Thread: Builder

Builder

Builder
    Member Spotlight #8

Name: Kevin Mahoney
    Location: Belleville, Illinois (NOT near Chicago -- 15 miles from St. Louis, MO)
    Computer(s): I'm not really a hardware geek. If it works and does what I need it to I keep going with it. So don't laugh:
    Dell Latitude notebook, PIII, 8OOMhz, 40gig hard drive, CD burner, WinXP.
    1995-era Toshiba notebook with a screamin' 486dx 75Mhz processor, 500 MB hard drive, Win95. It actually still works and I test things on it every now and then.

PowWeb Website(s)
    troop53.net
    I own a couple of other domain names to which, some year, I may actually attach a site.

What first brought you to PowWeb?
    The Boy Scout troop I am the Scoutmaster of started a website in 1997. I got "volunteered" to be in charge. After several years we outgrew our whopping 1 megabyte of allotted space on a local ISP's server. (If you think it's hard to stay within Powweb's limits try fitting an 80 page site with photographs, graphics, etc. into 1 meg.) We didn't like the ads and/or popups on the Geocities/Tripod-type hosting services, so we decided to get a domain name and paid hosting. Since I was now the "webmaster" (everybody say "Oooh" and act like you're impressed) I got volunteered again. I did a bit of research, and stumbled across a post by someone on the forum at nonags.com saying how happy they were with Powweb. "What's a Powweb?" I said to myself. Well, I found out that Powweb was a hosting company offering 100Mb (I believe) of space, plus a lot other goodies that I had never played with, for a very affordable price. I recommended that we (the troop) sign up and the rest, as they say, is history.

How long have you been a customer?
    Since late August 2002.

How much time, on average, do you spend at the PowWeb Forums per day?
    Too much! Probably an hour in the morning and another hour or so in the evening. Sometimes it'll be a couple of days between visits. Depends on my "real" job. During and right after the holidays can be somewhat slow in remodeling so I've been hanging around a bit more recently.

When did you create your first web site?
    The site mentioned above was the first, so 1997.

What advice would you give a first time web designer?
    However you create your site, be it WYSIWYG HTML, CMS, blog, text editor, whatever, get at least a working knowledge of what runs your site. Not that you could write everything from scratch, but at least when something goes wrong -- and it will -- you'll know where to look.

What are your other hobbies?
    Hobbies probably isn't the right word. Maybe "pursuits"?

Most are outdoor oriented: camping, backpacking, canoeing, kayaking (touring kayak, not white-water), snow skiing, rock climbing to name several. I recently picked up target shooting (rifle and shotgun) again after about 12 years off; recreational, not competitive except to gig someone for missing. And yes, I have all the toys to go along with these so you can see where a good chunk of disposable income gets ... disposed. God forbid I should ever take up golf.

How do you see the web changing in the next five years?
    Hmm. Crystal ball time. Don't anybody bet on this and blame me! I read an article in my local paper about the Las Vegas consumer electronics show and there is a big push toward integrating the web and networking into all sorts of products other than the traditional (can you even use that word in this context?) box-on-a-desk. So I think you'll see much more emphasis on web "content" that's accessible through a wide variety of "appliances" rather than just through web sites. "Content" may mean audio, television shows, full length movies, etc., all of it on demand of the consumer rather than on the producer's/provider's strict schedule. "Appliances" could mean anything from a telephone to a DVD player to a toaster -- OK, maybe not a toaster. But many home appliances will be part of future home networks and accessible remotely through the web. "Honey, do you remember the password for the coffee maker?"

Favorite books, television shows or movies?
    I have pretty eclectic tastes in books. I like the earlier Tom Clancy books, Dan Brown (DaVince Code, Deception Point), and a couple other authors of that ilk. I've always enjoyed history and read 1776 by David McCullough last summer -- great book. A couple of months ago a friend loaned a Louis Lamour western to me and I found myself, somewhat surprisingly, completely engrossed. Go figure.

Recently, the television show I can't miss has been "Lost" although I am also a big fan of The Simpsons.

