Thread: Website submission to search engines

Registered

Website submission to search engines

When I built my first website here about 3 years ago, the hosting plan included automatic submission to the Internet. I just transfered another domain name here and built a new site....only to find out they no longer offer website submission to search engines!

When I called to ask about it, some snippy little girl told me to submit it through their pay-per-click service.....then hung up on me!

I don't need or want a pay-per-click service. My site is for information purposes only. So now what do I do? How can I get my site submitted to the search engines and make sure it's available now....without waiting for them to find me?

Any help......in dummy terms.......would be greatly appreciated.

What's the hurry, submit your website at Google.com the rest will follow. You should manually submit to all major search engines. Mass blind submission services will do your site rank/weight more harm than good.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Beta tester
    Shelly, here are links to the main ones to get you started:

http://www.google.com/addurl/
    https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit
    http://search.live.com/docs/submit.aspx

Like Croc said, the rest will follow. Inbound links from other (reputable) sites will help the process.

You might want to check this out. It gives some info on what Google's looking for.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

You could also post a link here, the search engines hit the forums regularly.
    Of course it will have to be moderated, as you don't have many posts.
    I don't suffer from laziness, I enjoy every minute!
    Edit your php.ini here
    http://members.powweb.com/member/cgi...nt/PHPplus.bml

Simply posting a link for that purpose is unlikely to get past the horribly strict moderators

Now, if there was a problem that needed solving and a link was included that's a different matter.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

You always ask for a critique from the horribly honest moderators.
    I don't suffer from laziness, I enjoy every minute!
    Edit your php.ini here
    http://members.powweb.com/member/cgi...nt/PHPplus.bml

That might work, although we've had quite a lot of 1 post visitors recently who've asked a question never to return to posting so this thread may not be read by the OP'er. The OP'er could be one of them!
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

The best solution is to put a link on an existing site to your new site. All search engines that visit your old site will find the link and will schedule their visit to trawl your new site. I have not submitted a site to Google for years.

Don't use any of those site submission services, they are completely out of fashion. The three submission links given in a previous post cover over 95% of the market.

I would also suggest visiting Google's Webmaster Tools which I have found to help make your site more Google Friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Neat Pete View Post
    The best solution is to put a link on an existing site to your new site. All search engines that visit your old site will find the link and will schedule their visit to trawl your new site. I have not submitted a site to Google for years.

Don't use any of those site submission services, they are completely out of fashion. The three submission links given in a previous post cover over 95% of the market.
    That's not very accurate, esp the 3 links = 95%, but whatever helps you sleep at night lol. Google Webmaster Tools is a great resource and the leader most others if not all follow eventually. Create an account and get your XML map etc up, it's free.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Quote: That's not very accurate, esp the 3 links = 95%, but whatever helps you sleep at night lol.

Oh yes it is, it's nearly right. And take note, Google is increasing its monopoly, the others are not catching up like they claim in the computer mags. Also the lesser lights try to bolster their share by adding in some intranet search or desktop search, or by quoting their share in a niche market. Also they quote out-of-date figures where they used to look good.

Here are some figures off public sites hosted on PowWeb, hot off the press...

Google 1453
    Google Images 513
    Yahoo 179
    Microsoft 51
    Ask 30
    AOL 12
    All Others 81

Remember the good old days when Altavista and Excite both had a market share over 5%??? Not any more, the 81 Others above includes Altavista 1 and Excite 1.

Remember WebWombat and Sensis (the search engine for Australians)???

Facts first, verdict afterwards. The above result is just a fraction under 95% for the big three.
    Last edited by Neat Pete; 3-18-08 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo

Sensis is still operating aren't they? It's a big problem with the internet, misinformation. As far as search engine market share this is what I get from a pretty accurate source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=4

Feb 2008
    Google - Global 77.27%
    Yahoo - Global 12.23%
    MSN - Global 3.51%
    Microsoft Live Search 2.49%
    AOL - Global 2.11%
    Ask - Global 1.30%
    AltaVista - Global 0.12%
    Excite - Global 0.06%
    All the Web - Global 0.02%
    Lycos - Global 0.01%

Feb 2007
    Google - Global 75.91%
    Yahoo - Global 12.38%
    MSN - Global 5.49%
    AOL - Global 2.26%
    Ask - Global 1.30%
    Microsoft Live Search 1.02%
    AltaVista - Global 0.23%
    Excite - Global 0.10%
    Lycos - Global 0.03%
    All the Web - Global 0.03%

