Thread: Joomla webpages won't load

Registered

Joomla webpages won't load

Hello, I have been scouring the forum for 3 days and talking to tech support to find out
    what I need to do to get Joomla 1.5 to display webpages from the template dir.

I manually installed 1.5.7, I have everything set up, database connected etc etc. What I have not been able to do is to view a Joomla web page on my domain. Originally I had the subdomain pointed to /htdocs/sitefolder/templates/beez and I had continuous errors. So I moved the beez folder to /htdocs/beez and reset the pointer. The errors are gone but I only get a blank page with no graphics.

So far after trying piece together a solution after reading 20 or more posts, I think CGI needs to be on, which supposedly is on, according to tech support. It says activated in the server settings. I loaded a test.php script into /htdocs and it doesn't work.

So what else might I be missing? What needs to be edited in the php.ini file?

God this is frustrating, I should have paid the $25.00 for Powweb to do it, but thought I could save a dollar, here it is 3 days later. How difficult can this be???????

Any reason why they can't post a simple Joomla set up solution to follow?

Thx for any help.

If a simple php script doesn't run, contact support again.
    I don't suffer from laziness, I enjoy every minute!
    Edit your php.ini here
    http://members.powweb.com/member/cgi...nt/PHPplus.bml

I agree, if a test script in your htdocs doesn't work most likely your CGI needs to be recompiled by support so have them double check it. Also check Chmod permissions on htdocs are 755. As you had Joomla running I think you'll find it's a path/database problem. Can you login to the backend?
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Ok. my domain is pointed to www.whitecrane.ws which is actually the "BEEZ" template
    folder from Joomla 1.5 which is located at /htdocs/beez I have a test.php script in it that runs fine. I cannot however, see any of the webpages. It's the index.php that does not want to run. I cannot get any of the templates to display anything except "restricted access" I assume these templates in 1.5 are for 1.5

I installed another template guaranteed to work in 1.5 and I set the domain pointer back to /htdocs/whitecrane/templates/jsn_epic_free/ all I can get is "Restricted Access" when typing in "www.whitecrane.ws I have researched this on the web and saw that System-Legacy was supposed to be turned on in the Plugin Manager. I have done this, but still no dice.

Ok, now I will try to make my own sample template and see if I can get some positive results.
    Last edited by Doc C; 10-10-08 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Merged 3 rapidly submitted posts for clarity

Registered
    BTW My reputation of level 5 preceeds me, I'm not worthy.

Someone deemed you worthy.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

Registered
    Yes I guess I was stretching things a bit in the worthiness dept.

Well, I have done some experiments.

My domain is now pointed to my Joomla 1.5 dir located at:

/htdocs/whitecrane/templates/mytemplate

I created a simple template as per instructions on the Joomla website.

A simple index.php and templateDetails.xml

When I display "www.whitecrane.ws" I still get "restricted access" so why is the index.php no working???????

This is the same for every sample template as well.

I have a test.php script in the folder and that is working, so CGI is on.

I am baffled.

Registered

Problem solved

Ok, I just figured out that Joomla accesses the index.php file from the Joomla root folder not from the template folder. Apparently after 4 days working with support
    nobody was able to enlighten me. I had the domain pointing to the template
    folder.

Case closed.