Thread: Website Maker Newbie (Somewhat)

Registered

Website Maker Newbie (Somewhat)

Hi everyone, I'm creating a website for a big school project and I realize there are so many options on how to begin. The website I want to build will need to include forums and possibly chat rooms. I realize this might be a challege for me, but i do have some (very limited) programming knowlegde and basic HMTL knowlegde.

I'm up for the challege of creating this website, I just need a push in the right direction.

What do u recomend? I tried out Site Delux but i can't figure out if u can add forums. and whats FTP????

Hi there,

I'm a relative newbie at web developing myself so I hope I can appreciate where you're coming from.

I'd imagine that you'd need a fairly sturdy CMS to pull off what you're aiming for. I use Joomla! 1.5 on my laptop before publishing to the host via FTP.

Also, FTP stands for "File Transfer Protocol" (see here for more info.) If you want to use anything like forums or CMSs then you'll need to use FTP in an FTP client (such as FileZilla) quite a bit.

Hope this helps,
    Rob
    I thought your dad was called Coco and he got hit by the milk truck! - Chris Griffin

Just remember that these forums are for people who have their hosting with PowWeb and answers may not apply to the general populace. And note that people here are willing to assist but won't do your work for you. There's been way too much of that around here.
    "You don't really understand human nature
    unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around
    -- and why his parents will always wave back."

-William D. Tammeus

Registered
    Oh yeah, and I'd like to add that i already have a domain name and host website (Powweb). Right now, I'm trying to find the best way to go about creating my webpages and getting them up on my site.

Take a look at phpFusion, it's a CMS like Joomla. FTP is a method of moving files from your computer to your space on Powwebs servers and vice-versa. I agree with Rob there, FileZilla is good (or CyberDuck if you're on a Mac). phpFusion has forums, galleries, shout boxes (chat), etc. and is easy to customise. You'll find install help files in the download.
    Croc Hunter MSC :