; Colorado Springs, CO and Albuquerque, NM. I work for a heavy industrial General Contractor in Portland, OR. My home is in Hillsboro, OR, where the lovely Mrs. Symo (Lynn) and my 17 year old daughter Whitney live. If you follow semiconductor manufacturing and given the locations, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out whose fabrication facilities I've been helping to build for the last 21 years as Site Manager of Materials and Contracts (technically, I am not allowed to say the company name... go figure). In the last 5 years, I've lived in 7 different apartments (even though spending 10/01 through 11/02 on a development fab, at home in Hillsboro). So it's also easy to see why my avatar sports that fine white straight jacket. But the doctors and nurses here at the home are very nice and sometimes even take us on field trips

It's tough being away from home (family), but luckily Lynn works for the same school district that Whitney is a student in, so they get the same time off and can come to me for extended stays, as opposed to me flying home for a weekend. I just (as of the 1st of October) returned to Chandler, AZ, so Lynn and Whitney will be spending Christmas in Arizona (not a bad place in the "dead" of winter... 65-70 degrees). Now that's the kind of weather I like for making snow angels Also, my 17 year old would probably just as soon Dad wasn't "hanging" around the house when her "boy friend" stops by anyway and Lynn tells me that the direct deposit of my pay check helps soften the blow of my absence

Computer(s):
    Hmm. let's go this way... three Compaq desktops, one HP desktop, and two HP laptops... and a partridge in a pear tree. It's not that I'm stuck on HP/Compaq, but hey... Costco has the best prices and that's what they sell. All using various flavors of Windows, but I've been planning an installation of Linux on one of the desktops, just to play with for educational purposes. I've also been toying with building one of my own from scratch. Just need to find the time and more importantly, the courage.

PowWeb Website(s):
    Well, my main website is strictly a family website, so I usually don't give the address out, as it would be of little to no interest to anyone outside the family. I have a second account www.bobsymington.com, which currently has the default Under Construction index.htm file that PowWeb gives you. With that site, I have been experimenting with various php packages (galleries, message boards, mail systems, etc.). Someday, I'm really going to put up a "real" site (other than my family site), but for now it is solely for fun, hobby, learning and amusement.

What first brought you to PowWeb?
    Let's see. Actually, I believe it was a spam (sorry... agreed to advertisement mailing) from eFax. I had one of their free fax accounts and as such, part of the agreement was that they could send me advertisements. I'm OK with that by the way. I was getting a service I wanted and viewed the ads as my "payment" for those services. Well anyway, one day I got an advertisement that included Go To My PC, PowWeb, and some others (as my memory serves). Well, I already had a free web site that I had been playing with and decided that I wanted a "real" web site, and here was this company offering me 100 megs of storage with 12 gigs of bandwidth per month and 50, yes, that's right, 50 email accounts for only $7.77 per month (paid annually). See http://web.archive.org/web/200110171...ww.powweb.com/ if you don't believe what a deal I was getting! Well, how the heck could I turn that down. So basically it was just by chance that I came across PowWeb. Given the changes over the last 4 years, I certainly landed in the right place, at the right time, at the right host

How long have you been a customer?
    I joined PowWeb in November 2001 and lurked on the Forums until joining the Forums in December of 2001.

What advice would you give a new PowWeb customer?
    Patience. I was not born versed in contract law, I had to learn it, by doing it. I was also not born a web master, which is still the case. One cannot just buy hosting space and say they are versed in web mastery. I've seen postings in the forum like, "Well, I've bought my hosting account... now what do I do?". Case in point. I have a friend that bought an account, but then found out that you have to have at least a fleeting understanding of html, FTP, server concepts, .htaccess, etc. All of this just simply overwhelmed the guy. If you want your craft to be web design and/or hosting, you have to study your craft.

Second, ask questions in the forums. I would venture to say there is no other host on the planet with as many skilled, friendly and helpful people as reside in the PowWeb forums. Just be sure to give all the information that you think may be of help to those trying to solve your issue. That's what got me into the forums. My first install of Ikonboard did not go so well, but there was Radio Rob to the rescue. Or like the amount of time HalfaBee spent with me getting a Cron issue worked out.

Third, yes you may, or may not run into what seems to be an "unfixable" problem that just ticks you off. Remember, the forums are made up of the following:

The Users, the folks just like you and me, that pay the freight for their web space (whose forum identities are in RED). The Moderators, (the folks whose forum identities are in BLUE) are paying for their space and then are given the "opportunity" to moderate sections of the forum. They all do a bang up job and should be commended. The PowWeb staff (the folks whose forum identities are in GREEN). Many have come by way of being users, like Tbonekkt who is also the "owner" of this area of the forum. The forums however are not an "official" support vehicle. The Forums are not the place to bring billing questions, turn my site on questions, cancel my site questions, etc., as we are users... just like you and can't really help with the "nuts and bolts" of your account.

