Thread: MediaWiki responds very slow after PHP upgrade

Registered

MediaWiki responds very slow after PHP upgrade

Until last week the MediaWiki has been responding acceptable, but now it can take a minute or more to have the page display. I am suspecting it's got something to do with the PHP or MySQL upgrade, although it doesn't report that I have been upgraded yet.

Registered
    This is the 2nd time I am trying to reply to this post. The first time I received a message stating the moderator must approve my post before it is posted. I to had a slow running installation of MediaWiki. Version 1.65 requires PHP 5 and my account was set up for PHP 4. I uninstalled MediaWiki, enabled PHP 5, re-installed MediaWiki and now everything is fine. My home page was tacking over a minute to load before I enabled PHP 5. Hope this helps.

This is the 2nd time I am trying to reply to this post. The first time I received a message stating the moderator must approve my post before it is posted.
    A few more posts and you will not need the moderator to approve posts. That is just for new members to cut down on spam.

I uninstalled MediaWiki, enabled PHP 5, re-installed MediaWiki and now everything is fine. My home page was tacking over a minute to load before I enabled PHP 5. Hope this helps.
    Good post. We keep telling people to install the latest (stable) version of software and to reinstall a fresh version if you are having problems. It is like when you have to reinstall Windows on your hard drive for better performance.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Registered
    <newbie alert. sorry for any breaches of netiquette. I'm trying to become self-sufficient in my troubleshooting, so forgive me if I ask poor questions. I promise not to ask them more than once.>

I installed mediawiki last week. It was reeeeeally slow, but worked, and it seemed quicker as of yesterday. At present, however, it does not work at all. I.e., I enter the url, the firefox icon spins for a couple minutes then stops and I have a blank screen.

I have a few questions at this point:
    1. might this have something to do with the acknowledged MySQL problem I see reported elsewhere? If so, how would I know that other than asking here or call support?
    2. In this thread is mention of "my account is set up for PHP n". How would I determine what my account is set for?
    3. Also mentioned is an uninstall/reinstall solution to problems. How would one do this with InstallCentral installations? And how would this be done without losing data already in the wiki?

Thanks for your patience and assistance.