Thread: Backups Not Downloading - Who Else Has This Prob?

Registered

Backups Not Downloading - Who Else Has This Prob?

I've NEVER been able to use the site backup feature, I can restore my files on the server just fine but if I try to download a backup, it loads and loads and loads for 2 minutes then takes me to a blank page and nothing happens.
    I spoke to tech support, they were useless as usual. It's not browser compatibility, I've been trying for over a year now but I've never really needed to download a backup until now because I'm wanting to move host.
    Yes I COULD use an FTP program but I have two and neither of them are as convenient as just having a full backup downloaded at full speed.
    WS FTP pro slows down constantly. Filezilla always gives me failed transfers. I could wait forever for WS FTP pro but I'm impatient, it's really not THAT big of a deal but the fact is, why doesn't this work for me?
    Really I just want to know if anyone else has had this same problem?

PowWeb Staff
    Not sure what site Backup feature you're referring to ... the Site Backup and Restore tool simply exposes the system snapshots for the system --- the archive tool is useful only for smaller downloads of multiple files -- most larger sites would time out on the 60 sec script runtime before they packed all contents --- so, essentially, the only recommended method is to use FTP to download a copy of the files. There are tools out there (syncBack comes to mind) that will repeat requests to complete a backup and ensure that your local copy matches the server copy.
    Well, that's the way I see it -- for the moment!

Registered
    Thanks that makes perfect sense! Here I was thinking the zip files were already available for downloading, and were automatically created every night.
    Shame tech support couldn't have just told me that.. thankyou, guess I'll have to be patient with WS FTP pro.

Honestly, I've never been one to trust "backups" from a host, regardless of the host.

I use an application called "Handy Backups" (http://www.handybackup.net/), which is a little expensive, but worth every penny.

I've got nightly backups that backup any file I changed in the last 24 hours, as well as my MySQL databases.

It works via FTP, and runs locally on your PC (Windows only, I believe). It connects, looks at every file, checks if they've been modified, then backs them up.

I also have a weekly backup every Sunday night, that copies everything, regardless of modified date.

It stores the data to your local PC, a DVD, an SFTP, or FTP location, your choice.

I trust my home PC more than a web server. But that's just me.

picture - Tamshui, Taiwan sandy's Avatar
    I've been trying to download files to my PC using WS-FTP, and today I continue to get stops with "blocking errors", using passive transfer and without passive transfer. Constantly restarting the download.

Have a wonderful Friday!
    Sandy