Thread: Going online with a new site SSL Certificate issue!!!

Registered

Going online with a new site SSL Certificate issue!!!

Hi everyone, I have plans of introducing a website so that I can start my online business. The site will be dealing in computer accessories and all the hardware stuff that is related to the computer field with an online purchase facility. But, before that I would like to know the pre-requisites that are needed to run a website of your own that has an online payment option, as I was informed about the SSL certificate issues by my developer and would like to know more on this from you people.

Which/what particular 'issue' are you referring to regards to SSL certificates?

This is a shared hosting and has a shared certificate. This system works.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

You are selling software and hardware but not digital goods (downloads), correct? You can look at different ecommerce options (shopping cart software) to see what works on your web host and with your payment processor(s).

The payment processing is the biggest security issue. Many payments are processed on a third party website such as PayPal or VeriSign. The URL shows https for the secure server. You still need to collect the customer name, address and contact information to process the order. That data should be stored in a database and not simply sent via email to you (the website owner).

The SSL certificate is commonly available for most web hosts. You normally don't see the message unless/until someone uses https in the URL. Don't let anyone try to force you to pay a lot of money for a certificate.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Which/what particular 'issue' are you referring to regards to SSL certificates?

This is a shared hosting and has a shared certificate. This system works.

Hello Ian, the "issues" that I was referring to was that which providers are good and what prices the certificates demand? . I wanted to know just a simple way to get them.

Thanks for the information YvetteKuhns . I would certainly keepthat in mind. For a third party I would certainly consider paypal. But I was also informed about Thawte and RapidSSL being among the good providers.Hope to check on them too.

At present you can't use your own SSL here at Powweb, so which provider isn't an issue for for those on Powweb.

The organisations mentioned by Yvette are primarily known for payment, not specifically SSL certificates.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

The organisations mentioned by Yvette are primarily known for payment, not specifically SSL certificates.
    This is correct. In my work, I have noticed that someone will ask about SSL certificates when they are looking for ways to gain consumer trust. I mentioned third party payment processors since the trust must be placed with the handling of the data and the money. I read the entire post and was thinking about the entire scenario and not just the SSL certificate which is already available with the host.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions