Thread: How do I setup additional OPS login accounts and avoid incessant marketing questions?

Question How do I setup additional OPS login accounts and avoid incessant marketing questions?

How do I setup additional login/passwords for OPS access for others?

My experience so far... (** Rant Alert - Read at your own risk**)

Clicking on the "Personal" tab in OPS automatically leads down the following trail to nothing helpful---

Personal (tab) -> Account Profile -> Account Information

And so begins a marketing survey first asking if your account is for personal or business use... then contact information... then more questions about website use, business needs, etc. After the first two pages there is a link to leave the survey. Any attempt to continue to the link beforehand results in a "You must complete the questions marked with *" message.

Frankly, it's pretty infuriating -- for someone who actually wants to get some work done. It makes me wish there was a Guantomono Bay compound just for marketing people.

Anyway the real link is http://members.powweb.com/webControl/AccountInfo.bml

Now the funny part is that the OPS page changes to make it look like the above link is actually under "Services -> Site Tools". Going directly to Services and then Site Tools provides no such navigation however to this page.

Now I have my basic account information on the left under "Account Information" and "User(s) Information" on the right side. So I am thinking, "Finally--this is the place!". Well not really. Creating a 'User' just seems to give me the ability provide more personal details (for marketing purposes?). There is no ability to assign a username or password that someone else could use for OPS access.

I note that creating a new FTP account with password also does not provide OPS access.

There is only one OPS login per account for security reasons. Why would someone want or need more than one login? You can't share your account with other people and you are personally responsible for your account. You can create additional FTP logins and even choose to allow access to a subdirectory inside htdocs to protect your main htdocs folder.

I manage many accounts here and have my profile added as the web developer for many of my clients. If a client couldn't trust a web designer with the OPS login, he/she could change the password.

The marketing questions are extremely annoying when you want to get work done. They don't want us to ignore them, but that is what we do. The changes to the quick links are confusing to existing customers who don't login often and can no longer find links they used to click.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Thanks for your prompt reply Yvette. Having been around here awhile, I know you extemely helpful to everyone. Powweb ought to be paying you a salary. (or at least giving you a free ride on your accounts)

Quote Originally Posted by YvetteKuhns View Post
    There is only one OPS login per account for security reasons.
    Ok, that is clear enough. However, that is not actually specified anywhere else. To the contrary, powweb documentation about "account profiles" gives an opposite impression.

Why would someone want or need more than one login?
    Because more than one person runs the account--it's not a one-man band. Someone who I share the login and password could change the password and lock me out of OPS access for the account--mistakenly or otherwise.

Also, everything that Powweb does document gives a contrary impression to the one account philosophy.

For instance: http://www.powweb.com/knowledgebase/....bml?kbid=2929

A reasonable person would conclude this is actual access to the account-- otherwise what's the point of added account profiles?

The marketing questions are extremely annoying when you want to get work done.
    It confuses an already scrambled interface where someone did a very poor job of resolving legacy processe interfaces and new process interfaces.

bulwark, your post was in the moderation queue. I released it and deleted the other one.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

Because more than one person runs the account--it's not a one-man band. Someone who I share the login and password could change the password and lock me out of OPS access for the account--mistakenly or otherwise.
    I understand that. Believe me. Clients have gotten themselves and me locked out of their accounts. Very annoying.

A reasonable person would conclude this is actual access to the account-- otherwise what's the point of added account profiles?
    Well, I was able to help PowWeb forum members who added accounts for me even if only temporarily. They wanted me to communicate with support when the jargon was too technical or they simply weren't getting results. But I agree that some people would mistakenly believe that anyone with an account profile could (re)gain access to OPS without contacting support.

It confuses an already scrambled interface where someone did a very poor job of resolving legacy processe interfaces and new process interfaces.
    People were upset when I mentioned my disappointment with the changes in OPS. It was redesigned for new customers, but the option to have the Cpanel appearance or Text links was there and I naturally chose Text links as a legacy customer. I am still trying to adapt since things continue to change. But since I deal with many hosts, I am used to change. That doesn't mean I have to like it.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by bulwark102 View Post
    Now I have my basic account information on the left under "Account Information" and "User(s) Information" on the right side. So I am thinking, "Finally--this is the place!". Well not really. Creating a 'User' just seems to give me the ability provide more personal details (for marketing purposes?). There is no ability to assign a username or password that someone else could use for OPS access.
    User(s) Information is used if you have a webmaster, friend, relative, employee, etc contact support on your behalf. This gives them unique authentication credentials.

Registered

now OPS profiles causing Owner confusion

And here's the latest twist to this very confusing part of OPS.

Now one of the accounts that I'm the webmaster for has changed (automatically) to list me as the "account owner" even though my "profile" clearly says Webmaster. Even worse, it adopted my business name and address for the main account info. It appears this happened since the "owner profile" wasn't completely filled out.

I've even re-entered the Account Owner info under the "Profiles" section... and it still lists my name on the OPS control panel.

This is the worst part of OPS... and it's an important one. Unfortunately, it hasn't received any attention from Admin since it was discussed 6 months ago in this thread:
    http://forums.powweb.com/showthread.php?t=79744

Registered
    In any case, I think a feature like this should be added with options to control where that user is able to go, and what domains the user is able to edit and such.

It's against the AUP to disclose your OPS account user/pass even to Staff. It is tolerated within reason but certainly could see your account terminated. I understand the convienence creating multi-passes would be but honestly if you let someone into your OPS the level of trust and security to never abuse should be there. You can change your OPS password anytime. The ability to create FTP accounts is available, that is dangerous enough access in my opinion.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

where that user is able to go, and what domains the user is able to edit
    PowWeb accounts aren't really meant to be reseller accounts. I understand the need to have an account for the Owner/Client and one for webmaster, but much beyond that you really shouldn't need alot of people messing around in OPS. When you talk about letting different people access different domains, it really sounds like the use is going beyond what PowWeb allows.

Take the time to re-read the ToS, it will most likely clear up a few things for you.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus