Thread: Starting a rebuild with a new CMS??

Starting a rebuild with a new CMS??

Hey all,

I am going to rebuild my site http://www.assuredsecurityagency.com and would like to get your thoughts on Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal and the mysql issues here. I have read about the uptime/clogging issues with this and other large hosts and I am reasonably concerned as my site should be up 90 some percent of the time.

I'm not sure but I think Drupal is going to be a better one for powweb as it's lighter - right? (I've seen that response here) I just don't think i have the stamina to move just yet

I'm looking to update the overall look of my site (looks homemade now - I think) and I need to get some pics in it, and better SEO results.

I know I need to manually install the program to the database, I just cant find a thread (or a link to one) that explains it start to finish in layman terms - I would appreciate one if you have it...

Just for fun I tried the install central auto way last night (no-go errors) and deleted the database and backed out of it. Had to spend part of the night just getting the sporadic code errors off my original site.

Leads me to this question - can I download say Joomla to my computer - design my new site - then manually update server and upload new site? Or do I have to have access to the server to make the new site? And if that is true, any laymen instructions as to how to do that whilst not effecting my current site?

I have tried but I just cant get a good enough grip on code like .css and php and I need a more wysiwyg type program and I think a CMS may help me with my original issues from way back

Much appreciate your always helpful responses...

Jim
    assuredsecurityagency.com
    sendthepolice.com

Perseverance: "Continuing in a course of action without regard to discouragement, opposition, or previous failure"
    Will Smith (Movie Hitch)

Drupal and Joomla are big resource hogs if misused. You can only build your new site locally (on ur computer) if you install and run Apache/MySQL on your local machine (if you had local MySQL you would know it). If I sound blunt, I am. So many people dive into CMS clueless as to how they function then kick and scream blue murder when it all goes haywire. If you don't know what you are doing hire someone who does, a good tech will explain as they go.

If you want to self-learn that's great too, just be patient and research. Let's take Drupal, go to their website, try their demo and see if it's suitable. Also look into what themes/skins/templates are available, using one similar to the look you want will save many hours work. Avoid core code mods (modifications) as they make the necessary updating to latest stable release versions tedious. Download and unzip the latest version source files. You will find platform requirements ie Linux, MySQL 4+ etc. and an extensive step by step install/help guides come with any decent CMS.

The cleanest, simplest way to achieve what you want is make backups of all your current files/databases everything you can then delete the lot and install your CMS of choice to your htdocs folder. Sure you can setup a CMS in a htdocs subfolder then switch domain pointing when ready but this can cause all kinds of problems down the track if not immediately. You could even install a CMS into htdocs now accessing via index.php and delete index.html when ready if you wish as Powweb serves up index.html before index.php.

You have what I class a '5 page static html' website. I could set you up with Drupal or any CMS apply a theme, populate all your current data and outline exactly what I did in about 3hrs. Again that's blunt Jim, but true and I'm just giving you advice and options.

There's plenty of people here to help you if you DIY and get stuck.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Excellent response Croc!

That's kinda what I thought, I just couldn't put it all together in my head, thanks...

5 page static - huh?

That's the word I've been trying to say. See, what I really ever wanted was to have the header, a footer, some tabs, and links on the left remain in one location on the index.html page (I called this "static") then I wanted the body area to just be php includes and call them up when hitting a link or tab.

We tried this before "the big powweb migration" and was unable to accomplish it. After the migration the one and only link I had left "like that" (php includes) actually worked! (I have since not re-tried to do it) but that is the effect I was going for.

I really don't want to have to update all links on different pages if I wish to change one and I know that would work. Some have suggested .css as an option but that seems to me to be just the opposite from what I like (plus I would need to learn it).

The "function" I am looking for is found on this site http://lakescouncil.org/ (shown to me by Rick E a ways back) and we tried this with no luck (prior to migration). I'm just now getting back to it and I am considering my options and I'm not sure if a CMS is the best way to help me get similar operation.

I want to see what you think, and I'm not afraid to have you set up something (like a template) for me (if your interested/available) if it will save me time/effort, to let me change things(text/links) "on the fly" and with your approximate time quote that would be a no brainer!

Jim
    assuredsecurityagency.com
    sendthepolice.com

Perseverance: "Continuing in a course of action without regard to discouragement, opposition, or previous failure"
    Will Smith (Movie Hitch)