Thread: Enable CGI Not Found

Registered

Enable CGI Not Found

I have looked all over, and maybe I am just missing it. I have checked the forums and maybe I have missed it there too.

everything that I have found on the forums telling how to enable cgi does not work. not only does it not work but the locations on where to click aren't even there. and yes, I am in ops.

from a post by dmacminn on 2/18/08

You can select the CGI link in the OPS panel and click the [Enable CGI] button to schedule the system to fulfill CGI for your account

there is no cgi link on the ops panel that I could find. I checked CGI and Scripted Language Support as it is the only mention of cgi I found on the ops page. and there was no enable CGI on that page either.

some more searching on the forum I found someone who had posted the following link with just the text "Enable CGI"

http://members.powweb.com/member/cgiManagement/

this just takes me back to the CGI and Scripted Language Support, with once again no enable CGI button.

Seriously it shouldn't be this difficult. Why isn't a just a simple click on a main page? why doesn't installcentral do this automatically? and really why isn't enabled by default? Scripting is so very common one would think that it is enabled by default.

anyway... Where is it?

On newer accounts CGI is enabled by default. Installing apps from Install Central does enable CGI as well. If you do not see an enable CGI button/link chances are it's already enabled.

To test, make a text file called info.php with the code below in it, upload it into your htdocs folder and goto yourdomain.com/info.php in your browser.
    PHP Code:
    <?php phpinfo(); ?>
    It should display a list of all php modules. If it does you should be set.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    ok.. did that... got a 404 page... there is a red dot next to cgi and scripted language support. and I never saw a cgi bin directory in the file structure.

like I said it never brought me to a place where enable or disable CGI.

Jump into Chat Support and ask them to check your CGI, it may just need to be recompiled on the server.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Quote Originally Posted by Croc Hunter View Post
    On newer accounts CGI is enabled by default.
    Did I miss something? Was there an announcement about CGI being enabled by default on new accounts?

PowWeb Staff
    No, changes at this time -- (unless somebody messed up a server backend script) -- you still need to wait until after 9:00 AM ET or 18:00 ET (6:00 PM ET), for the fulfillment script to run to rollout CGI onto the account.
    Well, that's the way I see it -- for the moment!

Registered
    hi, i have the same problem with the Enable CGI, i have talked with the tech support of the powweb site, he gave me a link to enable CGI, i press "enable CGI", then i waited until 6PM (st), but it didnt eanble, i chat with them again, so he resolve the problem and i started installing some scripts, after few min it happen the same problem, i dont know why???? that means that they enable my CGI and then after few min they disable it???? is that true???

i have installed joomla in my powweb server account, but there is a problem when i want to enter my Admin login!!!
    can some someone tell me why it shows this problem when i go to www.mywebsite.com/administrator,
    "The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log. "

it happened to me when i start installing joomla but i have contacted thier support and they fixed the problem, but now the same problem with Admin login .......

help me pls....
    Last edited by IanS; 9-15-08 at 02:38 AM. Reason: merged double post - extra info from one added to first post

Not disable but it may have broken. If you are sure it's not your script, go to support again and ask them to recompile CGI on your account.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    ok, thanks, i will try with them.....