As of today, you no longer need to remember your MySQL hostname as mysqlxx.powweb.com. From now on, just use username.powwebmysql.com in your scripts and we'll take care of the rest.

Don't worry -- scripts using the old explicit format will continue to work. We just ask that over the course of the next few weeks you update your code to use the new hostname format (username.powwebmysql.com). This way, when we do decide to stop supporting the old format, you won't run into any issues.

If you want to see the new format of your MySQL hostname, it is available under the Manage MySQL page.

Here are a couple of questions you might be asking:

Q) Can I access this hostname from an outside source?
A) Nope. We still limit database access to only inside our network, and these hostnames are only routable from inside our network (i.e. a DNS lookup won't even find them).

Q) Do I need to use this new hostname style?
A) Not immediately, but eventually, yes. We recommend using it for a few reasons, but the best reason is that it'll make it much easier for us to move databases to new servers with no disruption in service. This means we can add new MySQL servers without having to take down customer sites.