Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PowWeb Webmail to be Discontinued (Merged Threads)

gburton

PowWeb Webmail to be Discontinued (Merged Threads)

I just got the message that WebMail will be discontinued. What will happen to my existing emails? What do I need to do?

gburton

Our own Webmail application is simply going away. Your emails will still be there, and our SquirrelMail install will still be available. You can still use POP or IMAP as well.

I guess Powweb is going to continue to provide their install of Squirrelmail, and perhaps they'll install another interface too, but you're existing emails wont be deleted or anything, just another way will have to be found to access them.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

gburton
    Thank you for the quick reply.

So does that mean I can just click on Squirrel Mail and use my existing username and password to get to all my email now?

gburton

Quote Originally Posted by gburton
    So does that mean I can just click on Squirrel Mail and use my existing username and password to get to all my email now?
    That's exactly right.

Everywhere! Currently Mallorca, Balearic Islands
    Ooh! I've never tried that! I must go and have a go... back soon...
    Hang on! I've just had a thought (yes, even old bags like me get one occasionally you know)... If there is no webmail, will we have to go to http:// nowebmail . yourdomain . com to reach where it isn't any more...?

Ha! What a funky interface... didn't think much of the 259 emails that have accumulated there since lunchtime, though - mainly those wretched emails that are being sent out from me to myself and other fictitious characters with a virus in them... I think I will just close the door quietly behind me and let my automatic mail cleaning system get on with it...
    The pen is mightier than the sword. Except when the other guy has the sword
    LinnetWoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by linnetwoods
    ... didn't think much of the 259 emails that have accumulated there since lunchtime, though - mainly those wretched emails that are being sent out from me to myself and other fictitious characters with a virus in them... I think I will just close the door quietly behind me and let my automatic mail cleaning system get on with it...
    Spoofed emails from yourself is something handled very well by listing an SPF record for your domain and turning on SPF checking for incoming email.

Of course, this does not allow well for you to send mail from your domain through servers other than the PowWeb email servers.
    Tom

Sorry, tmc, my geek-speak is a little patchy... Thanks for the suggestion but could I get that in English at all?
    What is an SPF record and where does one list it? Will I still be able to use Outlook to suck all my mails into my computer and have them processed through my anti-virus scanner? Is Squirrel mail supposed to look as stripped-down and amateur as it did when I went into it and be as unfriendly to use, or was it just having a funny half hour.
    These vital questions and 749 others are whirling round the cavity that used to house my brain (or maybe it is just a rumour that it was ever there...)

If it is always that way, it sucks, as they say just across the Pond...
    LinnetWoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by gburton
    Thank you for the quick reply.

gburton
    BTW - Thanks for providing SquirrelMail, Powweb. It was a big improvement.

Registered

Question How do I migrate my address book from PW Webmail to Squirrel Mail?

How do I migrate my address book from PW Webmail to Squirrel Mail?

I tried searching for instructions on how to do this but didn't find anything. Based on the recent announcement made when I tried to log into my PW Webmail, I'd better figure out how to do this ASAP!

I was able to use the Squirrel Mail link & log in using my usual username & password, but do I need to do anything else special to continue using Squirrel Mail?

Thanks for your help,
    Cara

"Very shortly, PowWeb will discontinue it's PowWeb Webmail. Squirrel Mail will still continued to be offered, as well as the ability to migrate your address book. An announcement will be made when support is discontinued."

I couldn't find any means of migrating my address list either...
    LinnetWoods.com

Sorry, tmc, my geek-speak is a little patchy... Thanks for the suggestion but could I get that in English at all?
    What is an SPF record and where does one list it? Will I still be able to use Outlook to suck all my mails into my computer and have them processed through my anti-virus scanner?
    If it is always that way, it sucks, as they say just across the Pond...
    In answer to a bit of your confusion: SPF records are a way of combatting spam, and can be set up in the DNS settings (where it says if you break it, don't expect Powweb to help )
    It won't affect Outlook or how you get e-mails, it is a way of other systems to check that you really sent them e-mails. If you use many different computers with different ISP's and use their SMTP servers (mail server) to send your e-mails (instead of Powweb's) then an SPF record may not be easy for you to implement as every SMTP server you use will need to be listed.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

What is an SPF record and where does one list it? Will I still be able to use Outlook to suck all my mails into my computer and have them processed through my anti-virus scanner?
    See the announcement Mail Servers Now Support SPF.

There used to be a sticky thread - that has been unstuck - about setting this up. It originated about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, SPF is not one of the three character search terms allowed for the forums. It stands for Sender Policy Framework. I found some references, but not the one I was looking for. You might read through them, however, to get an idea on how to set it up.

An SPF record is set up in OPS as part of your DNS record. We have been able to do that for about a year and a half. Just recently (as per the announcement above) PowWeb I provided support for checking incoming mail using SPF. If the mail says it comes from you, PowWeb checks your SPF record to see if it is coming from an allowed source. These spams almost certainly will not come from an allowed source.

I get my email with Outlook and the only difference is that the spam from me does not arrive!
    Tom

Here is a simple explanation.

Registered
    I've tried logging in to Squirrel Mail with my usual user name and password, but it won't accept it. Is there something extra I need to do to get it to work?

Mon

Thank you, guys, for those excellent replies. Sorry I didn't get back sooner to see them - now that the New Posts listings have changed so dramatically, I can't seem to keep up with threads the way I used to - resistance to change, you see, a mark of old age... You can please some of the people all of the time and you can please all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time... I'm just an old reactionary...
    LinnetWoods.com

Anybody from PowWeb staff or a Moderator or one of the techie gurus have an answer to this thorny question at all? Pretty please...
    LinnetWoods.com

Registered
    I have exactly the same problem and there are no awsers on any faq or forum on this one - Over to you powweb.

Well, we have our answer now... mjp has just announced that webmail may be closing as early as next Wednesday and that our address books that are stored in webmail will be automatically migrated for us.
    LinnetWoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by apt42
    I've tried logging in to Squirrel Mail with my usual user name and password, but it won't accept it. Is there something extra I need to do to get it to work?
    Mon
    Nothing extra needed. Try creating a new user assoicated with that e-mail address to see if that user can get into SqM.

Registered

thanks!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I haven't had a chance to look for the offical PW announcement but I'm glad to know I have very little to do for my addresses to migrate automatically.

marriekeane

Question Squirrel Mail

Hello to all,
    This is Marrie from Dublin, I'm just posting a question that you may be able to help me with, I ve been a bit out of touch with the Squirrel Mail and now that webmail is soon to be defunct I've been trying to log into the Squirrel account. Ive tried the various usernames and passwords that I have with powweb but I can't seem to log on. Would anyone know how I can create usernames and passwords to get in or am I just going the wrong way about this altogether?

Cheers,
    Marrie.

You should be able to use the same usernames and passwords to use either PW Webmail or our Squirrelmail. Double-check passwords, etc.

jocr
    Tom,

Could you please give us the URL to log into SquirrelMail?

James Pressler

Quote Originally Posted by jocr
    Could you please give us the URL to log into SquirrelMail?
    webmail.yourdomain.com, then click the squirrel. Or webmail.yourdomain.com/squirrelmail/src/login.php

Marrie

Biggest problem my users have is remembering that USERNAME (the one that has to be unique to each Powweb email account) is not the same as EMAILNAME (the one in the email address).

So for BillS@Company.Com
    I create a username BillsCoComm, something odd enough that it is unlikely to be duplicated in all PW.

The USERNAME is what you need to log in.

jocr
    Thank you snowmaker. I did not find a squirrel but the other URL worked.

James Pressler

You bet, James.

haqq

Difference between Squirrel Mail vs. Webmail

I wanted to know the major difference between Webmail and Squirrel Mail.

Will switching to Squirrel mail affect any email service? Is POWWEB thing of ridding email service???

Squirrel Mail - changing password

I have 50+ mail users, and every changing with new users added and such.

What I normally do is setup a new account, give the person their username & temporary password - then it is up to them to reset their password to what they like.

I was thinking that there was a problem with Squirel mail where a user can not change their password, but I guess this problem is fixed in Squirel mail - so where can a user change their password in squirrel mail so I (Administrator) does not have to do everything for them.

If a user still can not change their own password, I suggest that the PW mail stay around - or at least a PW mail password change utility for users to be able to change their password on their own without having to contact the administrator each time.

Thanks.

Our developers are working on allowing password changes through our SquirrelMail implementation.

And I'm guessing this will be ready before PowWeb removes the only program that currently works for this?

Since I'm not in on this project, I can't say. But I would assume so.

Seems like this is unlikely questions day...
    I wanted to know the major difference between Webmail and Squirrel Mail.
    The major difference at this juncture is that Webmail will not be available as of the day after tomorrow and Squirrelmail will, so any discussion on the differences between them would be purely academic... if that was what you had in mind, this thread should have been posted in Chit Chat
    Will switching to Squirrel mail affect any email service?
    What are you trying to find out, exactly?
    Is POWWEB thing of ridding email service???
    Do you speak English?! I think you are asking whether PowWeb is thinking of getting rid of the email facility altogether and if so, the answer from me is that I doubt it very much...
    LinnetWoods.com

PowWeb: This is WAY TOO LITTLE notice for us to educate all our users who we have helped understand Webmail.

PLEASE tell us we can have more time. 30 Days seems like a practical minimum for sites with 100's of users.

This is not a hobby....

Regards, Terry King
    terry@terryking.us
    Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont