Thread: I speak user U speak programer

Registered

I speak user U speak programer

I am a new user her at Powweb, I can not figure out anything. I chose this service becasue of the clam that you can have a site up and running in an hour using SiteDeluxe, not so for me. I have went to Install Central and installed a few things but I do not understand how it is installed or even where it is at on my site.

When I look for them they do not appear on the website preview, am I missing something? Like I said in the title I speak user, I have been using the internet for only 3 months and have used only Blogger which is completely user-friendly.

I am a digital scrapbook designer, all my products are digital in nature and the purchaser must download once it has been paid for, I chose to switch from a Blog to a web-site to offer my customers automatic downloads. I need a forum, Blog, e-commerce and that's just the surface problems I am incountering.

Seriously, is there a use this service for dummies because that's what I feel like right now. I feel like I just wasted a bunch of money and time here. When I create a support ticket it tells me to log in to view it, I do that and no ticket ever shows up. What do I got to do to get a little help?

PowWeb Staff
    SiteDelux is a template driven system, that can get a bare-bones site up in just a few minutes -- that gives you a web presence while you go on and construct additional things...

InstallCentral (IC) is for installing specific applications (third-party, common community type apps) -- it does an install or de-install -- so you can roll it out quickly usually and see what it would look like ... that said, many Powweb users do their own install, without IC, so they have full control of how it is setup -- that takes more knowledge but is more flexible.

All tickets show in the Support Console; tickets are created for escalated issues and/or you can put one in yourself rather than using an email, chat session or phone call.

Your description is not, of a "a simple website" -- it is complex and has multiple parts; if you plan to run a forum, a blog, and an ecommerce and purchasing site system -- each of those areas has multiple types of program available... that means additional decisions on what will be used and how it will be integrated into the site...

You can, of course, ask in the forum for suggestions and/or help with certain features form other users with experience -- you should view the SiteDelux as simply a "presence" for the initial phase -- you likely will find its simplicity to restrictive for a site integrating all the features you described above...
    Well, that's the way I see it -- for the moment!

To further on what dmacminn said;

Building a website (especially one as complicated as you want), isn't something you can just "do". Writing code takes patience, and years of learning, studying, and practice.

If you want something that complex, and aren't willing to learn, your best bet is to hire a professional. Especially if this is your fulltime job, and your livelihood. A Professional could probably have that built in just a few short weeks, or so.

I would second Mike's opinion, but would not discourage you from hosting at PowWeb...so your money would not be lost. You will just need to find a web programmer/designer and tell them that your hosting is already paid for.

There is a forum on here where you can post with your job requirements and I am sure that a few of the folks on her will be in touch with you.

I am a digital scrapbook designer, all my products are digital in nature and the purchaser must download once it has been paid for, I chose to switch from a Blog to a web-site to offer my customers automatic downloads. I need a forum, Blog, e-commerce and that's just the surface problems I am incountering.
    You should look for an open source CMS (content management systems) that fits your needs. Your biggest issue is "digital downloads" since some things work on some web hosts and not others. For example, Zen Cart works on PowWeb but their method for digital downloads no longer does without "a workaround". Remove the period from the random subdirectory Zen Cart creates for downloads and it should work.

If you install Drupal, you can install the Ubercart module for ecommerce, use the built-in blog feature and forum feature. Joomla may also have similar features and has a few choices for ecommerce, though I don't remember if any supported digital downloads. I just checked and VirtueMart DOES support digital downloads!

Visit the websites of the software you prefer and manually install it on the PowWeb server. They provide instructions and have their own support forums. Don't rely on Install Central to install software. Keep a backup copy of what is on the web host server and your database as administered in phpMySQL which can be accessed through OPS (PowWeb control panel).
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by dmacminn View Post

Your description is not, of a "a simple website" -- it is complex and has multiple parts; if you plan to run a forum, a blog, and an ecommerce and purchasing site system -- each of those areas has multiple types of program available... that means additional decisions on what will be used and how it will be integrated into the site...

Oh, I do realize it is not a simple website, I am just going crazy trying to figure it out. So I should just get the bare bones site out there and integrate the rest as I get time? I guess I just thought that I was reasonably intelligent so it would be easier than it is. Thank you for the advice.
    Last edited by snowmaker; 10-29-08 at 08:10 PM. Reason: fixed the quote so it quotes

So I should just get the bare bones site out there and integrate the rest as I get time?
    You should compare open source programs and choose ones that fit your needs. If you install something now and want to integrate it with something else later, you would have to find something that is compatible. It is best to know what is compatible now and test them.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

It won't be easy to integrate the many items you wish to include with the SD software, it would be better to plan from the start what you want.

The first question to ask - Can I afford to spend time on this, or is the cost of a professional in the field less than the cost of my time I'll take to lear and master this?
    Another way of asking that, how much is my time worth?
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Ian must have customers like mine. I installed a new CMS for one client who continues to call me, though I typed instructions I wrote, sent instructions as given by the CMS, sent video tutorials created by other users and talked her through the instructions by phone many times. Another client has used Zen Cart for more than a year and still can't follow the instructions while others learn the software faster.

Before creating any website, you need to make a list of things you want now and things you may want in the future. If you never plan to use e-commerce, then you don't need to worry if your CMS supports e-commerce. It is good to do your own research even if you ask someone else to install and/or customize for you. You may read features that you would have forgotten to request when talking to someone else about your needs.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Registered
    Oh crud, I think I am in for a long long few months of learning things I never thought I needed to know. I published my site, pretty bare one that directs everyone to my old store and Blog until I get everything up here.

First question, how do I uninstall the programs I chose from Install Central so I can go to their respective sites and work that way? Everytime I go searching I can not seem to figure out where they have been filed and how to uninstall.

Second question, do I need to pay extra for e-commerce here at Powweb? I thought that I chose a host that offered it along with the plan I purchased, if I am being dense please just direct me to the proper place to get going there.

I guess by the time I get everything together I could probably go back to school and test out of these classes because I a not giving up until this is perfect for me. Does anyone recommend a place to start so I can teach myself what I need to know to get this site the way I want it. I have Eversoft First Page 2006, Paint Shop Pro 7, Photoshop Elements 6 and a multitude of various graphics programs as well as Microsoft Power Point. Do I need anything else to make this easier and a success?

Website creation software such as Kompozer should help some. (It's free, do a google search.)
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!