Thread: To Joomla, or not to Joomla? That is the not-so shakespearian question

Question To Joomla, or not to Joomla? That is the not-so shakespearian question

Hi all,

I'm thinking about trying out Joomla on my site (at the mo it's a very basic static html/css setup ) as I want to be able to add a bit of dynamic content. Basically, I'd like to hear what people think of Joomla and its ability to do the following:

- have phpBB integrated into a Joomla-powered site
    - create a blog section for registered users
    - create a book reviewing section for registered users

Thanks,
    Rob
    I thought your dad was called Coco and he got hit by the milk truck! - Chris Griffin

I love my Joomla sites, just because it reduces the amount of raw coding I have to do. I do this as a hobby and don't have the amount of time I would like to build sites from scratch. Joomla allows you to quickly try things out, but you do lose a certain level of control. As far as your specific points:
    - I have not integrated phpBB, I have used a couple of other forum packages and they seem to work nicely.
    - Creating blogs and other sections for registered users is extremely easy. You can also create various levels of access
    - A book review section could either be included as part of the forum software, or in an article section. On one site I played with I installed a plug-in that allowed comments on articles.

If you have alot of users, and want to build a "community" on your site, definately take a look at the Community Builder Component/Module/Plugins. I have this on a site and it is a great way to manage users and allow them to interact to a certain extent.

The last thing I LOVE with Joomla is that I can update it from anywhere! I don't have to have all my tools at my disposal just to add/modify content. I just need an internet connection. You just login to the admin section make your updates and your on your way!

Joomla is one of the best cms solutions for the things you describe and it is known to work here. Be sure to make a backup of the website and database when you have it configured the way you want it.

If you already have phpbb3 running, you can integrate it into Joomla using a bridge. Ask questions on the Joomla forum if you need help.

Read Setting up a Free Joomla Blog for your blog. Some people use Word Press with Joomla for reviews while others pay for JReviews. Search for review scripts for joomla to see what is currently available.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Hey, thanks for the replies guys! I'll get Googling...
    I thought your dad was called Coco and he got hit by the milk truck! - Chris Griffin

for an alternative view...I've recently started using a 'collectivex' site (www.collectivex.com); it provides a blog, discussion forum, etc. I worry about using a CMS because I dont have the time or energy to stay on top of the security needs, so having someone else manage all that for me is appealing. While it is free, you do have to tolerate ads and limited options for appearance, but it is a trade off worthwhile for me. You can pay money to have 'branding' and other expanded options.

Quote Originally Posted by tpoynton View Post
    for an alternative view...I've recently started using a 'collectivex' site
    Hi, thanks for the tip. I had a look and I think I'm after something with a bit more control (which I know will mean more work on it, but never mind...)