In movies I lean toward comedies. I suppose if I could only see 2 movies the rest of my life I would choose Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Caddyshack. Highbrow stuff, right? But I never get tired of seeing either one.

What advice would you give a new PowWeb customer?
    It's been said before, but ... wait for it ... can you stand the suspense? ... Join this forum. Or at least lurk a lot. I am still amazed by the phenomenal amount of knowledge here; knowledge some people pay big bucks for, but available here for free. And you get to hang around cool people like me. *cough* *hack* Well, OK, maybe not me. But there are a lot of great folks here, mostly much smarter and definitely way cooler than me, who generously give of their time, knowledge, and expertise by offering advice, solving problems, answering questions, leading newbies by the hand through their first web page, writing scripts, fixing computer problems, and much, much more.

What is your favorite quote or saying?
    Does my sig count?
    Editor's Note: Without a doubt.

Thanks Builder!

Alright...another great addition to the spotlight.

Its great to hear your a scoutmaster (I'm an eagle scout...years ago), but so sorry about your hardware. I'm sure you'll cave-in eventually for something over 1 GHz

I am not surprised to learn of your hobbies being outdoor recreation since you are a Scoutmaster. Why is your alias Builder on this forum?
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

A very nice bio. You are indeed helpful Builder. I am one of those lurkers you alluded to and man have I learned alot around here!
    Never wear anything that will panic the cat... My Place

You have rock climbing toys too.. cool. I used to abseil up and down buildings for work. Down is always more fun I've seen you help many here. Where is your Avatar?
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    @ Berks: Alright! Another Eagle Scout around here! I knew there was a reason you are so helpful. I am one also but probably from many more years ago than you.
    Isn't the 1Ghz barrier kind of like the sound barrier? I heard somewhere that the human body just wasn't designed to go that fast.

@ Yvette: I am "Builder" because my "real job" is remodeling and restoring houses. Self-employment is a wonderful thing -- well, most of the time.

@ Croc: Heh, somewhat oddly, while not being afraid of heights, I have a healthy mistrust of ladders. I have ridden a couple to the ground, had one walk over a small step while I was near the top and go out from underneath me, and a couple other minor mishaps. Fortunately the worst injuries were small cuts and bruises. I have been known to hang off the side of a building in my climbing gear just to not be on a ladder. A rope has never failed me.
    As far as avatars go, I've never found one to suit me. Really haven't searched that hard though.

@ everyone: Thanks for the kind words! And for all the help I've received here. I have learned more here than I could ever give back.

Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

I am "Builder" because my "real job" is remodeling and restoring houses.
    Ooohhhh!!!! I LOVE that! If I could, I would do that instead of web design. I may be moving this year and that will give me a fresh new project. I will certainly miss the ten years of improvements in our current home, especially the kitchen remodeling and the larger whirlpool tub.

Do you have a wife and/or children? You sound like quite a catch!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by YvetteKuhns
    Do you have a wife and/or children? You sound like quite a catch!
    When did this become Dating Central? First you expose your bra, now this?

I wasn't asking for a date. I am married. I was simply curious. Besides, is it a crime to compliment someone?

(Don't be jealous, Tom. I love you, too. Cowboys are very sexy.)
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Nope, my ring finger is free of encumbrances, although I currently have about 25 "children" -- the boys in my troop.

But speaking of home repairs/remodeling, dating and marriage, there was a home repair business in my area at one time named "Rent-a-Husband". One of the best company names I've seen. You can just hear all the husband/wife conversations that occurred prior to a call to them.

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

I made a website for hireahusband.org in exchange for work. In fact, that work is posted in his photos (I took) and testimonials. He didn't have money, so he offered to do work to pay for a website. I asked him to cut down trees. My husband used his tractor to move the debris.

I kinda figured you were available. You have too much disposable income to be married.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

congrats. Welcome to the exclusive club.

Thanks satis. Heh, I look at the others in this "exclusive club" and keep thinking, "I am not worthy!"

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"