Thread: Listing a New site

Listing a New site

Is there a tutorial link on how to list your new site and what to do initially to set it up with search engines? Thanks
    ars

Rick
    All it takes to get listed in the search engines is one link from a well-established website. That's how search engines find most websites. You can also submit your site directly to most search engines, but that can be slow and does not guarantee your site will be included. Look for good quality sites whose main topic is related to yours. Search on "building links" and you'll find some good advice. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

I have also found that using the Google Webmaster Tools and submitting a site Map helps. It also seemed that if I put an AdSense ad on the site, it seemed to start showing up in search queries even faster.

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    Alot of people think thats just a case of submitting a URL through the "Add URL" page, but its not. If you dont have links pointing to you then search engine wont take much notice of you.

Ive been link building and writing content for one of my sites at the moment and it seems to have started to pay off as google has almost indexed the whole website.

So get link building and the bots will come. If your website fits the criteria, try submitting your website to DMOZ. DMOZ is an open directory that shares its index with 100's of websites. That means 100's of linkbacks.

Also, what entrecon says about sitemaps, they will also help and you can also submit a sitemap to yahoo aswell through yahoo! siteexplorer. Yahoo will index ALL of your pages really quickly.

But, just because your indexed will not mean that you will get hits from the search engines, you should also be thinking about Search Engine Optimization. You will find loads of stuff on the net about this, but i recommend "Search Engine Optimization for Dummies".

It is difficult to get a link exchange from another website until your website is listed on Google, Windows Live (formerly MSN) or Yahoo. You can submit your URL to Google and Windows Live without an account, while Yahoo requires an account.

Google offers information about submitting a sitemap.xml file or even a site map web page that contains URLs of web pages you want indexed in search engines. The site map helps search engines list more pages faster, but those pages should have unique TITLE text and META descriptions and keywords. If all pages have the same title, description and keywords, the listings may not be found in main results, but maybe supplemental results.

Windows Live will read a site map without having to submit it as done in Google Webmaster Tools (which requires a Google account). If you get an error submitting your site map, read Google's information and be sure your tags and URLs are okay. Also be careful with .htaccess files that may prevent access to the site map or URLs in the site map.

A link to your website from a website that is found on Google can help robots follow the link to your website. If you posted the link to your website in this forum, it is very likely to be found soon, but you are not supposed to "spam" the forum. You could ask people to visit it for a website review and post the link. The best links are those related to your website topic or target audience.

You can search Google for search engines, directories or "add URL" or "link exchange" to find websites where you can get an incoming link or a link exchange. Or you can look for forums where you are allowed to post your link in a conversation and that incoming link may be seen by readers and search engines.

You don't need to add too many links at one time. Websites are supposed to be developed and maintained over time. You can also consider social networking with MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or whatever others you may use to get others to visit or even promote your website. Some people may post links to your website in bulletins and emails if they like it. And some may offer link exchanges.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    great advice from Yvette there, however, i would say dont bother too much about your meta keywords tag. Search engines pay little or no attention. So pick the most relevant keywords or phrases and place them in. try keeping them to a maximum of 10 keywords or phrases.

Meta keywords are helpful to have in the source code when you submit your website to a directory that requests them. You can simply copy and paste them. It doesn't hurt to include them and there are still some meta searches out there even though some people try to get traffic by including popular keywords that may not be relevant.

I agree that you shouldn't have a large list of keywords and you aren't supposed to repeat them too often.

I reread the Google information as I wait for new websites to be indexed. My websites used to appear within days of submission on Google. One new website is for a client whose old home page is still cached. Since it was entirely in Flash, no other pages were indexed. Within the next crawl, it will hopefully cache the new version and follow the links to the other web pages.

Another new website is static HTML and has a link from another website (from the same client) that has top ranking for similar keyword phrases. I submitted the sitemap.xml file a few times. PowWeb servers had problems that made it difficult a few weeks ago. It was finally accepted, but Google says the sitemap won't guarantee inclusion. The link from the top ranked website does appear in Google's search, but the link may not have been followed. If I had a link to the website from this forum, the page may be indexed faster since Google visits forums (with updated contents) more often. The wait is annoying since I was so used to having sites included within days. The website appeared soon after submission to MSN and Yahoo, so Google seems more interested in links again.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    I found it hard getting my music website which i restructured to get indexed in google quickly, took months. Since i added decent description tags, H1 tags and content surrounding pages that dont really have content (ie tune pages) google has not only been indexing my site without problems im getting more and more hits from google, yahoo and other search engines.

Search Engine Optimization for Dummies was well worth the money

Now, its about time i used the same techniques with my other website :S

Registered
    A lot of it is just taking the time to build the site. You will get indexed if there are some links pointing to it, and if you keep adding content and making it better, people will find it interesting enough to return again in the future.

SEO Tutorials

I am building my third site with powweb usin site builder for this client and they want to know if Powweb has a suggested search engine listing tutorial link I can read and forward,
    Thank you. Allen
    ars

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    I think we already answered the question tbh. search engines dont really pay attention to people submitting to them using the "add a url" link, thats why they are hidden away. Search engine bots follow links, Ive seen websites that where NEVER submitted to search engines (including one of my blogs) getting listed in google. And this is because it was linked to.

Just point them to this thread as it gives all the info thats needed.

Or you could wait until I write an article on the subject

Registered
    Best Way fora new site to get listed in SE like google, yahoo is to get inboud link from those site allready having Page Rank with proper ANCHOR TEXT.
    Submission At SE are OLD Methods.

listing sites

All sounds good and I thank you for that. I forgot to ask this question to the experts out there. I did list my sites home page with dmoz and got listed on the 4th page of google in a short time with about 4 back links as you all suggested. Do I need to list my sub pages, I have about 45 pages in total, each related to fitness. So, should I submit all 45 subpages to dmoz and create backinks for all 45 pages? Each sub page has different keywords and meta tags, thanks to the tutorial someone sent me. I created 6 blogs from blogger.com, and each blog has a backlink from a well known fitness site. So, I am pretty well linked but should I list all 45 pages, or just home page? Thanks for your advice.
    ars