Thread: CMS for just part of a website -possible?

CMS for just part of a website -possible?

Hello, I require the RSS feed generation and other functionality of a CMS for just certain pages of a website, but I don't want to go whole hog and build an entire CMS website.

So my question is: Is it possible to install/use Joomal, Drupal ...etc. so that it only affects say one page of a site, or one section of a page....? Kind of compartmentalized cms?

I have used pMachine blog-cms (now ExpressionEngine) and turned off most of it's features just to offer a simple cms announcement page on a website, without changing the look or feel of the site. Now I need the same 'simple' 'confined' install for generating RSS feeds off of certain website pages. I've read the way to do this is by using a CMS with RSS syndication features, which most of the good cms' have. But again, I do not want a HUGE learning curve just to gain this functionality.

Now my Bonus Question: Is there some other better method than cms for generating automatic rss feeds, or better yet podcasts? I've searched for software just to do this but only found others using cms to achieve this end. I have used FeedForAll to generate feeds, but this is one at a time all by hand - Oy! And I've played with Dapper (very cool) to scrape an entire page to create feeds, but each item must then be edited to finish-off. So it's all by single entry edit so far.... I need an automatic solution to this offering of feeds and such.

Thank you for all your expertise in advance.

You can use a CMS for only part of a site. it would jsut require you to build links in and out of it. I don't know about the bonus question, but it does seem like using a CMS would be like using a cannon to hunt deer.

LOL - yes cannon for a deer, you get my dilemma perfectly.
    But so far I haven't been able to find any other options....
    So what's a hungry person to do?

Can you post a link to an example of what you are describing with linking in and out of cms?

Thanks!

I don't have an example, but is fairly simple. A CMS, in most cases, is driven off of an index file that builds content out of a database. When you want the CMS page(s) just link to that index file with the appropriate reference to pull the right page from the database. Then, in the CMS, create a link that goes back to the main site. If you want to get fancy, you could create links to all of your pages in the CMS so that it integrates seamlesly.

Found it!

Okay I found the tool for the job - it's called loudblog and it's one cms job is to create rss and podcast feeds! I wish there were more choices in this category of cms', because I'm having troubles installing this one.

I unzipped and uploaded all the files, but when I try to load any of the pages index.php, install.php etc. I get a 500 internal server error.

I've checked my logs and nothing is there (more strangeness) anyone have any ideas when might be going wrong?

Thanks!

For those reading this - I have learned that there are many open source and pay-for CMS' you can drop into html page you already have. The features very greatly, so know what functionality you really require in your CMS before you go shopping around - go to hotscripts and do a search on php cms and you'll find more than you will want to read about. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jami View Post
    I unzipped and uploaded all the files, but when I try to load any of the pages index.php, install.php etc. I get a 500 internal server error.

I've checked my logs and nothing is there (more strangeness) anyone have any ideas when might be going wrong?
    I found that the script didn't want to run in a dir with full permissions due to security - I had to play with dir permissions or move it up to the root to get around this error.

For those of you searching for your podcasting solutions - visit this resource
    http://www.c4lpt.co.uk/Directory/Tools/podcasting.html