Thread: Joomla templates...

Joomla templates...

Hi everyone,

I noticed that a fair few people seem to have used Joomla to make sites on Powweb. Also, many of those seem to use customised templates so my question is this: how easy is it to make a custom Joomla template?

I've already taught myself a decent chunk of XHTML, CSS and am currently working my way through a book on Joomla. I glanced at the "how to make Joomla templates" section and it seems to imply that some knowledge of PHP is required? Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
    Rob
    I thought your dad was called Coco and he got hit by the milk truck! - Chris Griffin

The knowledge of PHP is helpful. It all depends on how much custom work you are trying to do.

If you start from scratch, you will obviously need to know more than if you find one that is close to what you like and then jsut modify it. The amount of PHP, however, is fairly minimal. Most of the PHP is in the modules you load and the templates just call the modules.

Entrecon, thanks for the quick reply.

I had wondered about finding a good template and modifying it. The only issue I could think of was that it might take a while to try and figure out someone else's (ie. the template author's) code and so familiarise myself with the template before modifying it...
    I thought your dad was called Coco and he got hit by the milk truck! - Chris Griffin

I have looked at them and modified the little bit that I have needed. The hardest issue I have had is digging out the CSS.

My suggestion is to grab a couple templates and look at the code and see what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
    The hardest issue I have had is digging out the CSS.
    That's exactly what I'm worried about, especially seeing as I'm a relative noob when it comes to CSS...

Quote Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
    My suggestion is to grab a couple templates and look at the code and see what you find.
    I've downloaded a few but haven't had chance to look at them in detail just yet. I've got a local XAMPP installation so that makes it easier to play around with things before going live. I don't suppose you know of any good Joomla template sites?

Thanks,
    Rob

The one I usually dig through is a German site. They have a TON of templates for the various Joomla versions.

Some knowledge? Umm.. Joomla will not even install without a PHP environment running..

"Don't judge a book by it's cover then never believe all you read" -Me

Pure PHP is so efficent people junk it up with HTML. Like Python Ruby and AJAX, PHP is all to often filled with junk because it's so efficient. Evident when in reverse as parsing HTML as PHP chokes 10 fold. Joomla like any common CMS combines languages. I've seen massive Joomla and even phpFusion CMS go down due to Block, Mod, Template etc bloat on dedicated servers.

Stick to the vanilla basics Rob, concentrate on content.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Entrecon, thanks for the website tip!

Croc Hunter, I know I need a PHP environment running (with Apache and MySQL to test on a local server before going live) but I think I didn't quite explain my question properly with hindsight...

I wanted to know if a great deal of PHP coding knowledge was required to make a custom Joomla template, as opposed to "will Joomla run without any trace of PHP?" which would just be silly...

Rob, can you edit your sig so it's a tad smaller? Thanks.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

That's what I'm saying Rob, yes you need extensive PHP knowledge and have a solid grasp on HTML to create Joomla templates from the ground up.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Hi Doc C, sorry I'll edit my sig now.

Hi Croc Hunter, thanks for the clarification. I'm getting to grips with working the backend of Joomla so I'll crrack on with learning some PHP next...

Cheers,
    Rob