Thread: Re-Start with KompoZer.

Registered

Unhappy Re-Start with KompoZer.

So, I'm re-starting my web page. (Gave up on SiteDelux, as page won't publish & pictures won't come in.) That was good & easy, to the point of not working, though....

I've downloaded & started playing with KompoZer, and have even "successfully" started with a template. Or so I thought.

I understand that this little program supposed to work like this:
    I open KompoZer.
    I open a new file, loading a ready-made template (saving me time!).
    I click on the body to change the type. Or click in other areas that require changed.

It sounded so simple. I watched a demo. It all made perfect sense. But it isn't working. I've now tried searching other tutorials, tried using different templates (all the freebies until I know I can get this to work!), and am getting very frustrated....

So, am I really missing something obvious and so simple that it isn't obvious???

I'd love to hear your comments, and if you offer advice, I'd love to get it in layman's terms, as I'm really new at this. (I DID take computer programming waaaaay back when punchcards were in use... but that was a whole other lifetime )

Ta,
    Susan

To create a Template page: Click File> New> A new document based on a template> Choose File. Select the Template (Note templates have the file extension ‘mzt’). Click ‘Create’. Your page should appear.

To use the page: Click in the editable areas. Select and delete the sample text and replace it with new text. If the editable area was repeatable a small square appears within the label, hovering turns it red and clicking makes a copy. Repeatable items cannot be edited at this stage, however copies may be made for editing later. Copies have small circles which act as delete buttons. If any area was optional a small circle with an x appears within the label. Hovering turns it red and clicking deletes it. When all editable boxes have been completed detach the page from the template by clicking Edit> Detach from template. The page now assumes its final appearance. Save the page in the normal way. The areas which could not be edited earlier have been completed. Now it is possible to edit any item and as a work around the frozen repeatable items may be added.

This may help you: http://www.charlescooke.me.uk/web/ugs07.htm
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Hi 'gin Mr. Croc..... Thanks for wading in to my new prob.

Well, I've tried the editing process, clicking in the editible areas (or at least I think I'm clicking in editable areas), they don't seem to be editable.
    While messing around I tried the detach thing, and could see that then I could work on some text, but then I don't get to use the preview part... It doesn't show me what the page will end up looking like....I'm presuming here, that I've got it all wrong!

I watched a UTube video tutorial on Nvu which made me think that this was going to be uncomplicated. I think that I'm making something really simple very complicated!! haha
    I've looked through Cooke's help & tutorial sheet, but it doesn't seem to help me with this problem.... Near the end, it just goes through opening the template & then tells you to click & change the stuff. Unless...... Hmmmmm.... (I'll have to go back to that & do some re-reading.)

It doesn't seem to matter which template I try, nor where I got it from, my problem is the same.
    Which lead me to believe that I am missing something very obvious. I'm thinking that I have to take a few days off to continue on my house reno ... (THEN re-read the directions.... Unless someone wants to come here & walk me through it step-by-step)

(Or could it have something to do with the fact that this computer's OS is Vista?)

Well, on this side of the world it is way too late to think. So we tackle this again another day. Fiddle. I was hoping that today was the majic day!
    S.

Did you save it first? Open your template, do a save and see if you can edit.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Yes, did that too.

Registered
    Well, today is my LUCKY DAY!

I finally have the site working, after calling customer support. (I didn't realize that to get customer support for using SiteDelux you use the Powweb customer support.)

They fixed my problem as far as publishing goes. Now I that I'm feeling optimistic once again, I will attempt to fix errors on my pages & add pictures.

Oh, glory beeeeeee!!
    thanks, Croc, for trying to help.

Best regards to you & wish me luck in trying to change, improve & continue to learn in the future....
    Susan

Registered
    Oh yeah...
    In the post above, I should have mentioned that it is the SiteDelux that is up & running now... I have yet to work out the problems with KompoZer. But, in re-reading some tutorials on Nvu, there is mention of publishing the site first, even without all the changes made, so that the website builder software knows where to look for the template. (Okay, so I forget what exactly was said, but it was something like that.)
    Anyway, I will continue to try KompoZer to learn.... and maybe even retry coffee cup so as to create a better site.

(But, I've already got my hands very full with new 3-D, BIM drafting/design software... which is WAAAAAY cool!)