Thread: phpBB

Collective Soul ROCKS!

phpBB

Is phpBB a pretty good message board system to use? I've been using Ikonboard, but am getting irritated with the inability to control spam registrations and posting. I saw that there were modifications you can do on phpBB that will pretty much eliminate spam registrations and posting. Any thoughts?
    Eric

phpBB3 is a great board to use. You can enable and vary the strength of CAPTCHA image presented to potential new registrations which is really cool. The problem as I see it on Powweb is new registrations confirmed or not (spammers) are stored in your database adding to it's backup size. You can manually delete 25/page. Any database over 10Mb here can create problems. I really like phpBB3's ability to set server load settings etc. though on a shared hosting environment these come back to haunt the dev group like a bad mushroom.

I suggest Simple Machines (all those who badgered me to say so for so long revel). I don't have enough experience in SM rego/post control to add value but the footprint left in general does seem lighter than phpBB's.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Collective Soul ROCKS!
    Ok, let me ask this question then. This is the link to the registration page of the phpBB admin that recommended me using phpBB. http://www.sovereigngracebaptistforu...er&agreed=true

As you see, he used a modification which allowed him to put in the mandatory field of "Authorization Code" which when you read it says that you can only get the answer by going to the main page of the forum and looking at who the forum moderator is. Therefore, it would seem to me that this resolves spammers because if they don't enter the correct code, it won't even allow their registration to begin. And if that's the case, it should keep the database lower in size correct? Or am I misunderstanding this?
    Eric

No, just as HTTP logs record all traffic - failed registrations and sucessful. phpBB records failed and sucessful attempts to register, Mod name or not. These entries are all recorded in the database.
    Croc Hunter MSC :