Thread: Something for the Marketing Staff

Registered

Something for the Marketing Staff

I have been at PowWeb for about 2 years now & have seen my initial sign on limits of Disk Space & Bandwidth nearly doubled, which is great.

I just checked the PowWeb homepage 1500GB with 15,000GB bandwidth with a new sign up, OMG, that is double my current limits. Don't get me wrong, I am nowhere near my current limits so this is not about old vs new signups, but after being a noob webmaster & administering various PHP scripts based on SQL, I now know these numbers are almost unattainable.

I am now looking for the marketing of the quickest & most robust SQL servers, not the 15,000GB of bandwidth, I doubt that even 2% of your customer base comes close to using that but it is good marketing.

I would bet that most webmasters that need to adhere to a shared hosting environment are now looking for quick SQL, how about marketing that for a change.

I am looking for this, "Yes we offer less storage & bandwidth than the other guys but we guarantee we have the quickest SQL services than any other host, period" You could go on about how SQL powers just about everything from Forums, Photo Galleries to E-Commerce sites.

Me being me, I am now looking for the best SQL shared hosting available, period. PowWeb does not, as of Jan. 2008 understand that, so I am searching.

Give me a reason to stay.

This is a customer helping customer forum and I doubt that marketing looks at it.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

Registered
    I understand. I just rechecked my limits for my site 40GB Storage & 800GB bandwidth, so I was wrong about what I had.

I know what I don't have & that is decent SQL services.

Who cares what you can store, I can do that from my own in-house server. My problem is slow SQL & has <<been for a long time>>. Alot of my photos are stored on my own server here at my home, where maybe 1 person per week accesses them. What I want in a webhost is hosting a quick Forum.

The photo gallery I have installed at PowWeb (Gallery2) is quick for downloading photos, but horrible at browsing the gallery.
    Last edited by IanS; 1-18-08 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Edited phrase to comply with forum policy on discussions of parent company.

Maybe Marketing and the Engineers should talk to each other before the train hits a tight corner at 100 MPH.
    I don't suffer from laziness, I enjoy every minute!
    Edit your php.ini here
    http://members.powweb.com/member/cgi...nt/PHPplus.bml

Advice given in the past has been that offers for new customers will be matched for existing customers if they ask support for them. This happened in the past, and they gave the extra MySql databases, bandwidth and space.

I've put in a request for the extra, I'll report back if it's granted or not.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

I have to go back and look at my Bandwidth and storage when I am more awake and have more time. I am seeing odd numbers on one of my accounts.

An account I created in like November or December still has lower than PowWeb is advertising. When did the new amounts kick in?

They don't 'kick in', under New Powweb they need to be requested.

They don't 'kick in',
    I should have been clearer, I was wondering more when they became available to new accounts.

Ah! The first I knew was today when I saw this thread.

I'm happy to report that existing (or long standing as support put it) can have the increased limits simply by asking for them.

I'm not surprised to report they won't allow me the 'free domain name' - I wasn't asking for it anyway!

I'm exceedingly surprised that my OPS panel shows a massive 145 MySql databases available, of which I'm using Zero! They seem to have increased it by 70 (from 75 already). I'm assuming that increasing by 70 is how they get to 75 from the original 5.
    Last edited by IanS; 1-19-08 at 07:57 AM.

Registered

OK, now I'm torn

OK, now I'm torn. Do I request the extra bandwidth when it is obvious that I do not need it, yet? Or do I hope that they know I have not requested & favor me for other aspects, like support or SQL? Someday in the future will increased limits be off limits for the older, already paid clients, therefore stuck with what they signed on?

I just upgraded my PhpBB2.0 Forum to a PhpBB3.0 Forum tonight. The install went flawlessly, the conversion of the 2.0 database to the 3.0 tables was a nightmare. Time-outs again & again, spent an hour with support in Chat, where they basically said, "I'm passing you down the line, we will email you when the problem is fixed." Decided that was a non-answer, came back to try converting again at 2am CST, errors one more time but then on the second try complete success.