How much time, on average, do you spend at the PowWeb Forums per day?
    I usually hit the forums at least one hour (during lunch) at my desk at work. I usually check them nightly and always on the weekends. My length of stay is determined by the responses I'm able to provide, the amount of threads that have been renewed or created during my absence, and just how much work I have to finish before tomorrow.

When did you create your first web site?
    Umm... too many brain cells have given up the ghost to really remember back that far It was around the time the then popular editors were Homesite and FrontPage Express.

Continued..

What advice would you give a new web designer?
    Theft. Sorry... forget that. What do you want your site to do? Go find other sites that have the "look and feel" of what you want to accomplish and then as they used to say in English class, put it in your own words (in this case, make it your own design). Don't go steal the code underlying the page you want your site to be like. I remember right after I got here, there was another hosting company who shall remain nameless that apparently liked the "look and feel" of PowWeb so much they just took the code. Some of the links even linked back to PowWeb. Now that's not what I'm talking about.

Practice, practice, practice. Build "make believe" web sites if necessary for practice. Don't rely on the bells and whistles of a WYSIWYG program. Understand the underlying code. Why does something look like it does in a browser, not how "techie" can I make this site look.

Favorite movie, television program, book?
    Wow, tough question. jj and I have been around long enough to see a lot of them

Favorite Movie: Toby Tyler Joins the Circus in my youth, followed on by Top Gun. I watch It's a Wonderful Life every year and still cry at the end (I tell my wife that I just have something in my eye... but she knows better!)

Favorite TV Program: Jim Cramer's Mad Money (CNBC), and anything with Rachel Ray (Food Network) although I'm backing off from Rachel since she has now become engaged

Favorite Book: The Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll (you want a great mystery with a tenacious detective?), Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy and Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (hey, I was sixteen once too) I don't read a lot. When I do read, it has to be fast reads, so I mostly read magazines (PC Magazine, Engineering News Record, Linux Journal, PC World, etc.). I do get the Sunday paper and have coffee and a nice morning on the patio with the paper.

What are your other hobbies?
    I really don't have any other hobbies other than "goofing" with computers and my non-web sites. I do like to "dabble" in the kitchen doing a bit of cooking. I'm afraid that at my age (53 this month), I spend most of my free time trying to better my position in life to make sure that my wife and daughter are taken care of when I do end up shuffling off this mortal coil. Boy! That was a downer wasn't it

How do you see the web changing in the next five years?
    SPAM is non-existant. All homes come equipped with T3 lines. INTC is at $82. AMD is at $90. Identity theft is non-existent. Umm... oh, you mean for real... I do see increased usage of the web for group "real time" interaction/meetings (cheaper than a plane ticket... if there are any airlines left in 5 years). I see more VOIP. I see whoever has the fattest pipe becoming the dominant player in communications (be it video, voice, data, etc.).

What is your favorite quote or saying?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really do anything, but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumble down the stairs.

I want to thank tbonekkt (Tom) for asking me to be a "victim". Tom was/is a user just like all of us, who is now part of the staff. As you may, or may not know, Tom is a Texas Tech grad (certainly can't tell by his avatar, huh), and I'm a Nebraska grad and we've had an ongoing "debate" as to the worthiness of our respective football teams. All I know is that at the "Harvard of the Plains" (Nebraska) we at least celebrate education... yeah, that's right... the big red N on our helmets stands for KNOWLEDGE! Depending on when/if this gets posted, and if you're interested in college football, TBS, 3:00 CDT, Saturday, 8 October 2005. Texas Tech at Nebraska... Go Big Red!

I want to also thank the academy... whoops... wrong show... I also want to thank PowWeb for being PowWeb. I have had other "paid" hosts and by far I've had the best time with PowWeb. I have learned so much from so many in the forums that I'll never be able to repay. I'm starting to tear up now, so I'll end it with... Thanks PowWeb, thanks to all the people in the forums, thanks Tom, and in the immortal words of Jimmy Duranty, "Thanks Mrs. Calabash, where ever you are".

Oh by the way, the American Red Cross could really use your help to help others. Send a couple of bucks their way if you can. THX

Alright...another great addition to the spotlight.

Some interesting stuff...especially for the short amount of time you have out of that nice white jacket of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BerksWebGuy
    Alright...another great addition to the spotlight.

Some interesting stuff...especially for the short amount of time you have out of that nice white jacket of yours.
    THX BWG... I was hesitant at first since I only host a family site. Tbone asked and seeing as I still owe him a beer at the Lubbock airport, I agreed. My story is so bland that I actuallly pm'ed Tom telling him that I'm not probaly that interesting. But what-ta-hay

THX for looking, THX from my Whitney's boy friend

"Doc, can you grab a few of the yellow pills?" The orange ones are much better, but you have to "take" what you can get :-)

symo

I didn't know you were that old.. it's not insanity it's senility

Cheers Symo *pours coffee *hands Sunday paper
    Croc Hunter MSC :

on hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by symo
    I would venture to say there is no other host on the planet with as many skilled, friendly and helpful people as reside in the PowWeb forums.
    Agreed!

