Thread: Non MySQL Albums, Yes

Non MySQL Albums, Yes

I've been running Gallery 2 for 18 months or so.

The slowness issues are killing me. I don't enjoy looking at my own albums (snails pace comes to mind). Sometimes I've had to wait over 30 seconds just to log in.

At times, even sections of the PowWeb control panel has been painfully slow, but thats another issue.

I keep waiting on the big fix, but....

In the last few days I tried two html based programs on PowWeb that don't require the use of a database (MySQL). Magic Gallery and JALbum.

The display speed of photos was something I had not expected (FAST).

So far I just run test using 640x480 format, but very happy with the results. I normally post 800x800 at a reduced dpi and will be testing that size in the next few days, maybe next week. I suspect I will be satisfied with the results.

I ran a slide-show in JALbum and it was so fast I had to change the delay between photos, as they were loading too fast to enjoy. Slide show option for me is a big plus and JALbum is the easiest to implement on the JALbum skins that offer it.

JALbum has a few FLASH based skins that I'm going to test next and compare display speeds. The FLASH skins seem to give a little bit more flexibility on type of files allowed, but I have not really played with all the skins yet.

Both programs have a Pay Pal option and prints can be ordered for printing.

By not using Gallery I lose the ability for others to post photos, but that has never been a big issue.

Anyway, I suspect more than a few have no need for programs such as Gallery and just use programs such as that, as that's whats offered on PowWeb.

They may wish to take a look at the programs mentioned or whatever else is out there and maybe save themselfs a bit of disappointment, as I don't think most of us want to learn the in's and out's of MySQL. Especially when it may not be an issue an individual can fix on his or her own.

In the last few days I tried two html based programs on PowWeb that don't require the use of a database (MySQL). Magic Gallery and JALbum.

The display speed of photos was something I had not expected (FAST).
    In another thread, I suggested that people find galleries that do not require MySQL. It is faster to FTP photos to your web server than to upload photos through a php script in the browser. It is great that you shared your experience. Maybe other people will try this.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by losttarget View Post
    losttarget, as long as you're trying out different ones, may I also suggest Web Album Generator:

http://www.ornj.net/

I've used it on a site or two. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but for a basic gallery, it works

HTH

symo
    Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
    - Philip K. Dick

Registered

JALBUM Rocks

Having used Jalbum for years now, i can attest to its ease of use and versatility. The latest verion will even host your photos for you, so for smaller sites that could be an option worth checking into. There are so many different skins for Jalbum, you're bound to find one that suits your fancy and some even have their own web site to help with customizations and such. Well, that's my $.025 worth.

Craig
    http://clinganphoto.com