Thread: Question on how to in FP

Registered

Question on how to in FP

Ok, I teach FrontPage and also do the school website. I have the school site saved on my laptop and the students create pages to put on the website and save them in their school file on the server. How do I move the page they created for our school site over to the website?

This will depend on what access you have to the pages they created. The first step, if you can, is to get them to a common area of the network that you can access and they can save on. You may need the network manager to create this temporarily as a network drive.

Once they're saved in a common area, load them onto your laptop.

You will probably want to move them to your local copy of your site and create a link page for them to be viewable. After testing locally that the navigation works, you can then republish the site. This should upload changes to your pages (for the navigation) and their pages.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Once they're saved in a common area
    I would avoid putting them in a "common" area and instead have the network admin grant you access to their student file on the Network. If you have the students put them in a common folder, other student might be able to get access to them.

An alternative is to create a "Drop Box". This would be a folder that the students could write to, but could not read from. When they are done with their pages they save them to that folder, and then you can retrieve the final document.

I'd go along with the avoidance of a 'common' area, but I know being granted access to student folders directly is more likely to be refused by the network manager (at least in my school). A common area is relatively easy to set up (as would be access rights) but... no go. The method described is the one that worked at the school where I work with a similar problem.

Entrecons description of a 'drop box' is almost what I meant. If these pages are to be placed on the web site then giving them read access temporarily shouldn't be a problem. Adobe Contribute works well if you want many pupils to have access to creating web-sites. It allows review of pages by an adult before publication. I've seen this used successfully for 'Community Pages'. Youthnet is an example of pages produced in this way by pupils at the school I work at.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!