Thread: Message Board

Collective Soul ROCKS!

Message Board

Ok, I have a message board at my website. It's running on Mysql database and is an Ikonboard. A few minutes ago, I was trying to reply to a topic in two different forums. Everytime I tried to reply, it came up "Page Not Found" and an Unknown Error -1. However, if I click the link to post a New Topic, it goes straight to that page and lets me make a post. But, it won't let me reply to a current topic.

This has never been a problem before, and I wondered if it was a database problem suddenly or if my Ikonboard files suddenly messed up.

Oh, website is www.christiansouls.org

I don't have a clue myself...it baffles me. Thanks for any advice!
    Eric

It sounds like you may have some tables that need optimizing or repair.

Log into OPS to manage MySQL, click Administer to access your database, click Export and save a backup of your entire database before optimizing it. (If your database backup is corrupt, you may still contact PowWeb and hope they can restore a good backup if they have one.)

To optimize your database, click the name of the database in the left pane. Click Check All or Check Tables Having Overhead. Select Check Table in the drop down box first. If tables are okay, make another backup (export). If not, select Optimize Table. If there are still problems, select Repair Table. Be sure to make a backup of the best copy.

PowWeb makes backups but large databases are more difficult to backup and are often corrupt. There will only be a few recent backups and they may all be corrupt, if you didn't find the problem soon enough.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Collective Soul ROCKS!
    Well, the board is working fine now tonight. I didn't have time to do any of the things you suggested because it was late last night and I worked all day today. I just thought I'd see if it was working before I tried it and poof..it was! I forgot to mention that other members had been able to reply to topics, but I was the only one who couldn't. Could it have possibly just been a mysql problem on PowWeb's network at the time?
    Eric

The database server may have been slow or maintenance (PowWeb backups) could have been done at the time you experienced problems. You should still consider making your own backups and maintenance.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Collective Soul ROCKS!
    Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to take your advice and download backups and do that maintenance you mentioned. I've never done that, but I'll give it my best shot.

One other question...I'm considering changing that message board from Ikonboard to phpBB. Since I'm using a mysql database, can I export the database from Ikonboard, as you mentioned, and use it on phpBB? And how might I go about synchronizing those so that it's just like we stopped the first board and then picked up the next board in the exact same spot with no time lost and nothing missing?
    Eric

can I export the database from Ikonboard, as you mentioned, and use it on phpBB?
    You can't simply export the database exactly as it was created, because the database tables and fields must match exactly. You can try IB3 to phpBB2 converter and see if that works.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Soul-Haven, if you are considering a change, then you might want to visit http://www.ikonforums.com. A majority of the developers have left ikonboard and created ikonforums. Ikonboard is being run by one person, and is pretty much dead in the water.
    ....Thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...