Thread: rtoohil

rtoohil

rtoohil
    Member Spotlight #11

Name: Ryan Toohil
    Computer(s): 3GHz P4 512MB RAM at work, 3GHz P4 1GB RAM at home, old 800MHz laptop currently serving solely as an iTunes receiver for my stereo (soon to have a MacBook Pro, I hope)

How long have you been with Endurance?
    Just over a year at this point.

How much time, on average, do you spend at the PowWeb Forums per day?
    At work? On a really busy day, I probably check in once or twice for a few minutes in the general and outages forum. Maybe an hour or so on a less busy day. I probably then spend another hour or so (in general) when I'm at home, purely because I have no life.

Are you a web designer or programmer? If yes, When did you create your first web site?
    More of a programmer, less of a designer. Did my first site in 1996, taking advantage of my free 2.5MB of webspace on Virginia Tech's servers.

What advice would you give a first time web hosting client?
    Know what your goals and needs are.
    • If you want to build a simple HTML site for your family, just pick the host you feel most comfortable with and fits in your budget.
    • If you want to build the next Digg.com, realize you're going to need dedicated Linux hosting.
    • If you're hosting for your company, figure out what's most important. Do you need Exchange for mail? That influences your decision. Is your website mission critical to your business? Maybe you need dedicated or VPS hosting. Do your developers work in .NET?
    • Do you need hosting? Would MSN Spaces or Wordpress.com be enough for what you hope to do?
    It's simply a matter of figuring out what your needs are now, and what you hope they'll be in the future, and finding a host who can grow with you.

How do you see the web changing in the next five years?
    The sheer volume of simple, easy to use apps like Wordpress et. al are rapidly lowering the barriers to entry into getting on the web and being able to create something meaningful (or, in many cases, meaningless). Because of this rapidly increasing volume, aggregator/social news/attention sites are going to grow in importance and usefulness. RSS will probably continue to grow in value and usage, but in a much more behind the scenes format (think MyYahoo! or Google IG).

What are your other hobbies?
    I play softball and basketball and try to get out and go running whenever possible. Otherwise, I'm pretty much a consumer of media. I've got Netflix, a TiVo, a Comcast HD DVR, a bunch of video game systems, a couple of books going at all times, and an iPod that goes with me at all times. Sadly, I spend a ton of time on the web, even though I do it all day at work - a bunch of time reading tech sites and a couple of message boards dedicated to the Red Sox or Celtics.

Favorite books, television shows or movies?
    Right now, I'm big into TV. I'm proclaiming it the most misunderstood of all medias. Huge fan of the Joss Whedon shows (Buffy, Angel, Firefly) and shows that fit that mold of serialized drama - Veronica Mars, Lost, The Wire, Deadwood, and the new show Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Then there's the comedies: Scrubs, The Office, the late Arrested Development, The Simpsons, and the returning Futurama.

What is your favorite quote or saying?
    I honestly don't think I have one. I can find a way to relate almost any situation back to some quote from The Simpsons.

Welcome to the club Ryan...another great addition (its been awhile).

I was waiting for you to throw in the Red Sox somewhere

PowWeb Staff
    I love me some Sox.

Anyone who likes TiVo and Firefly is ok by me.
    Steve

PowWeb Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    Anyone who likes TiVo and Firefly is ok by me.
    Back in the day (i.e prob about 2 years now), before then TiVo management turned their back on HD and Comcast, I even lurked/posted a bit on TivoCommunity Been a part of a few beta tests and everything.

Sadly, they took way too long to get an HD DVR, and now I'm used to the crappy, but functional UI of the Comcast DVR and won't even consider going through the hassle of getting a Series 3.

But yeah, the TiVo was my second life altering purchase (my iPod being the first).

Well, take heart. Comcast made a deal with TiVo some time ago and supposedly will offer the TiVo software as an option on Comcast PVR boxes sometime in 2007.

I'm a DirecTV TiVo user and feel doubly-abandoned, since both TiVo and DirecTV have turned their backs on us. But I still like TiVo, have been to the three TC-Cons in Vegas, (and in fact have an appointment to visit them in Alvisio when I'm the neighborhood next week.)
    Steve

SEO For Hire!
    Quote Originally Posted by rtoohil View Post
    I love me some Sox.
    Go Tigers!

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Welcome to the list of Tom's "victims"!

Go Cards! (of course they kind of backed into the playoffs but, oh well)

Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Ryan, welcome to the list of victims. What character on Futurama are you most like? Yes, people can say I am like Leela, but I have four eyes, not just one. You don't seem like Bender, or do you?
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions