Thread: Image Gallery Recommendation

Image Gallery Recommendation

I'm looking for a simple photo sharing gallery, nothing too fancy. Seems like all of them make thumbnails, which is one of my criteria. The other big ones are:

1 - ease of use for a technologically challenged person (my wife, who has a hard time dealing with zipped folders)

2 - A mechanism for easily uploading multiple files (basically, I'd like to dump an entire folder from the camera onto the website)

I've looked around a bit, and it's hard for me to tell how image galleries deal with these, so I'm hoping people with experience wouldnt mind sharing...THANKS!

I've always had good luck with Coppermine. Most of the people who use the gallery I created fall under category 1.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

Thanks Doc! I recall you mentioning coppermine in a thread recently...I'll dig deeper!

I think you can upload like 10 photos at a time or something like that. I haven't been there in a while so I'll check. I know it comes off clean if you remove it because I've had to re-install it because of a PICNIC error.

More later. Time to hit the road.
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around

-William D. Tammeus

I'm toying with it now...dont tell Yvette that I used the instant installer!

coppermine is interesting! I have it set up as a subdomain (using mapping tool); when I go to sub.domain.com, I can view things just fine, but can not upload. However, when I use domain.com/folder (which is where the subdomain points), I can upload.

This isnt a big deal for me. For my wife, however...when I tell her to tell other people to use sub.domain.com to view the pictures, but use domain.com/folder to upload and make changes, I'm going to get 'that face'.

You know what I mean.

I just set mine up as a directory in domain (i.e., mydomain.com/coppermine). It was the easiest way for me and those who use it.

I hope things work out for you so you don't get 'that face'. I get that one from my lady sometime when I talk tech.

Oh and thanks for getting me to look at my gallery again. It was missing some files when I made some changes and I couldn't upload. That's not good!

-William D. Tammeus

Registered
    Hi - looking for information on galleries, and found these posts. I saw that Gallery and Gallery II are available on Powweb, although I can't seem to find how/where to go to get that started. But you mentioned coppermine. Is that better? I take it that coppermine is outside of powweb, and you bring it in? Thanks.

Registered
    OOooooooooohh, I found Install Central!!! (new to powweb)
    I see both Gallery II and Coppermine are available. Any recommendations/warnings on either?

Master of Maddness
    I use coppermine (http://media.madd74.com) for my images. It is powerful, very advanced, and as always I will WARN YOU that if you require tech support, research well on their forums because they do not take to noobs at all. You will pretty much well get yelled at, unlike the friendly fire here at powweb. What I enjoy, and will soon use coppermine for, is streaming of video and things like that.

Of course, if you can hold a few, phpBBv3 is about in it's final stages, and they have a mod for images. Most likely will migrate my images over there.

Seen, but have not hear much, of the gallery. It really depends what you want to do. If you go to my site, you will see a little of the image part.

I haven't tried Coppermine but I use Simple Viewer in conjunction with Google's Picasa. Simple Viewer has the template for Picasa so it makes the flash image gallery easily. I like it a lot.

I have had better success with Coppermine on Powweb than with Gallery 1 and 2. When I am on a capable server, I prefer Gallery.

Registered
    gallery is better, my gallery used to work just fine till they removed without telling me jhead... now im up and creek packing up to go with all my clients.

Master of Maddness
    who removed it? what makes you say that gallery is better, I am just curious

JHEAD was not removed...it just wasn't re-installed after a server upgrade. So, if your gallery uses JHEAD, it won't run on PowWeb.

There is another thread discussing this right now (http://forums.powweb.com/showthread....ight=Jhead)and someone thought they found a path to it. Search the forums and you should find an older discussion on this too.

is this why my gallery doesn't work??

http://whiteknucklemotorsports.net/gallery2/main.php
    WhiteKnuckleMotorsports.net

Jhead was added to the wishlist several months ago by someone who started another thread or myself. You can still vote for it. I tried to add other things to the wishlist that did not appear in the list in OPS. The person in charge of the list has a lot of other things to do, so it can be a while.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions