View Poll Results: What do you think about OPS (The PowWeb Control Panel)?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love It

1 4.00%
  • Like It

12 48.00%
  • Dislike It

7 28.00%
  • Hate It

5 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PowWeb Control Panel

PowWeb Control Panel

Let's get a chat going about the PowWeb Control Panel. Think there should be a link to something somewhere? Should something be moved? Chat about whatever you want related to the control panel. It never hurts to brainstorm.

Grandpa used to say, "If you hit youself in the head with two hammers long enough, one hammer feels pretty good."

While I voted that I like it, it's really more of a matter that I've become used to it and as such, would hate to see it changed too much.

symo

Sometimes it can be frustrating still to find the only way back is the back button (try goting to OPS and create a ticket. Once it's made try getting back!

Apart from tweaks, it should be left as is. It sets Powweb apart from the Cpanel crowd.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

I am not crazy about the color scheme, but it is consistent with the company website. If you use something enough, it because familiar, but that doesn't mean that OPS is fine as it is. A new user can probably give better input on placement of links or contents.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Sometimes it can be frustrating still to find the only way back is the back button (try goting to OPS and create a ticket. Once it's made try getting back!

Apart from tweaks, it should be left as is. It sets Powweb apart from the Cpanel crowd.
    It does set apart PowWeb; however, there are definitely mixed reviews on whether it sets us apart in a good way or bad way. Both you and symo are long-time users of OPS and are comfortable with it. Your opinions are biased...as they should be. But for a good portion of PowWebers, there is a distate for our CP. I'm trying to figure out if it is because of the actual design/navigation itself or the fact that they just don't understand a lot of the terminology or functionality presented to them.

How odd. I was logged into OPS about an hour ago and now I cannot login with my current or my old password. I will clear my cache and cookies and try again.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Crap! It won't work now! Maybe I have to change my password again. Stupid thing.

The account settings e-mail for your username has been sent to 0.
    What is this message I see when I request a new password? This appears at http://www.powweb.com/utils/ResendAc...ser&UserName1=username&Domain1=&ResendEmail=Resend+Account+Information&f rom=form

I obviously removed my username.

More fun. I tried to login to my personal email account with RCN and got this message:

Connection refused (146)
    So, I won't be able to login to that email account. My day just keeps getting more interesting. That account is probably full anyway.

I guess I may need to contact tech support. No, they will tell me to check my email that I cannot check and I can't log into OPS to change my contact email address. Catch-22.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

"What is it?"...."Teeth." omatic's Avatar
    I voted "like it," but as others have mentioned, that's largely a product of having become familiar with it.

A suggestion for when changes are made: when possible, just add navigation aids and links, rather than pulling the whole beastie apart and rebuilding it from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuamc View Post
    Both you and symo are long-time users of OPS and are comfortable with it. Your opinions are biased...as they should be.
    I've also spent a lot of time with two hammers

symo

I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but I could not log back into OPS using Firefox, so I had to use IE6. This happened to one of my clients who couldn't log into her PowWeb hosted website admin panel. So, I don't know if the URL was the problem or what.

While using Firefox, I went to the powweb.com website and clicked the link to OPS. I typed my username and (new) password and the page seemed to refresh or reload itself. When I typed my old (incorrect) password, the incorrect login error appeared. I cleared my cache and cookies, but that didn't help. I used IE and was able to login.

So, I hope the login issue for the control panel can be fixed.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by symo View Post
    I've also spent a lot of time with two hammers
    For the most part I use nail guns now. And have shot myself a couple of times.

My major complaint with OPS, legacy and current, is the amount of clicks it takes to get anywhere. I don't know how you could change that and still keep the same functionality, though. Link colors are not very clear either (visited vs. non-visited), but I guess that is a matter of taste and familiarity. As omatic mentioned, it doesn't really need a complete overhaul, but a few tweaks might be nice.

Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered

Cgi Management

Hey, I have read the "Read Me first" thread. However, I noticed that there is no link in my OPS that will lead to Cgi management unless I explicitly insert it, that is opening the link from the "Read Me First" thread.

Is this how it should be? Or there is something wrong with my account? All powerpack page is not available to me from the OPS, unless of course, I enter the link manually.

Quote Originally Posted by theodor View Post
    Hey, I have read the "Read Me first" thread. However, I noticed that there is no link in my OPS that will lead to Cgi management unless I explicitly insert it, that is opening the link from the "Read Me First" thread.

Is this how it should be? Or there is something wrong with my account? All powerpack page is not available to me from the OPS, unless of course, I enter the link manually.
    Could a mod push this over to Josh's Poll about OPS? I agree that you can't get to powerpack without knowing the correct url.

THX

symo

Quote Originally Posted by symo View Post
    Could a mod push this over to Josh's Poll about OPS? I agree that you can't get to powerpack without knowing the correct url.

THX

symo
    Done- moved from PHP forum where the readme is.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Quote Originally Posted by theodor View Post

Not true...although the link isn't exactly obvious. Click on the Main tab and you'll see it in one of the main tables.

My major complaint with OPS, legacy and current, is the amount of clicks it takes to get anywhere.
    We discussed this before. Most of us will click to explore until we find something. With use comes familiarity, but most of my clients rarely use OPS. In fact, I don't use it as often as others do, because I don't use most Site Tools or Instant Installers.

One of my clients would not know to click HTTP, then Visitor Statistics to find webstats. The legacy people were used to using the domain.com/webstats and typing the login for those I password protected. Perhaps there should be a link named Logs that could include webstats, error logs, access logs and other related things. Why are error logs under Site Tools? This is confusing.

There should be a link named Backups where you can download your web server files and find your database backups for download. Even if the Backup link went to another place, at least people could find backups without searching to find them under another (unexpected) category.

The Overview is the first page and should have a site map to any topic to be found in the Control Panel. If you wanted to reset your password, backup a database or whatever, the site map could link to the correct place. That would be ideal for those who don't have a clue where to look. Right now, it is like choosing door #1, door #2 or door #3 and hope you get what you want. Well, it is for the newbies.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Oh, by the way, I just managed to log into and out of OPS using Firefox. I could try again later to see if I have problems again. I wonder if Firefox gets confused if you log in and out and back into OPS in the same day or hour. Hmm...
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Not true...although the link isn't exactly obvious. Click on the Main tab and you'll see it in one of the main tables.
    OK, right as rain

CGI Management equates to Powerpack. While it's nice to know, for me at least, it isn't an intuitive place to have looked for the powerpack

But, as long as I'm typing, the How to Use Your CGI-BIN link in the SSI & CGI section doesn't go to where the link is pointing (http://www.execpc.com/~keithp/bdlogcgi.htm), but rather ends up at http://home.core.com/web/start

Also, I think it is always good to indicate when a link will take you off site.

And lastly, I have never understood why the initial screen was the services tab as opposed to the main tab. That is probably a real good reason some people miss the Announcements.

symo

I have several different bookmarks that I use to login to OPS,

http://members.powweb.com/member/settings.bml, for HTTP
    http://members.powweb.com/webControl...ailcentral.bml, for Email
    http://members.powweb.com/webControl/FTP.bml, for FTP

I have more than a few more, this is just an example..
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

I don't think we should need to create so many bookmarks. Why can't there be a detailed site map on the overview page or linking from it. An expandable menu means links subcategories are hidden until main categories are clicked, so that is not as helpful unless you know what category to click.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

, so that is not as helpful unless you know what category to click.
    Agreed. I basically made it easier for myself by bookmarking certain pages. I guess I did this to save myself an extra click or two, but it is helpful to know which bookmark to use..
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

I made a few desktop shortcuts since they changed the URLs for email and the control panel. As I mentioned before, those of us who use different panels or this panel often may find things faster than those who are new to any hosting. The control panel can be overwhelming, especially when you don't know the terminology. I would like to see some type of site map for the control panel that would be seen on or from the Overview page.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

When I was using OPs constantly I had few problems navigating around even after the change from legacy. But now, after using other hosts custom control panels, OPs feels too disjointed.

Finding things like where the php.ini can be edited can be a pain if you don't have a direct link (bookmark) to the page.

As mentioned before, there are some places that your only recourse is to use the Back button on your browser. One of the email sections is such a place, the only way to return is to use the back button or just start over at the beginning.

Maybe using Ajax for a collapsible left side menu or a frame (yuck, can't believe I said that) to keep a constant menu on the left would help.
    If silence is golden, then I must be worth million$

(jj)
    Jack
    (jj)'s Playground

Beta tester
    Too often you have to navigate using the browser's back button. Links don't always take you where they should. Inconsistency. It feels like an alpha build...

I'm with the rest of the folks who 'liked it', largely because familiarity breeds comfort. If you (Joshua) want to poll new users, this section of the powweb forums (one of the least active) may not be the best place. I'd suggest sending an email to everyone who signed up in January to visit this thread or perhaps develop a survey to get a good answer to your question.

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    I really like Yvette's idea of a sitemap on the opening screen. It would solve several problems at once and yet not (I think) require rebuilding OPS from scratch.

Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

None of this matters unless ALL of OPS is behind https.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

I've put in a request for a few things (I can't say when they'll be done, but I'll def. follow-up). They are:

- Breadcrumb navigational links (For example: Main > HTTP > WebStats)
    - Make the "Main" tab the default tab
    - Update the outbound links that symo mentioned and make sure that it states they are external links

I really like Yvette's idea of a sitemap on the opening screen. It would solve several problems at once and yet not (I think) require rebuilding OPS from scratch.
    I was trying to think of the easiest solution for everyone. You would not need to rebuild OPS and you can use that nifty site map generator that JJ mentioned in another thread. Making all links available from the first page means the links are easier to find and it takes less clicks to find what you want.

collapsible left side menu or a frame (yuck, can't believe I said that) to keep a constant menu on the left would help.
    A collapsible menu means you need to find the correct category first to find the subcategory. Also, the users have to know how to use this menu. The plus and minus icon is confusing to many of MY customers.

And frames? I can't believe you said that, either, but that would be the quick and easy method to make the links available from each page. The control panel does not and will not be indexed in search engines, so frames actually make sense for this application.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

The "file manager" needs to be totally scrapped and re-done.

Though I do most of my changes thru FTP, there are occasions I would like to make some changes "on the fly" by using file manager. However, powwebs "file manager" is the worst thing I have ever tried to use in OPS. Simple operations are made overly complicated.

I don't use the File Manager, but I saw it and thought it was strange. I didn't mention it, but I was hoping someone who uses it more often would.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

It does set apart PowWeb; however, there are definitely mixed reviews on whether it sets us apart in a good way or bad way. Both you and symo are long-time users of OPS and are comfortable with it. Your opinions are biased...as they should be. But for a good portion of PowWebers, there is a distate for our CP. I'm trying to figure out if it is because of the actual design/navigation itself or the fact that they just don't understand a lot of the terminology or functionality presented to them.
    Frankly, the PowWeb control panel was a drawing card for me when I was looking for a new domain/email host last month. It is a much better basic design than any control panel I've seen. Makes me wonder what it is that people don't like about it, other than the few tweaks it could use to improve navigation and location of some links, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by YvetteKuhns View Post
    I don't think we should need to create so many bookmarks. Why can't there be a detailed site map on the overview page or linking from it. An expandable menu means links subcategories are hidden until main categories are clicked, so that is not as helpful unless you know what category to click.
    Agreed. Interestingly enough I quickly came to use the existing sitemap (after becoming a new PowWeb customer last month) for my only PowWeb bookmark. While it's minimal, it seems to be the only place that has the links I use regularly upon "startup" all on one page.

Let's get a chat going about the PowWeb Control Panel. Think there should be a link to something somewhere? Should something be moved? Chat about whatever you want related to the control panel. It never hurts to brainstorm.
    A couple of weeks ago I submitted feedback/suggestion about OPS mailbox management. The response I got from support was somewhat informative and useful, but I doubt my suggestion got passed on to anyone since the responder thought his answer addressed the issue completely, which it didn’t. (By the way, I also got the impression that clicking on the link to submit feedback is treated the same as submitting a support ticket. I think my suggestion was treated like a ticket, so what’s the point of submitting feedback if that’s the case – it appears to go nowhere.)

My point was that the Mail Central default mailbox display (Mail 4.0 interface) is not as useful a management tool as it should be. I learned that you can pick from 3 interfaces and that the other two, Mail 3.0 Simple and Mail 3.0 Advanced, are more useful. However, my original point was that the OPS Main / Disk Usage display when choosing to set mail quotas individually should be added to Mail Central. In other words, make the default Mail Central display something like the Mail 3.0 display (Simple or Advanced) with the added functionality of displaying MB disk usage per mailbox and allowing the setting of quotas individually. This would truly make Mail Central a one-stop mailbox management center!

I’m also curious why the two Mail 3.0 interfaces are better displays and more useful than the Mail 4.0 one is. It looks like the old problem of the “new improved” version of software removing what was useful. I want to also note that the current situation of having 3 interfaces available is a less than optimal solution. If you select one of the older ones and display it, then you are stuck with no tabs or links to move around in OPS (like others have mentioned in this thread – the old back button routine is needed). And you also better not click on the Mail Central link at the top (among the 3 links for the 3 interfaces) or you are put back to the default Mail 4.0 interface and have to go into Tool Settings to manually re-select one of the older choices again. Just give us one good interface that is a fully functional mail management center!

sendak, you are a very important person to this forum in regards to email, because you have much knowledge and experience elsewhere for comparison to the PowWeb email. You asked many questions even before becoming a customer (even when you couldn't post in the forum) and you continue to mention valid points. I hope that other people appreciate your participation and benefit from your informative posts!

I admit that I have simply settled for what is given to me. I don't get fancy with email, but that is because I personally haven't needed to do so. But I may need more in the future for myself or my clients, so I feel this issue is important to everyone who uses email. Thank you again for bringing this information to our attention.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design