Thread: SiteDelux & Powweb with multiple domains

Registered

SiteDelux & Powweb with multiple domains

Ok I'm starting to wondering if Sitedelux will even work with multiple domains on Powweb. Is anyone on this forum successfully able to setup different sites in Sitedelux and publish them to different domains? I have had a support ticket open with Powweb since May 6th now and it's still unresolved. I have my main domain hosted with powweb but it already has a website on it that was created with dreamweaver by a friend, so I don't want to touch that. I have other domains that I have pointed to powwebs name servers and have them setup in powweb ops domain pointing manager. I have inside the /htdocs/ folder of my main domain folders called domain1_com, domain2_ca, etc. I then have the domains pointed in domain pointing manager to the /htdocs/domain1_com/ folder etc. Seems this is how it should be setup.

Now I have site created in Sitedelux that I want to publish to say www.domain1.com, so I setup my default site editor in ops to be www.domain1.com, and chose Sitedelux as my default site editor. The problem is when I publish the site it gives me an error about permissions. But it only does this if I have it set to the domain1_com subfolder in htdocs on my main site. If I set it to the root of /htdocs/ it will publish fine but then it just puts in in my main htdocs folder where there is already an index.htm file and my main site. What it does is create an index.html file. But since it must check for index.htm first I don't see the sitedelux site when I go to my main domain but I don't want to see it there I want it to go to www.domain1.com for eg.

I hope you guys understand my long ranting, and get what I'm trying to do here. Any comments would be appreciated...

I understand it, but also doubt Sitedelux as provided by Powweb will work in this way.

Try a different route - use a different program to create a similar site.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered
    Actually it turns out it does work. I just figured out how to do it. Took me quite a bit of screwing around to figure it out but it's now working. I just updated the support ticket telling them how I figured it out and how you can get it to work. I will make another post shortly and explain how it works so that others may benefit from it.

Registered
    Yes, I'd be most interested in how you did it; I'm trying to set up the same scenario and have the same problems you describe.
    Thanks for your efforts.

PowWeb Staff
    Essentially, SD will only offer to publish to subfolders if it has an index file (that it created, in the root /htdocs) -- this is because it was designed to have One SiteDelux site per account [which continues to be the recommendation].

Powweb allows multiple sites with different domains on the same account --- but SD will only publish to a subfolder if the root index is taken...
    So you can try other things like having the order of initial files change (or use an index.php that directs to a rename of the original non-SiteDelux index, etc.)

So, yes, multiple sites is a cludge to configure...
    there are also some gotchas when trying to publish to a domain or a domain redirect instead of just a folder based on the <username.powweb.com> reference...

Let's see what experience has taught you about how to get the multiple sites to work ....
    Well, that's the way I see it -- for the moment!

Registered
    I'm interested to know how this would work as well. The only way I know to "publish" to different domains, is to use the Domain Pointing tool.

Is there any way to publish directly to a different website, for example when you click the "publish" button, you could publish it to www.mysite.com or www.mysite2.com, instead of your default "home" website?

Thank you!

PowWeb Staff
    No, there is not -- my recommendation is to publish a simple one page dummy site into the root (make a copy of your existing index.html); then publish subsites to specific folders (even your "Main" site) -- then use domain pointing manager to have the different domains read from specific folders into which you published the site.
    Well, that's the way I see it -- for the moment!