Thread: Error message 404 when submitting sitemap to google

Registered

Error message 404 when submitting sitemap to google

I used CM4All to do my website and I have been trying to submit my sitemap.xml to Google but have been getting the error 404 message: URL can't be found. Yet I can call up the page on Explorer, though the page comes with a banner message saying: "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." Can anyone tell me why Google Webmaster Tools is giving me the error message? Thanks.

I have received the same error occasionally. It can happen when your web host server is slow or Google is having a problem. Since Thanksgiving holiday, Google servers have been busy due to holiday shopping online. It may be their fault this time. You can try again another time and it may work.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Rick
    Of course, you should also be sure that the URL shown in the address bar of Internet Explorer is the same URL you submit to Google. Try viewing the page in Internet Explorer and then copy the URL directly from the address bar and submit that URL through the Webmaster Tools console. That should eliminate any error in the URL that Google is trying to fetch from your site. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

I just did one today using Firefox and it worked instantly.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions