Thread: MySQL and Joomla 1.5

Registered

MySQL and Joomla 1.5

1st off: I'm a total newbie. Please talk to me in your replies like I was a two-year old.

I'm trying to install Joomla. When i get to the database info part, I get a message that it won't connect to the database/MySQL.

Here is the setup:

Basic Settings

Database Type Select Type mysql mysqli This is probably MySQL
    Host Name This is usually localhost or a host name provided by the hoster
    User Name This can be the default MySQL username root or a username provided by the hoster, or one that you have created whilst setting up your database server.
    Password For site security using a password for the MySQL account is mandatory. This is the same password used to access your database. This may again be preset by your hoster.
    Database Name Some hosts allow only a certain DB name per account. If this is the case use the table prefix option in the following Advanced Parameters section to distinguish more than one Joomla! site.

Should I use "localhost" for the Host Name? If not, how do I find out the Host Name? I"ve emailed this question to support, but have not heard anything in two days.
    Should I use "root" for the User Name?
    I know the password and Database Name are what I assigned it.

You need to create the database in the OPS control panel first. The hostname will be your username.powwebmysql.com (you will see the exact name under the database name when you create it) This will also give you the username, password and database name.

In OPS Services|MySQL, https://members.powweb.com/webControl/mysql/manage.bml, all info you need is.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    No luck. Keep getting the same error:

Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

Do you thing I might need to delete and retransfer the Joomla files to the site?

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
    No luck. Keep getting the same error:

Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

Do you thing I might need to delete and retransfer the Joomla files to the site?

Yep... that was it. I re-transfered the files and now it works. Obviously, I had a corrupted file from the initial upload.

Alright, glad you got it (the new u/l) going now.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'