Thread: Another New Person Needs Help

Registered

Another New Person Needs Help

I got working in this site builder software before even checking to see what comments there were about it.... silly me.
    Now, I've attempted to work through the stuff just to get my page up there so that I can get on with some other important things, thinking that next month I'll try out some other software (Nvu for one... looks cool).

But, in the meantime, I am (as a matter of course it seems now) having trouble with this "simple" program.

I've created the pages, and hit the "publish" button. I get the message that tells me "congrats", but if I go to look at the new website, or send it off to my proud parents (!), I get error messages.

One is a "Remote Publish Error".
    Another was telling me that the directory has no file index...

So, I've just spent a few hours wading through the forums & finding out that I may be screwed.... .
    I can't seem to find how to create "a default HTML page". I did find the list of proper file names for home/index pages... but don't know what to do with them.

To end this long story, my question is: does anyone have a pointer (or two) in layman's terms, please.....
    Or, should I just wait one more day to attempt to publish these pages & hope for the best???

Registered
    Oh yes... I've also tried wading through some "help" too.... Not finding help, I came here. Cheers.

What is your domain name? Your index.html (or whatever extension you like) needs to be inside your htdocs folder. Have a look in OPS> Services> Site Tools> File Manager and look at what files are/aren't inside your htdocs.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Aha! A Start! (Thankyou)

Domain name dwgline.com... is that what you want to know?
    I found the sitebuilder content file folder in htdocs... inside is a "Home.html" file...
    To the left of that is a "download" sign & an "edit" sign....

Am I supposed to download this? Do I now do something with the FileManager?
    (Sorry, I need a book!)

I'm not sure what "sitebuilder content folder" you're referring to. It seems it's not publishing correctly, http://www.dwgline.com/Home.html
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Yes, I think you are sooooo right.... egad!
    In the htdocs folder there is another called "sitebuildercontent".

Ah, well. It refuses to work today, then it refuses to work....
    I will give it a whirl tomorrow. I've just downloaded the Nvu, & now that I know what I want to put on the pages, I will try again with that program.

Thank you for attempting to help.
    Love your avatar, by the by.
    Cheers,
    Susan

Registered
    Oh, by the way... How do you move a file back INTO the home directory (presuming, lets say, that some ninny went & moved it out???? ). I don't see this option anywhere obvious....

Download it then re-upload it where you want it, or republish with Sitebuilder. I'm thinking there must be an incorrect setting in your Sitebuilder.

sitebuildercontent is probably where it places images javascript etc. Sitebuilders biggest downfall is relying on javascript to navigate what should be a simple html site.

NVU is the old version, the name was changed to Komposer and developed further so you will be better off using Komposer, it's still free. Another good program to have is an FTP client called FileZilla. It's free and works like File Manager but is much more flexible in uploading/downloading files to your Powweb space. Komposer has it's own inbuilt FTP client to publish your website much like Sitebuilder did. If you need help Susan with settings or anything don't be afaid to ask.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered

Unhappy

Back here again... new day, new problems. (Geez, the time is a wastin'!)
    I have to say that I've given up on Site Delux. Still not able to publish (although it still gives the message congratulating me on doing so!); and I don't see where people are looking for direct help with this wee little program.... Maybe there is no such thing?
    (So, this also begs the question.... why on earth is it offered on the powweb site if it causes so many headaches? It was one of the reasons I chose to use powweb.... sob!sob!)

Anyhoo, I have downloaded & installed KompoZer, and have also downloaded some free templates to try so that I can get a feel for this program.

Unfortunately, I continue to have problems. (Maybe it's the coffee....)

I got the impression (from reading the "help" & "tutorials" that I just load the templates (which I sucessfully did), then click on the body of text & type my own stuff in. It isn't working.... (I get the pop-up table or image properties dialog boxes.)

Am I missing something really basic or obvious that I can't see for looking???

More advice greatly appreciated. (Please consider that I'm a layperson!!!)
    susan

Registered
    I hope it's okay...
    Since I'm switching to attempt to use KompoZer, I'm going to ask the questions about that in a new thread.... Under Website design &.....
    S>