Thread: Some URLs in the Sitemap have a high response time?

Webmaster, DJ, Producer

Some URLs in the Sitemap have a high response time?

One of the URL's on my music website got a warning from google stating:

"Some URLs in the Sitemap have a high response time"

I dont think its slow at all when visiting it now, if anything was slowing it down it would probably be google adsense. So its either that or powweb servers.

Im not putting a heavy load on the servers to cause any problems, although i was editing that page and various others yesterday. Could googlebot have tried to download it at a time when I was editing it?

For some odd reason google wont let me change the crawl rate, just in case that was the problem, so I dont know what to do about this.

I think it is PowWeb servers, because I have seen that message for some of my clients. I think it was for clients using php and/or mysql.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    im using some php. yesterday someone who was trying to go back to my home page said they got a "this page cannot be displayed" page. I came online to see if the link he clicked on was giving him a 404 page only to find out the link was fine and everthing was running.

The things is, ive read that google is dropping the search rankings of slow loading pages. So this better not happen on a regular basis.

The page in particular, I added some php coding yesterday, but not much.

Rick
    There's a Crawl Stats tool in the Statistics section of the Google Webmaster Tools console that will show you the downloading speed Google has seen for your site for the past couple of months. In my experience, when the downloading speed starts to average above 600-800ms, Google will significantly reduce your crawl rate and won't let you request an increase. A plain HTML page should download in under 200ms. On a good day, I'd expect a dynamic page on a shared host should still be under 500ms.

Downloading speed isn't a ranking factor. The only effect it might have on your rankings is that it will take longer for any changes you make to your site to impact your rankings. So, on the whole, it's better to have a responsive site with a nominal-to-fast crawl rate. But it's not a disaster if you have a slow crawl rate. And I've found that if you're conscientiously updating your XML Sitemap with reliable <lastmod> settings, you'll tend to see Googlebot re-crawling those pages promptly.
    Rick Trethewey

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    btw, i use xml-sitemaps.com to create my sitemap. I choose for the crawler to get the last mod date and time from the server. But for some odd reason it doest get anything. Any ideas why?

btw, i use xml-sitemaps.com to create my sitemap. I choose for the crawler to get the last mod date and time from the server. But for some odd reason it doest get anything. Any ideas why?
    I create my own sitemaps and do not use last mod in it since people are known to use the incorrect dates or forget to update the page or sitemap. Maybe there is a problem if the page modified date does not match what you have in the sitemap.xml file.

You can mention your sitemap.xml file in your robots.txt file for search engines to discover it.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    The crawler im talking about is the sitemap generators crawler at xml-sitemaps.com. for some strange reason it isnt able to get the "last-modified" http header from my web pages. I would understand if my web pages where .php pages, but they arent.

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    On xml-sitemaps it gives you the option "Use server's response". TBH, i never use any of the optional fields either.

Oh, I see. I have tried the sitemap generator in the past and the crawlers choked on it like you are experiencing. I chose to stop using lastmod, but in your situation, it would be helpful if it worked. The date must appear in the exact format they like (YYYY-MM-DD) and I omit the time. Are you including the time?
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

I was typing while the other post appeared.

On xml-sitemaps it gives you the option "Use server's response".
    I agree with that.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    erm, forgive me for being dumb, but I have never used last-modified at all in anything. I take it its a header tag i have to put in then?

Cos ive never used anything like that, as ive always prefered simplicity, I dont really know much about it.

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    Quote Originally Posted by YvetteKuhns View Post
    I agree with that.
    Unfortunately its that option that doesnt give me the lastmod. For some reason it doesnt seem to get the server response

The server response doesn't work or match sometimes. I have problems with sitemaps and PowWeb servers, too. That is why I stopped using it.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

The lastmod tag is optional....

This date should be in W3C Datetime format. This format allows you to omit the time portion, if desired, and use YYYY-MM-DD....

This profile defines two ways of handling time zone offsets:

1. Times are expressed in UTC (Coordinated Universal Time), with a special UTC designator ("Z").

2. Times are expressed in local time, together with a time zone offset in hours and minutes. A time zone offset of "+hh:mm" indicates that the date/time uses a local time zone which is "hh" hours and "mm" minutes ahead of UTC.
    From Google sitemap Help

In my case, EST=GMT+ 5 hours.

See Time format for <lastmod> tag towards the end of the page.
    Last edited by YvetteKuhns; 5-13-09 at 09:48 AM. Reason: towards END, not MIDDLE of page
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Rick
    For modest-sized sites, I've had good luck with http://sitemap.xmlecho.org/sitemap/

As I said before, <lastmod> can be helpful if you keep it updated so that Google comes to rely on it. If you don't plan on keeping it updated, it's probably best to omit it anyway.
    Rick Trethewey

Webmaster, DJ, Producer
    That website does the exact same thing as xml-sitemaps. exept you have to log in, on xml-sitemaps you dont have to log in.

And it didnt get the lastmod info.

As I said before, <lastmod> can be helpful if you keep it updated so that Google comes to rely on it. If you don't plan on keeping it updated, it's probably best to omit it anyway.
    I agree.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design