Thread: Re-Org with DW 3

Registered

Re-Org with DW 3

I'm using Dreamweaver 3. I've never needed anything fancier because it's a very simple website (fansite for an online game - where the info provided is more important than great web design). I started off small and didn't give any real thought to file organization for the site and all files, including all images, are just in the one main folder. Now that I have over 250 files, will add many more in the future, and have just moved to my own domain at PowWeb, I'm thinking that's not so smart.

So my main question is, is there any easy way to reorganize all the image links on all the pages if I want to make an images folder in the File Manager on PowWeb? Or would I have to go through and change each one individually on each page to be updated to the new source location?

And maybe a secondary question is, if there's an easy way to reorganize like that, does anyone have any tips or links to guides on good site organization on the host server end of things? As in, should things be broken down/separated even further than just a separate images folder?

The site is still available in its old location for a while

Here

if anyone wants to take a look to see what I'm talking about. I don't want to have to put in tons of extra work, so it may just be easier to carry on like I have been. It may be messy, but it works! Heh. For publishing, I upload files individually because I just tend to add things piecemeal as I have the time and am in the mood.

Thanks for any help for a not savvy "webmaster"!

RLM

Your website has categories and subcategories much like an outline. Your directories (folders) could be categorized in a similar fashion. Before the website gets any bigger, you should reorganize your files.

Create a folder named Temple and place any related files in that folder. You could create a subfolder named Leya inside it to store files related to Leya. It all depends on how much you plan to add and what is best for you.

Your links open a new window and you do not have a link to the previous page, home page or a site map. Consider having a navigation menu (consistent list of links) that appear on EACH page to make it easier to navigate.

My son LOVES websites like this one! When he gets home from school, I can ask him to look at it. I think you may want to redesign your website since you are already getting overwhelmed. I remember when my first website (for myself) was only 33 pages. It grew to over 500 pages, then I decided to reorganize and remove some pages.

So my main question is, is there any easy way to reorganize all the image links on all the pages if I want to make an images folder in the File Manager on PowWeb? Or would I have to go through and change each one individually on each page to be updated to the new source location?
    You can use Dreamweaver or another search editor to find an image and replace or edit the link with the new link. An easy example is to put all images in a folder named images (inside the main directory called htdocs on PowWeb). Then search all web page files for img src=" and replace with img src="images/ and upload all files to the web server.

If you make subfolders, you will have to search for the img code and instead of automatically replacing code, you will manually review and replace with the appropriate folders and subfolders.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Registered
    Hi Yvette,

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at the site and give me a helping hand. As I woke up this morning I was thinking about it again and had decided the same thing you mentioned is probably the way to go, setting up subfolders for each major section of the site, just like it's divided up on the site itself. So you confirming that's a good idea helps a great deal!

You're right about using a navigation bar type of deal, even though I hadn't been thinking about that at all. I started out with one, but that was several years ago and I can't even remember now why I didn't continue with that. I guess it's past time to put that feature back in again. (I use the new windows for links simply because that's how I browse the web. I almost always open links in new windows, no matter what I'm doing, to make sure I don't lose track of previous pages I might want to go back to.)

Also thanks a huge amount for the tips on doing the search and replacing for the image codes for getting everything updated. I'm not looking forward to all this but I'm sure I'll be much happier to get it done now than when I have 500 files to deal with!

RLM