Nice work symo.

Too bad you wouldn't post any links to your personal site. I like looking at photos. I would like to see you with your jacket off! Cue the music!

You are not that old. My husband turned 54 in July and is only 5 years younger than my mother! I turned 37 last month and my son will be 8 on the 20th. They are all just numbers. You are as old as you act... which means I am older than my husband. He never acts his age. I am sure than you don't, either.

Glad to see you were the next victim of Tom's evil plot to expose PowWeb customers. I do like men in jackets.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

There's always a story behind the avatar... Good read, btw. I like these things.
    [Scooter McDue | TablesandChairs4] - http://kyle.barr.name

Quote Originally Posted by symo
    I want to thank tbonekkt (Tom) for asking me to be a "victim". Tom was/is a user just like all of us, who is now part of the staff. As you may, or may not know, Tom is a Texas Tech grad (certainly can't tell by his avatar, huh), and I'm a Nebraska grad and we've had an ongoing "debate" as to the worthiness of our respective football teams. All I know is that at the "Harvard of the Plains" (Nebraska) we at least celebrate education... yeah, that's right... the big red N on our helmets stands for KNOWLEDGE! Depending on when/if this gets posted, and if you're interested in college football, TBS, 3:00 CDT, Saturday, 8 October 2005. Texas Tech at Nebraska... Go Big Red!
    Would you like to rephrase this response?

What was the final score again? Oh let me think.. Tech 34, Nebraska 31. What a game..

I bet N fans are glad they don't play Tech for the next two years..

Sure, I'll give it a shot

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/fr...&day=10/8/2005

"After squandering an early 21-point cushion, Texas Tech (5-0, 2-0 Big 12 South) needed the duo of Hodges and Filani to come to the rescue.

With the Red Raiders trailing, 31-27, Hodges engineered an 11-play, 67-yard game-winning drive over the final five minutes. The senior completed seven passes for a total of 71 yards on the drive and hooked up with Filani four times.

Hodges was intercepted at the Nebraska 5 by lineman Kevin Smith with just 42 seconds remaining, but Smith fumbled during the return and Texas Tech eventually recovered at the 18.

"He's excitable," Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said of Smith. "He made a big play, he's trying to do his best. They're kids, they're excited. What can you say?"

Four plays later, on 4th-and-2 from the 10, Hodges dropped back and rolled to his left before finding Filani on a crossing route in the end zone."

He's excitable????????????

I've said it before and I'll say it again... "Hey big guy, you're a lineman. Good catch, now fall down on the ground!!!!!!!!! We'll leave that running with the football thing to the I-Backs."

Good game Tom. Yeah, we'll see you in a couple of years

symo

Did you really think I wouldn't say something? It was a great game; nothing like last year's 70-10 slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by BerksWebGuy
    ...especially for the short amount of time you have out of that nice white jacket of yours.
    I don't think he's out of the jacket yet , but I've always wanted to know how he got into it. Good reading!
    John

It is good to know more about the man in the jacket.

Seriously, this forum would never have been as much fun if you had not been involved. You've always been there at times when others needed help, and have always done so in a way that has never made the newest newbie feel bad about asking for help.

Thanks Symo, for being you and for being a part of this community forum.
    If silence is golden, then I must be worth million$

(jj)
    Jack
    (jj)'s Playground

ThisildoRealm
    Happy Birthday Symo!

Happy birthday!

We just celebrated my son's birthday, too! Did they let you out of the jacket to eat your cake or did they feed it to you? I know that crazy people aren't allowed to have regular eating utensils, because they may hurt someone else or themselves. Even a paper hat could be dangerous.

Maybe they gave you more of those little pills you like.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Thank you all (that would be "all y'all" in tbone speak ) for the B-day wishes.

Amazing what trivial threads some folks will trouble themselves to SPAM. No voip for this thread I guess Here's wishing Lee well... hey SPAMMERS have a life too (albeit a life that is lower than a Texas A&M 1st year ROTC RAT cadet*) THX Tom for dispositioning that post.

symo

*a RAT is a Recruit At Training. The only thing lower than a RAT is 20,000 pounds of White Whale poo, 20,000 leagues under the sea.

um lol symo

good job symo, you can really save the day somedays (weeks too!).
    Andrew

Hey Symo,

I've been wondering, what did you and your friends in the ward do for Halloween? Did you dress up as sane people and go trick-or-treating for those blue and red pills?

If silence is golden, then I must be worth million$

(jj)
    Jack
    (jj)'s Playground

Quote Originally Posted by (jj)
    Hey Symo,

I've been wondering, what did you and your friends in the ward do for Halloween? Did you dress up as sane people and go trick-or-treating for those blue and red pills?

Do you wear your costume under or over your jacket?!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

I just read this thread - this section of the forum seems rather inactive...

I see that Symo and I share an employer...

Good interview.
    Steve