Thread: Newbie Very Much In Need Of Assistance!

Registered

Newbie Very Much In Need Of Assistance!

Hi All:

I am VERY new to the website world of designing and publishing. I am starting my own event planning company, and decided to start a webpage just to see what kind of bites I get as a beginner in the industry.

The short version of the story is that I read a few websites giving A-Z steps on how to set up your own website. I got my domain and my web hosting taken care of, and since I have an Apple MacBook, I decided to utilize the free iWeb software and make an example site so I could learn a few things.

Now that I know how to publish and upload, I am wanting to start designing my own site from scratch. I dont know HTML AT ALL! I am thinking of buying some web design software, but I have no idea what kind to buy or what to look for.

I am thinking on my site I would like my graphics to fade in and out as the user hops between pages. I know that typically this will utilize flash player.

I would also like to design some frames around the pictures I upload and so on. Right now, my iWeb software creates the folders and everything in them so I dont have to do any of that.

I really dont know where to go from here or how to get started. HELP

Thanks,
    Heather Jackson
    www.myblissfulevent.com

There's a free program called NVU www.nvu.com that has a Mac version. And for FTP http://cyberduck.ch is free for Mac. NetObjects Fusion will do all you want above easily without the need for flash, or with. But I don't think they have a Mac version available yet. If Macromedia Flash is to expensive look at SwishZone (I have both and actually prefer SwishZone). There is also SiteDeluxe and CM4ALL in your OPS control panel which are free but I don't like them much.

[edit] Still no Mac version of NetObjects Fusion.. Dreamweaver would be the next choice and has a Mac version
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Thanks Croc, but you still have me lost. When I download this NVU program, where do I begin? How do I know how to make the graphics fade or move? I literally know NOTHING about what Ia m trying to do....

Build some basic pages to get a feel for it. I don't think NVU has a feature to add image rotators or fade in effects. So you can search Google for free image rotator or free image fade in effect scripts (blocks of code). You goto code view in NVU and insert the script where you want it in your page adjusating it to pull your images. There are a couple of free online flash slideshow code generators around to.

You could always make your entire website in Flash but it costs alot.

[edit] SwishZone (Swish Max2) doesn't have a Mac version either.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Designing web pages is a constant learning process. I've been at mine now for over 5 years and I'm still implementing new ideas and designs. Knowing HTML is not a prerequisite but being resourceful and logical is.

It will be confusing to start but soon you'll figure it out and thing will be clearer. Here are some tips to get started;

- Consider the site builder that Powweb offers
    - You want a WYSIWYG editor (what you see is what you get) - I use Dreamweaver, Nvu looks fine and it's free.
    - Find a site that you like and check out it's Page Source. Right click and select View Page Source. This will give you the page's code and you can learn loads from this. You can even copy it and paste it into your editor (the code part) and tinker. It's an excellent way to lean.
    - Dreamweaver has a couple templates that you can use that look very professional. They are a bit generic but you can tweak them to be your own.
    - Another option is to use software such as Gallery or any of those that you see in Install Central. They can be a bit tricky to set up and customize though.
    - I agree with Croc - start with just one page with Nvu - make some hyperlinks, etc and slowly pepper it up. Get a good web design book to help you. If you have the cash get a good WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver. In the long run you'll save time.

An old thread - please don't revive long dead threads.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!