Thread: LOCK files problem?

Registered

LOCK files problem?

For some reason, my image gallery collection have stopped functioning. Only 5 out of the original 20 or so galleries show up in the first place, and for most of them the highlight pic is gone. The images themselves are fine, I've just checked my site via FTP and everything is there & approachable.

Looking at the /albums directory it seems there may be something wrong with the .LOCK files:

- album.dat.lock
    - albumdb.dat.lock

since they both have a 0 (zero) file size. But I am not sure if this can cause the sort of errors as described above? I am using the old Gallery 1.4.2, btw (new version is way too slow + heavy for my needs).

Any suggestions? Can I somehow rebuild the LOCK files or do you think something else is wrong?

Many thanks,
    regards MG

Rick
    I'm not familiar with the Gallery software, but I have something you can try until you get better advice.

Lock files are generally used as 'file-in-use' markers in multi-user environments to prevent more than one user at a time from having access to critical files. So there's rarely any content in them. Try renaming these .lock files to something you can easily reverse and see if that fixes things. If so, delete the renamed files. If not, rename the files back to their original file names and wait for better advice. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

When was the last time that you knew they were working?

Registered

Unhappy

Thanks @rainbore, that was a useful suggestion. I tried renaming the LOCK files and it seems nothing changed. So the problem probably isn't related to those files.

@entrecon, the gallery worked fine some time ago (I don't check it much myself but friends and family look at the pages every now and then).

If you look at http://giesbers.net/gallery you'll see what I mean in terms of missing highlights, empty albums and albums gone missing altogether (there are a whole lot more than 7 albums in my /albums directory).

It looks like some sort of index file being corrupted.
    Any suggestions what may be causing this?