Feb 2006
    Google - Global 67.13%
    Yahoo - Global 15.06%
    MSN - Global 10.98%
    AOL - Global 3.23%
    Ask - Global 1.17%
    AltaVista - Global 0.34%
    Excite - Global 0.15%
    Lycos - Global 0.08%
    All the Web - Global 0.04%

Feb 2005
    Google - Global 57.36%
    Yahoo - Global 19.49%
    MSN - Global 13.50%
    AOL - Global 4.14%
    Ask - Global 1.20%
    AltaVista - Global 0.56%
    Excite - Global 0.26%
    Lycos - Global 0.09%
    All the Web - Global 0.07%
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Beta tester
    Google + Yahoo + MSN/Live = 95.5%

Interesting to see Google's 77.27% share considering MSN is the default homepage for a large number of systems.

See what I mean? more misinformation ~smack~ lol. The link is to MSN Live Search = 91.99%

Last time I looked (was years ago) a full MSN submission was near $600. I love Google but the thought of them becoming the only player, a monopoly makes me uneasy.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Croc, thanks for the link. And there is your 95%, but it was only 90% 5 years ago. That means the market share of "Other " search engines has halved in just three years.

As for Sensis "The search engine for Australians" - don't get me started. Not to mention the "Australianization" of Yahoo as seen in Australia - merely a tactic to sell more adverts in Australia.

There's heaps already written about whether Google will end up a monopoly like Microsoft, or an icon like Coca Cola. I'm not going there just now.

The question must be asked why Google is preferable to MSN or Yahoo. Just use them for a few days and you will know why. Yahoo and Microsoft have both been told repeatedly what's wrong, but despite millions of dollars in research and programming, it's never fixed. If they join up, it will never ever be fixed and Google will be laughing while the combined number two search engine languishes. (You read it here first).

Microsoft always dreamed of passing Yahoo, and the Feb 2005 figures show then neck and neck, but there has been a huge decline since then. Just calling themselves "Live" was silly enough, but a flagship product is called Dot Net. Not to mention the acronyms, NT = new technology and XP = extended performance.

Quote Originally Posted by KitBear View Post
    Shelly, here are links to the main ones to get you started:

http://www.google.com/addurl/
    https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit
    http://search.live.com/docs/submit.aspx

Like Croc said, the rest will follow. Inbound links from other (reputable) sites will help the process.
    The information posted here is informative and appreciated.
    Wondering though ... what about DMOZ open directory?
    Thanks!

DMOZ is pretty much defunct now IMO. But if you want to submit sure you can try, it wont hurt. I submitted one there last year and as far as I know they still don't spam you or anything.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

i was a category editor volunteer at DMOZ for a time...then some servers went down and people could not edit their categories for weeks. i forgot about it for a while, and when I tried to sign in as an editor again, I was kicked out for not checking in.

There are tons of sites that feed off of DMOZ, which leads to links. I'm not sure if it helps or hurts though. I can say that, from my webstats, I rarely ever get clicks from any of the DMOZ clones. In fact, I cant recall the last time I did. Google shows dozens of such sites though when I check for links to my domain.

I remember the days when I would put a site up, and then you had to submit and wait and wait.

Now is like, I am not even done building a site, and google has already been there.

I think is safe to say, submitting to the engines is pretty much obsolete.
    Peace,
    Mike

If you have a link to your website, the search engines will probably find your website. You should have a robots.txt file for the search engines that look for it before going any further. If you have a site map or simple navigation from the index page, your other pages should appear quickly.

There are still benefits to MANUALLY submitting websites to various search engines AND directories. Many people simply think of Google, Windows Live (MSN) and Yahoo, but there are others. And links from some of them can help, though link popularity has little weight in the algorithm for ranking.

DMOZ has not been updated in a long time and hasn't driven traffic to any websites. You can find directories for your location or topic, for example: if you sell puppies in Anytown, PA, you would look for business directories in PA, Lehigh County or the United States. And you could try neighboring localities. Then look for other websites about puppies or pets. There are directories, forums and other websites.

In the past, people tried to get as many links as possible. But the quantity isn't as important as the quality of the links. Do people visit that website? Do they visit the page where your link appears? If YOU were looking for the link, would you click it? It doesn't matter what type of website it is: search engine, directory, forum, personal or business website. If the links are found by your target audience and they click it, your website can be found.

I have several clients with top ten ranking that do NOT use pay per click advertising. The website itself must be designed well to help search engines and people find the pages and information. Submit to Google and use Google Webmaster Tools to see how your website is doing. You can make changes based on the information reported.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

The founders of DMOZ have created a new web crawler called ScoutJet at http://www.scoutjet.com. Those magic words: "next generation search technology".