View Poll Results: Do you like my new web site.

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do.

4 57.14%
  • Yes if you can get me a deal on a new Dodge.

2 28.57%
  • Yes and how much is it.

0 0%
  • No.. I'm a Chevy man.

1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Here I go again, I must be crazy.

Here I go again, I must be crazy.

www.dodge-jim.com

This is not spam, but if you live in Colorado you can call me.

I have tried so many times, hope this one works.

Amateurs only need to reply so I can understand.

Thanks,
    Jim the car salesman.

Beta tester
    It's a neat little website. What did you use to create it?

Ya missed a comma in the Welcome at the top of the page.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

I find the font character/color hard to read on that background.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Just to let you know, I am working on it.

Croc, I lighten the colors.
    KitBear, I'm using Frontpage 2003.
    Doc C, tell me where it goes.

Thanks,
    Jim

Between Golden and Colorado unless you mean the state of Colorado is that color.
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around

-William D. Tammeus

Can someone who resides in CA buy a car in CO without a problem?

-William D. Tammeus

I'm not crazy about Flash navigation. I won't get into the discussion about accessibility since the website sells cars, so visitors should not be visually impaired. My concern is that people shop for cars from work where the Flash player may not be installed or enabled. The majority of visitors would be able to navigate the website, but everyone could if CSS was used instead to change the appearance of each button. (I know. Jim is not a programming whiz and will probably leave the navigation "as is".)

The background color could be brighter or one of the famous Dodge colors. The layout is nice and fits the screen resolution I use. When I look at each car, I see images, but I have to click to view a PDF to get information. It probably works for the average Dodge buyer like my in-laws. I like to read specifications and make comparisons for size, space, miles per gallon and stuff you would read in Consumer Reports. The website works as a great teaser to get people to the dealership after seeing an assortment of cars in which the people already have an interest.

With the current economy being poor, many dealerships in my area stopped selling NEW cars and only sell USED cars. It is interesting to see this website with NEW cars listed.

I think it would be more helpful to include the phone number and email address in the World of Dodge box where it would be more likely to be seen. They could be included at the bottom of each page if someone scrolls, too.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Yvette,

Thanks for the tips. I sale new and used cars, the scrolling cars are used.
    I had a web site that had lots of black and red (Dodge colors) but it was a little too much. I just finished working on this one and added an address and phone number. I'll take your advise and add gas mileage and maybe horse power to the picture pages when I get the time. In the mean time, give me a call if you need a Dodge.

I remember your previous version of your website. Your design has improved. The links at the bottom definitely help.

I like the Used Car Specials that vertically scroll. I can't afford NEW cars and have done well with the certified used cars. I personally don't put a lot of miles on my cars, but my husband definitely does.

I met my husband at a classic car show hosted by a local Mopar club. I drove a Chevy and my husband drove a 1967 Mustang fastback. My husband used to have a Dodge Warlock in the 1970s. He had a bunch of Fords and a GMC van when we met, but now he is driving Chevy since that is what I buy!

Do you make arrangements with other dealerships or shippers if someone from another state would buy a car from you? My late grandfather worked with a Chevy dealership in Arkansas (when he lived there) and transported vehicles to buyers. My in-laws trash and replace cars and should shop for better prices. They should be able to get warranty service from any Dodge dealership, shouldn't they?
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Thumbs up

I think it's a really good and well laid out site!
    Never trust statistics unless you fiddled the figures yourself!

www.seawitchartist.com

Much nicer that your previous works

There's something that I just "don't like" about the text at the top. I can't put my finger on it, but the World of Dodge "stuff" should be the topmost item. The site is so symmetrical, that I'm not really sure where you would put the topmost text. When I first viewed it, I thought it was an error message

I'm one of those that Yvette refers to that blocks javascript and flash. Something to consider. I did turn it on for this session, and the script stuff is very nice, but Yvette's warning about others not allowing such things should maybe be a consideration. Bells and whistles will never replace a good clean site that works.

But, all in all, it looks very nice and clean. Keep up the good work

symo
    Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
    - Philip K. Dick

Jim's World of Dodge has been updated.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. After working so long on the old one, I had to walk away and give it a break. I went back to the Dodge colors and added a little more flash just to mess with Yvette. It's not totally done, but close enough. I do have one problem I just can't seem to fix, maybe you all can help. I just don't know how to explain it.

#1. http://www.dodge-jim.com

#2. http://dodge-jim.com

My navigation does not seem to work with #2, when you click on a model of the car you want , it opens in a new page instead of opening in the frame of the home page.

Any comments will help.

Jim

added a little more flash just to mess with Yvette
    I clicked the links and didn't notice the changes at first, then I realized that the car model names appeared as links for cars and I could click to see something new. Using iframes is not recommended if you hope to get found on search engines organically (from good design). Fortunately, you included the text links at the bottom of the page. The navigation isn't working properly and the source code doesn't validate.

when you click on a model of the car you want , it opens in a new page instead of opening in the frame of the home page.
    I didn't see that. I was viewing in Firefox. Look for a target value or frame source value that is incorrect. I found it.

a target="I2" was found in your source code. When the target is anything other than self or blank, it should open in a new window.

HTML Code:
    <style fprolloverstyle>A:hover {color: #FF0000}
    </style>
    The fprolloverstyle looks like Front Page code that would only work in Front Page. It is not valid code. It should be like this:

HTML Code:
    <style>a:hover {color: #FF0000}
    </style>
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

I ran into the same thing as Yvette RE: thinking the links didnt work. I like the effect, but perhaps doing something else to draw attention to it is in order?

I like the design/layout much better than my recollection of the previous site

Thanks for the hover thingy.

But did you see the difference between 1 and 2 ?

From what i see is #1 the cars open in the front page Iframe and #2 opens the cars in a new page.

tpoynton - maybe if I made the car link look like buttons it would be easier to notice.

But did you see the difference between 1 and 2 ?
    Links 1 and 2 showed the same website, I thought.

From what i see is #1 the cars open in the front page Iframe and #2 opens the cars in a new page.
    The target attribute for a link will open in a new window if specified to do so. Your DOCTYPE isn't specified and xhtml doesn't support frames. Try html transitional and see if you can validate your code.

maybe if I made the car link look like buttons it would be easier to notice.
    You could use span to change the background to yellow where the car links appear. It would look like yellow highlighting like those markers used to highlight text in books.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

I redesign to make it work and look better.

My map page on goggle is reaching the top but my web site disappeared.

www.dodge-jim.com

I didnt get the idea behind having your own advert on the page... and at the top as if it were the main heading. At first I thought it was just an advert and wondered why it had more presence than information about what your site was for.

My suggestion would be to put a static image as headline graphic with the "Cherry Creek Dodge, Colorado Largest Dodge Dealership" tag line, and not to use the advert lookalike.

I wonder if a lot of people do as I did (and I get the irony of whay I am going to say YvetteKuhns) and blank the ad, and are left having to scan around trying to find out what the site is about.

It's an animated logo not an "advert lookalike". It's for a car dealership and they always have flash and movement.

-William D. Tammeus

That may be. I just called it as I saw it. I opened the page and looked around, came to comment, and only on my second look did I realise that it was actually the "header" for the site. I completely blanked it first look and wondered why the "title" had taken second place.

Oh, and I am in the car industry remember, and buy cars too.

I'm in the IT industry and I buy 'em too.

-William D. Tammeus

hahaha Fair enough. What I meant though was that I spend a lot of time looking at car sites of all kinds on the web.

Just having another look, and had another idea. This would work well I think. Contrary to what I said before you could keep the flash thing but blend it into a header that made it obvious that it was part of the site. I did a quick pic to show what I mean.

Doc, the more I look at it the more I think it is a cool thing to do (I am coming around) although I still stand that it can be mistaken for an ad at the moment. This would help fix that perhaps.

Of course the it would only balance to the flash graphic occasionaly as it stands at the moment...but it may be enough. The flash graphic could also be adjusted slightly to hold this graphic a little longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice banner melonball, I add a new URL to my website www.dodgecherrycreek.com and goggles ranks it one more higher than the other URL. This has got me more calls and emails. I am almost afraid to mess with my web site so my raking won't go down.

I went to a funeral a few weeks ago and thought of you since there were a bunch of Dodges parked in a row! It was my in-laws. I went to one last night and saw a lot of Chevy trucks and vans. It was my father's side of the family.

I don't mind the Flash banner as melonball showed as long as it looks like a logo and not an ad. You want people to read it, not ignore it! If you don't change the other text, your ranking shouldn't change just by editing your logo banner.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

I like your in-laws.

My flash banner was made on one of those Flash Maker sites and I don't have a lot of control over stretching it out without it getting fatter.

So... I'll just leave it alone.

I change my website again.

www.westdenverdodge.com