Thread: Where is the installation Information for Wiki's

Registered

Where is the installation Information for Wiki's

Having just spent the better part of 30 mins climbing around in the Powweb site and not finding ANYTHING - other than this section todo with Wiki's can someone point me to where

1) What Wiki's they have available ?
    2) Are there any installation instructions available ?

Well here, http://www.powweb.com/powweb/autoInstalls.bml, is a link for question #1. As for install instructions, there might be some somewhere. I don't have any info for that.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    Thanks Snowmaker - I appreciate the link
    Interesting that you input wiki in the site search and nothing comes back !!

It's to bad to see how all of the good help information that used to be up in the support section has disappeared.

The other interesting thing is after two days - nothing from Powweb answering the my questions - I guest the "stuff" about 24hr support is just "stuff"

PowWeb Staff
    Support is available 24 hours a day (we have staff working round the clock) -- The target ticket resolution/time-to-recontact has always been stated as 24-48 hours.
    Well, that's the way I see it -- for the moment!

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by dmacminn View Post
    Support is available 24 hours a day (we have staff working round the clock) -- The target ticket resolution/time-to-recontact has always been stated as 24-48 hours.
    What support - I tried online for minimum of 10 min's on Friday afternoon and Saturday mid-day and tried on Sunday to use the phone - gave up after 15min's on the phone.

It's not a trouble ticket - I just want to know how to do something that I have done a couple of times before under the old managment -

SO I repeat WHAT SUPPORT ??

And as long as you took the time to respond - WHY didn't you take the extra couple of moments to answer my questions - !!!

there used to be "detailed" instructions on how to install a wiki on a powweb site - Does that still exist ???

The reason that nothing comes back for wiki is that it's a four letter word and if I remember right, all four letter words are too short to give a response.

Did you try chat?

You might try being a little more polite on your posts. People tend to respond better if not given attitude from the get-go.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

Quote Originally Posted by msjordan View Post
    1) What Wiki's they have available ?
    2) Are there any installation instructions available ?
    If you are wanting to use Install Central, then snowmaker has already answered your first question. MediaWiki is the only wiki listed in Install Central. Install Central will take care of the installation (maybe)... do create the necessary database first. As for the second, you could probably find operational instructions at the web site for the Wiki you choose.

If you are wanting to do a self install, whatever wiki you choose to download from whatever wiki site you choose, should have necessary installation instructions.

symo
    Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
    - Philip K. Dick

Registered
    Doc
    If the feeling you got was targeted at the user group, then I apologize - my frustration and anger is targeted at PowWeb and my inability to get a simple question answered -

Ist two attempts were at chat - 3rd attempt was via phone.

Symo
    Thank you for the direction - I'm assuming MySQL for the database- do you have any idea what the file should be called - the last couple of these had some very specific requirements.

Again - this is simple stuff and there used to be a very easy to follow instruction list detailing what things were needed, where things should go, and what to name things - but I can't find anything and Powweb isn't answering any questions. FRUSTRATING

Your assumption is correct. MySQL tab in OPS. Doesn't really matter what the database is called. If I were installing MediaWiki, I'd probably name the data base wiki, or symowiki. Then assign a username and password. When you do the install, the installation will usually ask if you want to preface the tables with something (like wiki_ or some such) this is so you could use the same database for more than one application.

When asked for your database host, you should see that in the little privilege's table that is made when you create the database. It will be username.powwebmysql.com, where username is your OPS username, not to be confused with the database login name.

Again, if you are wanting to self-install the wiki vs. using Install Central (installing not using Install Central has a consensus around here), then whoever's wiki you use should have some kind of downloadable installation instructions.

HTH

symo
    Last edited by symo; 3-10-08 at 08:45 PM. Reason: who said I could spell?
    Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
    - Philip K. Dick

PowWeb Staff
    Unfortunately, there will be no reference in our Knowledgebase system to installing any third-party applications (if there is, let me know and I'll have it deleted!) -- the only thing we really lean toward providing assistance with might be walk-thru's of setup of typical email clients. As noted, we do provide Installcentral to install/de-install applications with known versions, but no support is provided in actually operating/maintaining the application packages -- that is something best referred to the application's support site or forum.

As you can see from the above responses, the forum is the best place to get information on installing third-party applications onto a Powweb account -- there is no way we could commit resources to supporting third-party apps or documenting how to install them -- its simply not something we can support or assist with given our available resources.

The old material was removed almost two years ago, as most of it would have required dramatic updates to be current and relevant to the existing Powweb platform. Anything relevant that is helpful to multiple users can be made sticky in the Forum so it is easily located for users who have solved issues/problems with a particular application. The forum should be the first place to go to ask questions about what software will operate on Powweb -- the people here who have tried/succeeded/failed to get certain apps to run will be the best resource to guide you....

Registered
    I am sympathetic with the msjordan's view. A year or so ago, I tried several times to install MediaWiki on my site. It never installed satisfactorily. PowWeb staff was no help at all....via phone, chat, or email.

There is a disclaimer on the Install Central page regarding the installations done there.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

PowWeb Staff
    And to reiterate -- you should have absolutely no anticipation of assistance with software/application installation support --- Technical Support don't provide that as part of the webhosting service support: we handle only the core functionality (test CGI and MySQL) and have no training in third-party applications.

There have been discussions about offering paid support for Installation and Configuration -- and, so, we have recently moved forward with a Design Services group, http://powweb.com/design
    You can now contract for assistance or installation for many web elements by a team specifically trained in site development and integration. (which, again, is something that the Technical Support team has been provided no training on!).

Tickets which slip through for installation or scripting issues are actually set to the lowest priority in the system ; we address these only as someone has extra time available and/or some competence on a particular application to review and offer suggestions -- this, of course, with the caveat, that staff are not permitted to recommend particular applications and are not to undertake any responsibility with respect to installing third-party applications for accountholders. Since such issues are not, in fact, "supported", they are likely to move beyond the typical 24-48 hour recontact time that we aim for with supported issues. Depnding o complexity, the resolution may run anywhere from 1 hour to 72 hours for the lion's share of tickets.