Thread: Joomla database question

Registered

Joomla database question

Hello, I have moved my locally created Joomla site to Powweb. I created a database in Powweb and imported the exported database file. However I do not have all my menus, articles, etc etc. Is there something I missed on the mysql export? I do not want to have to rebuild the entire site again.

Thx.

You should have (manually) installed Joomla on your web host server. Most of us use FileZilla, CoreFTP or another third party FTP program to upload files to the web host server. Some people use the File Manager in the web host control panel (called OPS on PowWeb).

You should install Joomla first, then import the database. You can upload any additional or edited files to their corresponding directories. It is best to work with a clean installation and upload any missing files first. You should install the latest stable version of your CMS (Joomla in this case).
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Registered
    I did a manual install. This was not my first time installing and using Joomla on Powweb. I experimented with the Powweb 1.5.6 and manual 1.5.7 installation. I had no problems installing Joomla either way.

The problem was that I had no clue how to use it. So I installed 1.5.7 locally and created a site. I then followed some basic tutorials on how to move the finished material to a another web server. But like almost all Joomla tutorials they are severely lacking in basic
    teaching skills for people like myself.

I ftp'd the finished site folder to my Powweb account, I exported the local database, I created a new database on Powweb matching all the same parameters, or so I thought, I imported the data file. I see the front page, but all my menus are missing as well as all the content, articles etc. etc.

I have wasted too much time already looking for a solution. So I am now rebuilding everything from scratch. At least the articles are already done and I am fairly competent at using Joomla now, so it's cut and paste time.

Someday someone will write a comprehensive basic instruction set on what I just went through. But for now it does not exist. I guess nobody has the time. I run an insurance agency 6 days a week, plus I teach 4 nights a week at my martial arts school. If I had the time, I would write a good instruction manual. I have been teaching myself Joomla for the past two months every day at my desk. So I will now finish my martial arts website and then start on the insurance website.

I had a strong feeling I was makign a mistake by not developing on Powweb first. But I would still like to know how to move a Joomla site and keep everything intact and working. Because it didn't work for me.

Thx.

You are what you is... troycawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anm8tr2005 View Post
    I had a strong feeling I was makign a mistake by not developing on Powweb first...
    Yes, with unlimited transfer and storage now, it makes sense to develop right on the host. For future readers of this thread, that is what I recommend. (It does give the ftp a workout, though!)

Sorry I don't have much to add in the way of specific help for your installation, anm8tr, as I'm not strongly familiar with joomla. Sounds like you are on track to a "solution" though, albeit not an elegant one.

I ftp'd the finished site folder to my Powweb account, I exported the local database, I created a new database on Powweb matching all the same parameters, or so I thought, I imported the data file. I see the front page, but all my menus are missing as well as all the content, articles etc. etc.
    It is best to install the software on the web host first, then import the database. Sometimes there is a glitch when uploaded so many files to the web host server and a file may be missing or corrupt. Sometimes the problem is the php.ini file or permissions on files. The software often sets permissions that people forget to set when moving files to another server.

But I would still like to know how to move a Joomla site and keep everything intact and working. Because it didn't work for me.
    I have moved CMS sites to other hosts and I always make a fresh installation, then import the database and upload any customized templates. They didn't have too many mods, so it easy to do.

I don't work with Joomla often but it can be especially complicated when it is bridged with other software such as a forum or shopping cart. This is one of those times when you want to upload the files and change the configuration to work on the new server. There is usually a file named config.php or configuration.php with variables to be defined. You would change the configuration.php file, upload files to the server, export the database, then test to see if it works.

* $mosConfig_absolute_path: This is the absolute server path to your new Joomla! installation. It will probably look something like "/path/to/joomla/installation".
    * $mosConfig_cachepath: This is the absolute server path to the cache for your Joomla! installation. It will probably look something like "/path/to/joomla/installation/cache".
    * $mosConfig_live_site: This is your website's url. It will be something like "http://www.yoursite.com".
    * $mosConfig_host: This is the location of the server that hosts your MySQL database. For some web hosts, this value will be "localhost". For PowWeb, it will be username.powwebmysql.com.
    * $mosConfig_db: This is the name of your MySQL database.
    * $mosConfig_user: This is the database user name. Make sure this user has all privileges on your database.
    * $mosConfig_password: This is the password for your MySQL database user.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Registered
    Thanks for the feedback. I did edit that file and was able to connect to the database, but still not sure what happened to the rest of the data.

I remember trying to import the database for Zen Cart to another server. The database was large and I had to drop and create some tables instead of just inserting data into tables. Was your backup sql file complete? The web host backups for large databases are sometimes incomplete. It is possible to select some tables for backup and the rest of the tables for backup, then import each file. If the data is still in your backup file, you may still be able to import it.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design