Thread: Joomla 1.5.6 No Menus No Sample Data

Registered

Unhappy Joomla 1.5.6 No Menus No Sample Data

I used InstallCentral to install Joomla 1.5.6, the installation reported success and the site is accessible but when I logged in as admin, there are no menu other than Main Menu...no user menu, no resource menu...no nothing. Further there is no sample data nor did InstallCentral give me the option of requesting sample data to be installed.

I have manually installed the current version of Joomla 1.5.7 (higher than Powweb's version) as well as the old versions...all had menus set up and I was always asked if I wanted sample data installed.

I contacted Powweb's Tech Support but they acted like I was nuts and gave such terse answers and never once acknowledged any type of a problem with how their InstallCentral script worked.

I manually installed Joomla 1.5.7 into my Powweb account...it asked if I wanted sample data and completed the install. The site works and logging in as admin shows that all menus that I normally see are there and functioning. What gives?

To add insult to injury, today, various Joomla sites I have at Powweb are funning so slow and I can't even report a problem as the support ticket form has errors when I try to use it. #$%$#%!!

Knowing how to manually install here why do it ay other way? Install Central is pretty fussy especially if the installs are on the one account.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

I second Croc on that. You will find that install central has a delay in having updates available. If you do your manual install you will be able to get updates installed as soon as they become available.

Install central is great for users who don't have the knowledge /skill set to install items on their own. If you have the ability to do it on your own, you definately should.

Registered
    OK, I am one without knowledge...how do you install the sample data if you did an auto install? Can it be done? Is a manual install easy to do, are there instructions anywhere? I talked with tech and they said it was a scripting issue as the template I am using isn't working properly and needs the sample data. Can you help a very, unknowledgable individual???

I had the same problem some time ago. Trust me and everyone else and do a manual install its not hard at all. Go to http://www.joomla.org/download.html and download the .zip file and extract it. Then just create a directory in /htdocs like /joomla and upload everything there with your FTP program. The web based installation will take you thru the rest step by step. You will need to create a new database in the OPS control panel but thats about it. There is plenty of documentation at the joomla site, but if you get stuck let me know.