I realize that the converting is a resource hog, & maybe just maybe somebody out there did me a favor by upping my server limits because I have not requested the hugely advertised storage & bandwidth. Please say it is so, because I was just about to do the offline conversion that php.com suggests, messy, very messy.

Or should I just request the extra bandwidth & storage that I probably will never use?

Thanks for putting up with me,
    Rob

It is unlikely that you'll get extras to those that do update their storage and bandwidth. I update when the updates are 'discovered' by others (I rarely visit the Powweb front page to see what is the current offering).

Improvements to other parts of the service package (other than Bwidth and Wspace) that is offered by Powweb occur all the time. The headline improvements are what are being requested.

Improvements to MySql operation or connectivity etc aren't going to be reliant on you NOT updating, they will happen (or won't) without regard to your package capacities.

You are experiencing problems with timeouts etc. If I had a task that I didn't want interrupted (or one that shouldn't be) then I'd try to do it off-line, even if there weren't issues of connection... But that's me, play safe as possible!

As it says in the Good Book, "Ask and ye shall receive". I did at 11:23am PST yesterday and they upped my limits by 9:25pm PST. Now I've got more space and bandwidth than I can ever use.

Who do I email to give kudos for quick service?
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

Well Doc,

Shouldn't you know the answer to that? LOL
    Peace,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Doc C View Post
    Who do I email to give kudos for quick service?
    feedback@powweb-inc.com ....just kidding.

i've been told it is now suggestions@powweb-inc.com

feedback@powweb-inc.com doesn't exist .....

feedback@powweb-inc.com should exist, in fact, I read e-mails in that queue almost every day.

Did it bounce back? it shouldn't.

And if you do submit something to it, it's just going to me anyway, so no need to do it. Feedback = received.

You posted your email here?! Now you will get spammed! Just making that spam filter work harder.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

That's not my e-mail by any means. It's a generalized feedback e-mail that goes into our messaging system.

It just happens that I read the messages in that queue.

The spam filters work pretty well, I'm not too worried.

It's a generalized feedback e-mail that goes into our messaging system.
    We call that the trash can. All the spam and junk mail go there.

It just happens that I read the messages in that queue.
    You couldn't read all that mail or that spam filter is really great. If it filters bad words, you have only been receiving positive feedback?!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by mjandreau View Post
    feedback@powweb-inc.com should exist, in fact, I read e-mails in that queue almost every day.

Did it bounce back? it shouldn't.

And if you do submit something to it, it's just going to me anyway, so no need to do it. Feedback = received.
    Totally just kidding, really, I meant to do that. Apparently feedback@ never existed, it's always been suggestions@powweb.com

If you've got a complaint about support, or a suggestion on services, etc, send it to that address. You'll probably get something back from me, telling you how I love you and think your idea is fantastic, or assuring you that I'll slap the knuckles of whomever in support did wrong by you with a yardstick.

I actually had good phone support from New Brunswick this morning. I didn't bother to call back about the slow webmail problem, though. I am using mail2web.com which is fast, because I am afraid to switch from Squirrelmail to another email client without making things worse!
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by mjandreau View Post
    If you've got a complaint about support, or a suggestion on services, etc, send it to that address. You'll probably get something back from me, telling you how I love you and think your idea is fantastic, or assuring you that I'll slap the knuckles of whomever in support did wrong by you with a yardstick.
    I can not begin to tell you how nice it is to see a member of Powweb's official people cordially interacting with Powweb customers here on the boards. Since I'm not sure if you'll get it in your box, I just want to say thank-you for being here, and for letting us know that someone "official" from Powweb is involved in the discussion and the community. Really, this is hugely reassuring and very nice to see.
    http://www.strive4impact.com
    Have a positive impact and making a difference!