Thread: cm4all reviews?

Registered

cm4all reviews?

Hi...I have a client who needs a pretty comprehensive website, but most importantly they need to ability to easily update a couple of the pages themselves. I usually build websites in .html with an editor. So I needed another solution for this particular client.

I am looking into cm4all. My biggest concern was that I didn't see a place that you could edit the .html code directly within their admin interface. However I contacted PowWeb and they said that all those files are available after publishing and are fully editable.

So my question is...who has used cm4all? Do you like it? What are your "pros and cons"? Any info would be helpful.

It sure seems popular. Apparently it has over a million users worldwide. So they must be doing something right.

Thanks all in advance for your input.

Sue

PowWeb Staff
    You are correct, you cannot edit html or integrate it into CM4ALL -- that products is designed to keep all the information and simply produce the site at the end...

You could use that for some part of the site and link from another site that has the "open" complexity you require... Otherwise, you would have to simply use "links/URLs" in the CM4ALL that point to something you've done elsewhere...
    Well, that's the way I see it -- for the moment!

Registered
    Hi dmacminn,

Thanks much for your reply...

I see that you are a PowWeb Staff member.

Your post said: "You are correct, you cannot edit html or integrate it into CM4ALL"

When I sent a support ticket to PowWeb, their response was that you can view as well as edit .html files created through CM4All in FileManager after publishing.

I would appreciate it if you could clarify which answer is correct. If I choose to use cm4all it will only be if I can have access to the .html files.

Thanks so much for your help,
    Sue
    Last edited by Doc C; 10-24-08 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Post edited to remove direct quote from Support

jonsuey, direct quoting of Support is not permitted. Please paraphrase. I have altered your post to conform to policy.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

Registered
    Sorry 'bout that...didn't realize.

I gotta tell ya though...I've been getting some really strange answers from Support. And I'm not sure what to think.

Alright...I won't put a direct quote...but here's what I was told about this issue of being able to edit .html files in CM4ALL after publication:

Yes,You can view as well as edit the .html files created through CM4All in FileManager after publishing. However, it will not work. Hence, you should not use FileManager to edit the CMall Web site.

I then replied with,

"You say, "yes you can edit the .html files"...but then you say, "but it won't work".

I simply want to know if it is possible to directly edit the .html files created by CM4ALL. I don't care if it's with FileManager or FrontPage or whatever .html editor there is. I just want to know if I will have access, for example, to add specific .html code like a PayPal donate button, or Google Analytic code, etc. I just need to know if I will have access to edit the .html files of CM4ALL."

I was then replied to and told...ad libing of course ;-)

Previously, I had already informed you that it is possible, but it will not work. Hence, I request you not to edit it through FileManager.

So what are they saying? I can do it...but it won't work? Doesn't make sense. And I'm sincerely trying to investigate it if this program will work for what my client needs. This was my reply...and if someone who knows could answer...I'd certainly be appreciative!

Will it not work just through FileManager? Can I use another .html editor to edit the .html files?

Thanks for your help. I have a client who I would like to use CM4ALL. However they require a few applications (some JavaScripts and some PayPal donate buttons) to be integrated. I will need to have access to the .html files in order to integrate these applications properly. Will I be able to do this in CM4ALL?

It seemed like such a simple question.......oh well.....

:-)

Thanks much any all for whatever help you can lend.
    Sue

Hi Sue, I think they are trying to tell you, yes you can publish the CM4ALL created site and then edit any file you like with FileManager. However once you edit files with FileManager the changes are not reflected back in CM4ALL. So if you were to publish with CM4ALL again the changes you made with FileManager will be overwitten/lost. Therefore the answer is yes, you can edit the files with anything you like, make backup copies first. Ok?

I don't know CM4ALL very well but there should be a code view type option allowing you to insert any code you like into your pages and republish. This way the changes will stay in the program. KompoZer is free and has a code edit view.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

PowWeb Staff
    Exactly Croc! The CM4ALL is a template design system that produces output files (.html) -- so, as I noted originally, you might want to separate out and handle files being modified (with additional links to other site features, etc) as one set, and allow CM4ALL to handle the bulk of the common site (that would only need text/layout changes occasionally) --- as Croc notes, it runs on a separate system/server and simply uploads its result to your account area.

So -- you can edit the html files on your account, even if CM4ALL dropped then there -- but, if you make changes in CM4ALL, it would overwrite the files without any concern for changes you made (it uses the copy/design inside Cm4ALL)...
    that is why, I suggest doing some in CM4ALL - but anything you need to specially handle and don't want overwritten would have to be added by you in additional files -- obviously CM4ALL could just have links to those other files (non-CM4ALL files!) to keep the site together...
    Well, that's the way I see it -- for the moment!